Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2016, 4:35 pm

To me, autistic pride means being myself and wearing my Schultz helmet everywhere that I go that day. It means showing my friends at Stepping Stones all the unusual paintings that I've done so far, this year. It means showcasing my unusual tastes in music. It means wearing a T-shirt that has the logo or a picture of The Kinks on it.

Novac96
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2016, 9:06 pm

I can concur with many of the sentiments expressed previously here on this thread: that stimming in public shouldn't be discouraged or scrutinized; that we should celebrate the strides that we have made in this life without sacrificing the essence of who and what we are; and more importantly, in promoting the acceptance of autism/Asperger's as a lifelong disability that while at times can be painful, it at once can provide us with an insight that not many other individuals have.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 May 2016, 7:11 am

LittleLu wrote:
As a fellow gay I completely understand the struggle. I've been shamed and trodden on, picked on, bullied, attacked, etc. my entire life for liking the same gender. However, I can understand the point of gay pride. Gays are tired of being on the bottom rung and stepped on by heteros and religious acts.

There is turmoil and struggle in every facet of life--you are definitely right about that. It's not easy to overcome shame that's brought on by our difficulties. I've suffered for not just being gay, but also for not being neurotypical. It's hard, but pride days are a way of not saying "This is a 'good' thing." It's a way of saying, "Be proud of who you are. Accept that you have difficulties and don't let it bring you down. You're still an amazing human being."

Thanks - that's really helpful. :)

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 May 2016, 7:23 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
To me, autistic pride means being myself and wearing my Schultz helmet everywhere that I go that day. It means showing my friends at Stepping Stones all the unusual paintings that I've done so far, this year. It means showcasing my unusual tastes in music. It means wearing a T-shirt that has the logo or a picture of The Kinks on it.

Oh, I think I get this pride thing a bit more now - so for me it might be wearing my Ironman helmet all day long and not caring is my neighbours saw me!???

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 May 2016, 2:20 pm

We don't need to emulate the gay rights movement and that is no what autism is about. Helping people with autism is more about treating health problems, providing diagnosis, assistive and supportive employment (but only if desired). I think it's about freedom from work as work only creates more pain and I think we suffer enough. The national living wage should begin with disabilities.

Perhaps it would help for the public to know about autism but I'm not totally sure about. Many people are shy and some kind of public display isn't necessary.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 1:12 am

Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
Oh, I think I get this pride thing a bit more now - so for me it might be wearing my Ironman helmet all day long and not caring is my neighbours saw me!???

that is the way i understand it.

is that your own helmet? :o

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 10:00 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I can not feel pride in something I was born with, but neither can I feel shame in bieng autistic for the very same reason.

I do feel pride in the accomplishments I achieved in spite of Autistic impairments and the profound disadvatages of bieng wired to do, think, express differently than 98 percent of the population.

I agree. I feel the same way. I was just born this way so I don't feel pride or shame. I just AM. I take pride in my accomplishments though. But, I have no feeling whatsoever about Autistic Pride. That means nothing to me.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 May 2016, 6:35 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:

that is the way i understand it.

is that your own helmet? :o

Yup! (It used to belong to my son but now he's a teenager he has decided that he wants to throw it out so I asked him if I could have it. He thought that was hilarious - but he did give it to me.)

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 10:30 am

LittleLu wrote:
I think people's reactions will probably be based on where they are at on the spectrum, tbh. Some might really struggle with their condition and see it as a burden, whereas others who have it less difficult may more easily relate to having pride.

I don't think it's about how much actual difficulty you have. I'm proud of my autism, and I see people on this forum who are higher functioning than me and see it only as a burden. (Eg people who are living independently and/or working - both things I'm not yet able to do.)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 10:34 am

I have a hard time having any pride over things I didn't have any say in...I didn't pick my neurology, so not sure what there is to be prideful about concerning it.