Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 7:59 am

I think I may have Tourette's.

I do this thing where I shake my head sideways or up. I also open and close my hand like I'm making a puppet talk. Sometimes I can't supress it at all, and sometimes I CAN supress it, but I feel like I'd go mad if I don't let it out.

I blink a lot and do this thing where I scrunch up my nose for a split second. I remember distinctly when I was five, my parents repeatedly told me to not scrunch up my nose.

I clear my throat a lot too. A while back, I was doing this specific pattern of breathing and throat clearing. I also utter multiple syllables that aren't words. Though I can't supress the urge, I can control the volume, so I'm not disruptive in class.

I find that certain thoughts trigger these things or make them worse.

My dad sometimes screams out random things when he goes in a room by himself. Family history, maybe? He wasn't diagnosed with anything because nobody knew about Tourette's.

I know I should go to a doctor to know for sure if I have Tourette's, but does this sound like it?

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 11:57 am

Sounds like it could be. You need to have had at least 1 vocal and at least 1 or 2 (can't remember which) motor tics for at least one year before the age of 18.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2016, 6:02 pm

tetris wrote:
Sounds like it could be. You need to have had at least 1 vocal and at least 1 or 2 (can't remember which) motor tics for at least one year before the age of 18.

No, I'm not sure you have to have 1 vocal tic. I never had vocal tics- I mean a little bit as a kid but basically nothing comparatively all my tics were motor (and very VERY obvious and terrible).

You probably have it- but here's a website:http://www.tourettesyndrome.net/disorders/tourette%E2%80%99s-syndrome/overview-of-tourettes-syndrome/

it mentions that the tics are NOT rhythmic and you mentioned a pattern of your sounds- tics aren't patterned- though they do cluster and occur in bursts and such.
Also, you can suppress tics- it's just not pleasant.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 10:02 am

Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
tetris wrote:

No, I'm not sure you have to have 1 vocal tic. I never had vocal tics- I mean a little bit as a kid but basically nothing comparatively all my tics were motor (and very VERY obvious and terrible).

You probably have it- but here's a website:http://www.tourettesyndrome.net/disorders/tourette%E2%80%99s-syndrome/overview-of-tourettes-syndrome/

it mentions that the tics are NOT rhythmic and you mentioned a pattern of your sounds- tics aren't patterned- though they do cluster and occur in bursts and such.

The website you linked states this for Tourettes: 'have two or more motor tics (for example, blinking or shrugging the shoulders) and at least one vocal tic (for example, humming, clearing the throat, or yelling out a word or phrase).
So you do need both (whether that's just at some point or not I'm not sure), If you've only got one or the other then you'd just have persistent tic disorder. And vocal doesn't have to be words, it's any sound you make, they can also be called phonic tics.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 7:49 pm

tetris wrote:
Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
tetris wrote:

The website you linked states this for Tourettes: 'have two or more motor tics (for example, blinking or shrugging the shoulders) and at least one vocal tic (for example, humming, clearing the throat, or yelling out a word or phrase).
So you do need both (whether that's just at some point or not I'm not sure), If you've only got one or the other then you'd just have persistent tic disorder. And vocal doesn't have to be words, it's any sound you make, they can also be called phonic tics.

My bad- that was me not expressing that properly. I had vocal tics- but not a verbal tic- if that makes sense. I misused the word there. I didn't say words but still had my weirdo vocal tics. :lol: (they just weren't words- at least that I can remember).