Autistic Spectrum Borderline PD & Peter Pan Syndrome

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

realityasatoy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 May 2016, 9:16 pm

It's been a while since I have been on the forum, I've had a bad habit of joining for reasons in the moment and then totally forgetting but at this moment in my life I am working on trying to be part of some sort of community and I figure this would be one good place.

Since I last posted I was officially diagnosed as ASD as well as BPD and Bipolar, got a little more than I bargained for but along the way I had found a website and I wish I could remember which one it was because it was very telling, for an online test anyway. Basically when you finish it has a pretty big list of character traits and you get a percentage, like I was high for being an overly dependent person

and then there was one on there called Peter Pan Syndrome or...

Puer aeternus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puer_aete ... n_syndrome

as some people refer to it. The link is to the wiki page for it. Anyway it's not an official diagnosis as in it is not recognized by the mental health field. If it was I imagine it would have a different name. However being what I guess I could call a theory I've wondered if there is some disorder within the DSM 5 that is recognized and has the same symptoms.

So a lot of my curiosity is if this personality type is due to ASD or BPD or even both? And maybe possibly the bipolar as well? And if not, what kind of disorders are out there that could match this idea of a syndrome (most commonly in males) who are socially immature despite being adults?

Also I am wondering if there is a disorder primarily in reference to rumination. I googled it and for some strange reason the only disorder that came up was an eating type thing (which I just found out the word is used for two different things, so this is an edit but I am talking psychological purposes.) which doesn't make sense with rumination as a thought process and possibly an obsession.

Last edited by realityasatoy on 21 May 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2016, 9:37 pm

Yeah, I'd say that's just describing some of the aspects of High Functioning Autism. Our social functioning seems to go into a holding pattern somewhere between the ages of 17 and 22, and to a large degree, we never become much more functional than that. I'm sure it has to do with brain development, but there are a lot of things about our specific neurological dysfunctions that are still being studied. I'm 57 and my office walls are covered with action figures and comic book art, so...yeah...grow up? What's that? I can barely hold a job. Grownups find me very frustrating to deal with, because I can't think like they do.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2016, 10:28 pm

My mum has these expectations for me to grow up according to her standards. I'm not able to do that and nor am I interested. I'd rather stay young and have fun. I find that the way she wants me to grow up to be too stuffy for me.

realityasatoy

21 May 2016, 10:57 pm

will@rd wrote:
Yeah, I'd say that's just describing some of the aspects of High Functioning Autism. Our social functioning seems to go into a holding pattern somewhere between the ages of 17 and 22, and to a large degree, we never become much more functional than that. I'm sure it has to do with brain development, but there are a lot of things about our specific neurological dysfunctions that are still being studied. I'm 57 and my office walls are covered with action figures and comic book art, so...yeah...grow up? What's that? I can barely hold a job. Grownups find me very frustrating to deal with, because I can't think like they do.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense and sometimes I think people see it around me and sometimes end up trying to be parental and it's like "I'm an adult!" which pretty much sounds like the same argument teenagers have and I really don't think I've developed mentally anymore than 16 years and I'm 27 now.

Though I have come to understand the world is more dangerous and that there are some bad people out there, I never really thought those things would be an issue for me, it was kind of like, well that is just something on the news.

In fact, when 9/11 happened, I didn't understand why people were so upset at school, I just thought they could remake the buildings, never crossed my mind about the people, I guess I didn't see that far into it or I was more focused on the buildings, maybe because that was all that I could see.

Quote:
=CockneyRebel]My mum has these expectations for me to grow up according to her standards. I'm not able to do that and nor am I interested. I'd rather stay young and have fun. I find that the way she wants me to grow up to be too stuffy for me.

Parents always seem to always have these expectations. Hell we don't even get the right to pick our own names and yeah I'm aware at that time we really aren't able to lol. We can change them but it would annoy me that all of my past records wouldn't match and I know people aren't going to go in and change it and print me more copies just to match. But the best thing is to be the person you want to be, that is something that they eventually don't have control of.

realityasatoy

21 May 2016, 10:59 pm

will@rd wrote:

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense and sometimes I think people see it around me and sometimes end up trying to be parental and it's like "I'm an adult!" which pretty much sounds like the same argument teenagers have and I really don't think I've developed mentally anymore than 16 years and I'm 27 now.

Though I have come to understand the world is more dangerous and that there are some bad people out there, I never really thought those things would be an issue for me, it was kind of like, well that is just something on the news.

In fact, when 9/11 happened, I didn't understand why people were so upset at school, I just thought they could remake the buildings, never crossed my mind about the people, I guess I didn't see that far into it or I was more focused on the buildings, maybe because that was all that I could see.

Quote:
=CockneyRebel]My mum has these expectations for me to grow up according to her standards. I'm not able to do that and nor am I interested. I'd rather stay young and have fun. I find that the way she wants me to grow up to be too stuffy for me.

Parents always seem to always have these expectations. Hell we don't even get the right to pick our own names and yeah I'm aware at that time we really aren't able to lol. We can change them but it would annoy me that all of my past records wouldn't match and I know people aren't going to go in and change it and print me more copies just to match. But the best thing is to be the person you want to be, that is something that they eventually don't have control of.