Page 4 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 10:04 am

Quote:
I'll admit that I have a tendency to scorn things that are popular because I get sick of all the attention they get

Quote:
My favorite music tends to be stuff I don't hear other people listening to around me

So you're a hipster, then. :wink:

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 10:15 am

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:
I'll admit that I have a tendency to scorn things that are popular because I get sick of all the attention they get

Quote:
My favorite music tends to be stuff I don't hear other people listening to around me

So you're a hipster, then. :wink:

I was a hipster before it was even a popular term. I'm a meta-hipster; a hipster about being a hipster.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 11:58 am

I was looking at reading glasses on line and found several styles I liked.Clicked to see if they came in the power I'd need only to discover they were clear lenses.Poser glasses.Whats next fake metal braces for the teeth?

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 12:05 pm

Bow ties and pocket protectors all around!
Hmmm what's the dress code for female nerds?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 12:24 pm

They had star war toys in stores in the early 90s. Even though I didn't much know what it was despit swing the movies as a 5 year old. I got the toys. One was luc in a red storm trooper outfit that the helmet comes off. And I also got a storm trooper.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 12:34 pm

I walked to the theater to see the first Star Wars movie.A friend with me,he had thick glasses and was already building radios from scratch.We throughly enjoyed the movie.Afterwards when walking home,the excitement from the movie and the prospect of showing him a big log across the creek distracted me.I was going to dare him to walk across it.The last boy who did dropped his spelling book in it.I watched in horror as it floated downstream.He did the unpardonable,lost a book!!Even worse,a school book.
So I forgot to look both ways before crossing the creek and got hit by a car.lol How nerdy can you get.
I wasn't hurt,just bruised.Told them it was my fault and apologized.Someone called an ambulance.When they arrived my friend bailed.The ambulance man thought it was rude of him.I didn't,I knew why he did.I knew I would have also bailed.Just too much stimulation.
Now when it's cold and damp that hip aches.I call it my Star Wars hip.A forever reminder.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 12:47 pm

Outrider wrote:
My definition of a nerd is someone with genuinely obscure and unconventional interests, typically ones based on various forms of science, mathematics, programming, technology, or politics or philosophy.

Some people's definition is anyone who has a lot of knowledge about the topic they're interested in but I disagree with this one.

A nerd to me is someone genuinely odd, tech-savvy, and having less than average social skills or interest in socialization.

Maybe they read expansive political theory or philosophical texts, write and read lots of poetry, enjoy science and mathetmatics.

My 'nerd/geek' side is my knowledge of electronic music and as an electronic musician I am an electronic music geek.

Someone into all this trendy rubbish is just a trend-follower.

Examples of true nerds/geeks: Einstein, Newton, Zuckerberg, Jobs, Da Vinci, etc.......

You're talking about geeks . Geeks and nerds aren't the same thing.
People really into a topic are geeks, science geek, tech geek, gun geek etc.

Nerds are fans of some form of entertainment.

Geek was simply a bad word to describe someone who's obsessed with something unlike nts.

"Heathers such a hi sorry geek, all she does is go one and on about the Roman Empire."

If you're really into scifi your a scifi nerd.

I'm both nerd and geek. I suck at tech, science , meth (programming is just tech and math) basically you described yourself and are saying only you and people exactly like you are nerds. Why do you feel the need to invalidate people like those who say we don't have aspergers do?

Is it so you can call the rest of us losers with the popular people?

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2016, 1:25 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:
Also, the new Star Trek movies are stupid and Star Wars has always been popular

Star Wars has NOT always been popular. During the late eighties and early nineties, you literally couldn't find a single item of Star Wars merchandise in stores. There were no movies, no tv shows. A few books you could maybe find in the dusty corner of a comic book shop (no internet shopping back then). It was very nerdy and had pretty much disappeared from public awareness. I am super excited about The Force Awakens, and it almost certainly wouldn't have been made if nerd culture wasn't so "popular" at the moment.

I remember in the late 80s, Star Wars was popular in my area. I remember very well the Ewok fad. Every amusement park had Star Wars-themed things. And there were plenty of toys. Boys loved it.

YippySkippy wrote:
Honestly, nerd kids have no idea how good they have it these days. When I was a kid, we were lucky to get ONE sci-fi/fantasy movie in the theaters in an entire year. And we loved that movie, no matter what flaws it had, because we were so excited/desperate for anything that the world threw in our direction. And let me tell you, a lot of them were much much worse than the new Star Trek movies, which are actually pretty enjoyable. Heck, we even tried our darnedest to like the Star Wars prequels.

Meh, many science-fiction and fantasy movies don't have a solid script nowadays. People go see them almost only for special effects and 3D, and there isn't much innovation. Good science-fiction is now in video games, and a few TV shows IMO. Good science-fiction movies are likely to be relatively low budget ones now.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 2:08 pm

Maybe it's also that ASD are more likely to take off the masks when submersed in nerd and geek cultures.

Poor motivation

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 2:15 pm

Quote:
They had star war toys in stores in the early 90s. Even though I didn't much know what it was despit swing the movies as a 5 year old. I got the toys. One was luc in a red storm trooper outfit that the helmet comes off. And I also got a storm trooper

They released (or re-released) a handful of toys when the "Special Edition" movies came out in 1997.
So from about 1984 (ROTJ came out in '83) to 1997 there was nothing.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 2:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel Nerd Culture is better than No Culture at All.

What's the harm in somebody being into alternative things?

Not a dang thing.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 4:12 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:
They had star war toys in stores in the early 90s. Even though I didn't much know what it was despit swing the movies as a 5 year old. I got the toys. One was luc in a red storm trooper outfit that the helmet comes off. And I also got a storm trooper

They released (or re-released) a handful of toys when the "Special Edition" movies came out in 1997.
So from about 1984 (ROTJ came out in '83) to 1997 there was nothing.

Then how'd my brother get ewak village, and minlliaum falcon play sets?

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Then how'd my brother get ewak village, and minlliaum falcon play sets?

I'm sure I don't know.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 5:07 pm

Quote:
Maybe it's also that ASD are more likely to take off the masks when submersed in nerd and geek cultures.

This is an interesting idea. Do you think it's because we get so excited we forget to wear a social mask, or because we sense the presence of other aspies and feel comfortable?

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2016, 6:53 am

sly279 wrote:
Outrider wrote:
My definition of a nerd is someone with genuinely obscure and unconventional interests, typically ones based on various forms of science, mathematics, programming, technology, or politics or philosophy.

Some people's definition is anyone who has a lot of knowledge about the topic they're interested in but I disagree with this one.

A nerd to me is someone genuinely odd, tech-savvy, and having less than average social skills or interest in socialization.

Maybe they read expansive political theory or philosophical texts, write and read lots of poetry, enjoy science and mathetmatics.

My 'nerd/geek' side is my knowledge of electronic music and as an electronic musician I am an electronic music geek.

Someone into all this trendy rubbish is just a trend-follower.

Examples of true nerds/geeks: Einstein, Newton, Zuckerberg, Jobs, Da Vinci, etc.......

You're talking about geeks . Geeks and nerds aren't the same thing.
People really into a topic are geeks, science geek, tech geek, gun geek etc.

Nerds are fans of some form of entertainment.

Geek was simply a bad word to describe someone who's obsessed with something unlike nts.

"Heathers such a hi sorry geek, all she does is go one and on about the Roman Empire."

If you're really into scifi your a scifi nerd.

I'm both nerd and geek. I suck at tech, science , meth (programming is just tech and math) basically you described yourself and are saying only you and people exactly like you are nerds. Why do you feel the need to invalidate people like those who say we don't have aspergers do?

Is it so you can call the rest of us losers with the popular people?

Nooooooo....I am neither a nerd nor geek.

I just mentioned i have a slight nerd/geek side, as in probably 10% of my personality is and not much beyond that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek

Your definition of geek and nerd are correct, however I must add a question:

Don't nerds and geeks by your definition overlap?

Someone extremely interested in entertainment would be an entertainment geek and nerd at the same time.

This is why it's easy for me to say they overlap.

In today's society a nerd/geek is someone into sci-fi, anime, technology, comic books, superheroes, etc.

Why?

Because by liking the entertainment they are nerds, and by being obsessed or extremely interested in said entertainment they are also geeks.

So I consider them the same thing...

But that is by 'societies' definition and not my own, which I described above.

And, yeah, like I said earlier in the thread, I do tend to dislike these modern nerds/geeks.

Why? Because for one they aren't 'real' nerds/geeks, their interests aren't obscure or unknown but the most trendy, popular interests of millenials.

They also claim to be so awkward and nerdy and such when they don't know 'real struggle' like us aspies.

They are a mockery of what being a nerd/geek is, a sham, many are trendy and fake.

Like YippySkippy said they don't realize how good they have it.

Nerds/geeks were bullied by the a55høle popular people back in the day, being a nerd/geek was the lowest of the low.

Now, the nerds/geeks of today practically ARE the popular a55høles.

Just my ¢0.02

I wish I could like them but I just can't.