Why do I have such a low score in this test?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

JonathanCampbell99
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 May 2016, 4:24 pm

I took The Cambridge Mindreading Face-Voice Battery Test and I found it very difficult, I got 56% in both parts but it's below the average for males with an ASD and suspected ASD, did I get such a low score because I didn't understand the words or because I didn't understand the words, voices and emotions? And I'm wondering would an introverted male/female get a score about 80 in the Systemising Quotient Test or just Autistic males/females? I got 86 in the Systemising Quotient and 15 in the Empathy Quotient. Sorry about posting so much.

arkatron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2016, 11:16 am

From what I've read, the point is that ASD is related to not being able to tell the intonation in the voices and the emotions in the faces, but not so much that you don't understand the meaning of the words they say or the ones that you have to choose from to answer the questions. I found the Voice portion to be incredibly easy because it was so stereotyped.

A woman screams, "Please help me!" Is her emotion: A. Pleading B. Menacing C. Enthusiastic D. Threatening.

What part of this would you have a problem with?

I've read that phrase described so many times in books. I don't need to hear it to answer the question. The faces were more difficult since they are more complex and vague. I scored below average for ASD.

As for your second, question: I don't know. I wonder if any research has been done on introversion and EQ/SQ. I don't think it's the same as shyness, social anxiety, or high sensitivity, but rather just a temperament...

JonathanCampbell99
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2016, 11:54 am

Maybe I just didn't understand the intonation of some of the voices and the facial expressions. The faces was the hardest bit for me. Am I just an idiot? :|

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 1:21 pm

In social situations and these things, I just use my common sense and context than reading tone or facial expressions so when someone screams "Please help me" I do not see how that is threatening since she isn't saying "Please help me or I will (insert action here)" and she can't possibly he happy because you are not happy when you are asking for help and the explanation mark indicates she is screaming and the fact the user in this thread said she is screaming. So that would leave menacing or pleading so it would have to be one of those two. But looking up the word pleading, I think the word menacing would fit the question more so I would select that as the best choice since the definition said presence of danger so if the woman was screaming, she had to have been in danger to scream "Please help me" or otherwise she would have said it in her normal tone of voice if she wasn't in any trouble or threatening situation.

That was how I always did it so I had no idea people went by tone or facial expressions. To me voices are either normal or loud or quiet. With faces there is smiling and crying and pouting. If someone were to just talk to me in a normal tone of voice, I wouldn't even guess they were mad at me but if they were telling me how they are not happy about this and how much it upsets them, then I would assume they are not happy with me because I am going by context and what they are telling me.

I remember when I was eight my speech therapist had asked me if she is happy and I looked at her face and she wasn't frowning, she wasn't yelling, she was not crying so I said she was happy. That was the only possible answer that was left because she wasn't doing the other things so therefore she had to be happy even if she wasn't smiling. But the problem was then I didn't go by context of the situation. We were talking about what I had done to a girl in my class and then she asked me if she was happy. I should have said no than going by facial expression and tone. I should have looked at the big picture and see the context of the situation to get the correct answer but I didn't do that. I do that now. So I assumed that is what everyone did but apparently not so that just shows how my brain works different than the norm. But that is how I do it.

Okay I realized I have lied in this post, I can read some tone and facial expressions but only when they are very obvious such as when you scream at me or laugh or smile and that woman screaming to please help me, that was reading tone of voice. Sometimes I goof up with it because I have mistaken screaming as someone being mad at me. But now I look at context like if the kid is doing something dangerous and the adult screams at them, I think they are screaming because they are scared and it's to catch the child's attention, not because they are mad at them. As a kid I always thought you were mad at me if you yelled at me for something dangerous I did. Even in high school and middle school I had a hard time grasping it until my late teen years. But I am sure NTs goof up with reading tone of voice too sometimes so the other person has to correct them when they have read them wrong. Then they move on.

I have also gotten a low score on body language tests while other aspies got a higher score on them because they also say it's easier to read people in pictures because you have time to process it and study it because it's still but in real life things go on too quickly for them to even have time to process it. I saw one picture of a man and woman holding onto the rope and my first thought was they were fighting but I looked at the multiple choice answers and I also looked at their faces and saw teeth so I thought they had to be smiling and if they are smiling they have to just be playing than fighting or otherwise they wouldn't be smiling. You have to be detail orientated so that could be why people with ADHD also misread people and lack reading body language because of their inattention to detail while for autistic people they do see all that but they can't interpret it due to TOM issues.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2016, 1:40 pm

JonathanCampbell99 wrote:
Would an introverted male/female get a score about 80 in the Systemising Quotient Test or just Autistic males/females? I got 86 in the Systemising Quotient and 15 in the Empathy Quotient. Sorry about posting so much.

I'm incredibly introverted and I scored well below even the NT average on the SQ. My EQ score was even worse.

JonathanCampbell99
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2016, 4:00 pm

Grahzmann wrote:
JonathanCampbell99 wrote:
Would an introverted male/female get a score about 80 in the Systemising Quotient Test or just Autistic males/females? I got 86 in the Systemising Quotient and 15 in the Empathy Quotient. Sorry about posting so much.

I'm incredibly introverted and I scored well below even the NT average on the SQ. My EQ score was even worse.

There must be something wrong with me then if I got a score over 80 and it says 3 times as many people with Asperger's syndrome score above 80. My empathy score was 15 which is below average than what people without Asperger's syndrome would score.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2016, 4:58 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. 80 sounds about average for an aspie given that is what it does say people with AS score three times as much above 80 and you say you got a 86 so what's the problem?

I have also scored below 20 on EQ tests while it says most aspies score around 20 and I have seen many aspies say they got a low score that was below 20.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

JonathanCampbell99
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2016, 5:27 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it. 80 sounds about average for an aspie given that is what it does say people with AS score three times as much above 80 and you say you got a 86 so what's the problem?

I have also scored below 20 on EQ tests while it says most aspies score around 20 and I have seen many aspies say they got a low score that was below 20.

The problem is that I haven't been diagnosed with Asperger's, but I am on the referral list to the local Autism Services, I have scored 56% in the Cambridge Face-Voice Battery Test which is borderline for males with ASD which was 63.6% and males with suspected ASD but far lower than the neurotypical average which is confusing, I have scored 182 on the RAAD-R test which is above the average for males with suspected ASD and males with ASD, I have neurotypical and neurodiverse traits, I scored 13 on the mind reading in film test which is wee bit higher than males with suspected ASD and males with ASD.

I might be overreacting but my grandmother said to me that she thinks I have a touch of Autism and my aunt thinks I have Asperger's, I agree with them but why is my grandmother denying that I might have Autism, she even said to me that I put things into my head and she says that I don't have it, I'm getting very confused now. Should I go for the diagnosis if I am offered an appointment.