Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

aeonon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 May 2016, 2:10 pm

I think Michael Phelps might be on the milder end of the spectrum based on the various videos of him over the years. Officially he is diagnosed with ADHD, but when he was in school it was fairly common to misdiagnose autistic people as having ADHD instead. What are your thoughts?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 2:21 pm

Quite possibly. ADHD isn't the only mistaken diagnosis of almost-autistic.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

aeonon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2016, 1:03 am

They showed a video on the news from the Olympics today where he had the deep 'blank' stare that is common for many people on the spectrum to have.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 4:25 am

hyper focus and its assiciated deep stare is what many if not most talented athletes do to get themselves mentally ready for an event. Many have quirky body routines before preforming. If you can not hyper-focus to an extreme degree you will not become an elite athlete.

The above means probably more elite athletes are on the spectrum especially in solo sports like swimming then the general population. If hypothetically elite athletes in solo sports are 5 times more likely to be autistic then the general population then 90 percent of elite athletes in solo sports are not autistic.

Phelps shows no public signs of ackward or unusual social presentation.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 2:20 pm

Phelps seemed like he was sheltered as a child, because of his swimming.

But like AsPartofMe stated, he doesn't seem autistic to me, or even awkward.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 7:12 pm

I don't think Phelps is autistic. Last night, he won a silver medal in a three way tie and was a good sport about it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2016, 1:35 am

Bieng a sore loser is not an autistic trait.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman