Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

stevet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2016, 3:09 pm

Does anyone else think that their asd stopped them from getting diagnosed , like i figured out for sure about 12 years ago through discovering this site and other interweb articles that i was aspie but my dislike of talking about myself or emotions and anxiety prevented me from going to even speak to my doctor, also to make an apointment would mess up my routine and mean talking on the phone to get apointment and the stress of thinking what to say and act.plus me procastinating about whether or not getting diagnosed was worth it the pros and cons then executive function problems and depressive issues making me not even bothered and for about 10 years of constant 6 day working to pay the mortgage which burned me out.After 12 years of this I just thought enough is enough and went today to the docs ,seems kind of crazy how long i put this off considering my mental state this past decade.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 3:42 pm

It certainly doesn't sound crazy to me. Given the incidence of anxiety, especially around communication problems which are intensified in a context of talking about highly personal things under intense scrutiny, and the phone issue which is a big factor for many, avoiding the predictable stress of such anxiety-provoking situations is understandable, especially coupled with the widespread misdiagnosis, missed diagnosis and misunderstandings about the different ways ASD can present. I think it takes a lot of courage because it is a big step out of the comfort zone, a huge step for some, and understandably so.

It's kind of sad that the conventional mode of seeking a diagnosis, a process that NTs are more attuned to - talking to a stranger face to face and being intensely bombarded with question after question and so on - is not well-matched to the needs of many clients, you have to fit into an NT way of doing things, and not everyone can provide valid and articulate information under such pressure..

stevet

01 Jun 2016, 4:11 pm

Yes I agree and the only reason i think i made it was i had a sudden shift of mood which happens every once in a while,i've been pretty much standard depressive normal for some months but out of nowhere after this long bank holiday weekend i've become suddenly quite functional and almost ok so just bit the bullet and was lucky to get an appointment the following day(today) I had to wait around for half hour or so past my apointment time in the waiting room which didn't help my anxiety and i nearly bottled it but i thought it's now or never I can't wait another ten years :D i might not last that long. :lol: .

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 5:07 pm

Children Generally 'aren't' told about what ASD 'is'. Even though in most cases they know something is different about them it is kind of obvious why does everyone else have friends but I still don't. I mean we are so different you notice it! The thing is most people who are diagnosed before being of age, aren't even told about it, I only knew, because It was pointed out to me. Therefore if they told the parents without the child in the room they could never know. Not to mention, Most ASD therapies are all about the parents not about the childs, for me the therapy is better if I know who my therapist is. When if they think the nonverbal person is stupid (Which generally most people think is the case). When generally, they are exactly like any other verbal autistic except they are non-verbal. See the Problem is the whole system, not just Diagnosis it is because of Autism speaks.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 5:43 pm

For, a Backstory, Last week on Thursday (I see my therapist every thursday), There is this poster that has bothered. It was one of those Autism Speaks poster claiming myths and legend and "Red flags of Autism" and the sorts. Promoting World Autism Awareness (without acceptance) Month. So I decided to point it out to my therapist. I've talked to her many many times about how outdated the Autism system and why I don't like Autism Speaks, etc. How it isn't correct and most of it simply is a myth. So I took it in with me to show my therapist it.. You should probably look at the poster to understand it. Though I'm sure most of you understand what I'm talking about. I'd also like to say that I only fit
2/6 of them yet have you seen my Scores on the ASQ a sign that this is incorrect.
[quote=Autism Speaks] WAAD will celebrate the unique talents and skills of persons with autism and will be a day wheen individuals with autism are warmly welcomed and embraced in community events around the globe.[/quote]
Poster
v
https://www.autismspeaks.org/sites/defa ... ochure.pdf

Last edited by Pieplup on 01 Jun 2016, 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 6:41 pm

Everyone knows that red flags are used to signal danger, and this example shows us something important about the conditioning of the public that Autism Speaks carries out according to its own stigmatising and self-serving agendas. It has done more than any other organisation to spread the myth that autistic people are inherently dangerous (and worthless). That a therapist uses their rubbish is entirely inappropriate IMO

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 6:49 pm

I didn't mean that at all, What I meant was that My therapist told my that there is a inside job, to get therapists to act like that. My therapist just didn't do it. Either that or once she got to know me she knew that that was appropriate.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 6:57 pm

Ok. However I still think that displaying Autism Speaks propaganda is inappropriate for a professional therapist.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 9:26 pm

The initial wait times were the hardest. First on the various phone calls. The insurance call and transfers to different people led to argh moments and as the time on phone log got bigger the temptation to hang up
Then going through the not accepting new patients made my impatience grow. Then I found someone and first appointment was almost 2 months away.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 11:57 pm

Pieplup wrote:
Children Generally 'aren't' told about what ASD 'is'. Even though in most cases they know something is different about them it is kind of obvious why does everyone else have friends but I still don't. I mean we are so different you notice it! The thing is most people who are diagnosed before being of age, aren't even told about it, I only knew, because It was pointed out to me. Therefore if they told the parents without the child in the room they could never know. Not to mention, Most ASD therapies are all about the parents not about the childs, for me the therapy is better if I know who my therapist is. When if they think the nonverbal person is stupid (Which generally most people think is the case). When generally, they are exactly like any other verbal autistic except they are non-verbal. See the Problem is the whole system, not just Diagnosis it is because of Autism speaks.

You are a person with great wisdom.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman