Why does the world hate American conservatives?

Page 4 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Xenosparadox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 May 2016, 2:46 am

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 2:48 am

Xenosparadox wrote:

...Say two dumbsh*ts.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 2:53 am

Which prove the adage, not all conservatives are stupid people, but all stupid people are conservative.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 4:33 am

Jacoby wrote:
Yes, look it up. The cancer survival rates in the US are MUCH MUCH higher in the UK. I think the 5 year breast cancer survival rate in the US is near 90% while being somewhere under 80% in the UK for example. Across the board the US treats cancer better than anywhere in the world.

Is that number based on deaths from cancer per capita or deaths among cancer patients?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 8:20 am

Meistersinger wrote:
Which prove the adage, not all conservatives are stupid people, but all stupid people are conservative.

Oh wow.... we could grab Youtube videos all day long on this one, and a few pages later I think I'd be in too much pain to go search for more examples.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 8:27 am

Since I finally just gave a halfway serious comment in this thread I'll chip in my honest two cents on the topic.

Predominant national dialogues shape how a citizenry tends to see the world, that dialog becomes a rather well established bubble where most things outside of it on reflex feel wrong. I'm sure enough of why American conservatives are hated is international assertiveness (or aggression as I'm sure it's probably read) but also, particularly on conservative domestic thinking, most of shock and disgust in other countries comes from the first dynamic I mentioned.

I think someone earlier brought up that a lot of these critics come from countries with a significantly higher mix of socialization in their economic structure. It's what they're used to, it's what they're used to thinking is right, it's what's grown on them. They'd have a difficult time relating to American ideals and perhaps it's difficult to communicate accurately unless they were over here for a few months to a year to see how the difference in impact works out. Their mental modeling or attempts to imagine the situation in the US will most often start with them imagining where they live and everything perceived as wrong over here will be like 'Where I live but worse', largely because they can't get a qualitative or quantitative sense of what trade-offs are already made in their own environment that might not be made here. Nothing wrong with people thinking the US has a crap system IMHO, just that knowing how people tend to think there's most likely loads of inaccuracy in how they have it sized up.

I will say I can't stand our corporatism. We have a way of crushing small and midsized business and so many companies who are innovating and doing reasonably well get drawn up by these holding companies which eventually end up getting scraped off the road by venture capitalists when they financially wipe out. Robin Hood stole from the rich and gave to the poor, Uncle Sam steals from both poor and rich alike and gives to General Electric. It makes no sense unless I suppose you're a lobbyist.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 8:49 am

When I was an undergraduate in college, 40 years ago, I would hear the semiannual diatribe from my academic advisor about the dumbing down of American citizens. I'm more than amazed now how spot on he was. He was a miserable SOB to begin with, but now, 40 years later, he had good reason to be miserable. When most American's can't even put 2+2 together and get 4 without going through the machinations as required by Common Core, let alone find their hometown on a map, let alone understand what the Battle of Bunker Hill, let alone Gettysburg was all about, then all hope is lost.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 10:08 am

Liberals are offensive, because they paint everyone as imbeciles.

Then argue, because you're all imbeciles, you need government to manage your lives.

Xenosparadox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 May 2016, 10:20 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Liberals are offensive, because they paint everyone as imbeciles.

Well, it's just a fact. Look at how people behave!

Quote:
Then argue, because you're all imbeciles, you need government to manage your lives.

:lmao:

Gotta love anarchists(to which anti-"big government" libertarians are a subspecies). I get sick and tired of idealistic imbeciles who believe that people are basically good and deserve unrestricted freedom when the evidence is very clear what people will do when they have the chance.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 May 2016, 10:45 am

Xenosparadox wrote:
I get sick and tired of idealistic imbeciles who believe that people are basically good and deserve unrestricted freedom when the evidence is very clear what people will do when they have the chance.

You do realize that government bureaucrats are people?

If people aren't qualified to run their own lives, they sure aren't qualified to run the lives of others. Or do you contend that everybody who wins an election is some kind of Philosopher-King, immune to the flaws and foibles which plague us mere mortals?

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 11:59 am

luan78zao wrote:
Xenosparadox wrote:
I get sick and tired of idealistic imbeciles who believe that people are basically good and deserve unrestricted freedom when the evidence is very clear what people will do when they have the chance.

If people aren't qualified to run their own lives, they sure aren't qualified to run the lives of others. Or do you contend that everybody who wins an election is some kind of Philosopher-King, immune to the flaws and foibles which plague us mere mortals?

Which is why with time we had created "check and balance". If the government disappear or become too weak to keep control then other powers take over; powers which won't be kept in check and balance to become tyranny and reverse centuries of fight for more freedom.

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 12:14 pm

Conservatives freely admit that they are flawed human beings poorly suited to pass judgment on others by stressing personal responsibility. Liberals conversely, present themselves as the paragons of virtue, whose inherently superior judgment is necessary to rule the clueless rabble.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 12:55 pm

Xenosparadox wrote:

Don't forget, that includes the people in charge who write the laws. They aren't infallible.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 2:42 pm

Shrapnel wrote:
Conservatives freely admit that they are flawed human beings poorly suited to pass judgment on others by stressing personal responsibility. Liberals conversely, present themselves as the paragons of virtue, whose inherently superior judgment is necessary to rule the clueless rabble.

As liberals gave this country civil rights laws, labor laws, environmental protection, women's rights, LGBT rights, and everything else that's good, I'd say that makes a good argument for liberal virtue. As conservatives have wanted to turn back the clock on those things mentioned, I think a case can be made for their cluelessness.

Xenosparadox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 May 2016, 4:08 pm

luan78zao wrote:
Xenosparadox wrote:

Yes I'm aware of that. And certain people are better at making qualified decisions about how to run things than others. What I am hopeful is that government bureaucrats will soon be replaced with machines; which may not be perfect but definitely immune to the flaws and foibles that plague us biological entities.

In the meantime, I do not favor philosopher-kings to rule us by scientists and engineers who demonstrate mastery of both binary and fuzzy logic.

Matthew777
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 May 2016, 4:55 pm

American Republicans are not conservative, not in the tradition of the old right like Jefferson, Madison, Able Upsher, William Rawle. They are neo conservative. A great book to read is Forgotten Conservatives in American History by historian Brion McClanahan and Clyde Wilson. The more government we have the less freedom we have. Peter Schiff and economist Bob Murphy and Thomas Dilorenzo are also good.