I'm HFA and really terrified at the thought of having kids

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 7:02 pm

I am also HFA. I have four kids. I'm not going to tell anyone it's all unicorns and rainbows, because parenting has sh***y parts no matter how your brain is wired. If anyone says it doesn't, they're lying (or I want whatever meds they're taking).

By and large, though, I like being a mom. Nobody who knew me growing up thought I would; other than one young cousin who was a major challenge and thus my aunt was grateful for anyone who could take her off her hands for a little while, I completely avoided other peoples' kids. Everyone thought I hated them. Turns out I had a dirty little secret: I didn't hate kids, I was terrified of offending their parents.

Even after being a mom for fourteen years, I find it a lot easier to deal with my own kids. See, within the bounds of reason and common sense, I can deal with them basically on my own terms.

Having tactile/proximity issues?? I can ask them to sit beside me instead of on top of me, and no one (except maybe my MIL) is going to get upset about that. It's not neglectful to put your arm around a 3-year-old and let them cuddle into your side as opposed to letting them wallow all over you.

Having noise tolerance issues?? I can tell them that their yelling makes Mommy's head hurt so badly that I can't understand them, and that they have 3 choices: stop shouting, go outside, or Mommy will go to her room. OK, I have a 9-year-old with ADHD and sometimes have to repeat this instruction every three minutes until I get fed up and either take a Klonopin or actually go to my room, but... We survive.

Can't engage in imaginative play?? No big deal-- they have siblings and peers for that. They're just as happy to cook with me, or garden with me, or play board/card games (and my insistence on playing by the rules actually helps them learn flexibility, direction-following, and impulse control, which might be frustrating for a 3-year-old but is a skill they're going to need to have picked up by preschool age) or sit at the computer and carry on about some stupid video game while I iron shirts and make appreciative noises (which I was surprised to find turns into having real conversations and an actual relationship around the onset of puberty).

Bottom line-- I think in the West we make parenting too hard. You don't have to be everything to them, and you don't have to kiss their little asses (at least, not after they make it out of infancy-- yes, that first year when they are incredibly fragile and needy and the only way they can communicate is to cry and all the cries sound the same to you and they really can't be expected to even try to start learning to control anything pretty much sucks, but the good news is they're not real mobile and it's easy to get away from them if only for a few minutes at a time).

Lots of people have told me that I'm a sh***y mother. I used to worry about it, and even tried to conform my parenting to others' opinions (with disastrous results). I don't listen any more, because three out of my four are old enough for problems to become apparent to outsiders. And, other than the opinions of jerky relatives and as*holes at the playground, they're thriving by all the metrics that matter-- health, healthy behaviors, developmental milestones, social relationships as appropriate for their various diagnoses and temperaments, academic performance, behavior, the opinions of pediatricians, teachers, and developmental psychologists. At the end of the day, whether the kids are thriving or not is THE ONLY measure of me as a mother that matters.

Susan_Sto_Helit
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jun 2016, 11:43 am

BuyerBeware wrote:
I am also HFA. I have four kids. I'm not going to tell anyone it's all unicorns and rainbows, because parenting has sh***y parts no matter how your brain is wired. If anyone says it doesn't, they're lying (or I want whatever meds they're taking).

By and large, though, I like being a mom. Nobody who knew me growing up thought I would; other than one young cousin who was a major challenge and thus my aunt was grateful for anyone who could take her off her hands for a little while, I completely avoided other peoples' kids. Everyone thought I hated them. Turns out I had a dirty little secret: I didn't hate kids, I was terrified of offending their parents.

Even after being a mom for fourteen years, I find it a lot easier to deal with my own kids. See, within the bounds of reason and common sense, I can deal with them basically on my own terms.

Having tactile/proximity issues?? I can ask them to sit beside me instead of on top of me, and no one (except maybe my MIL) is going to get upset about that. It's not neglectful to put your arm around a 3-year-old and let them cuddle into your side as opposed to letting them wallow all over you.

Having noise tolerance issues?? I can tell them that their yelling makes Mommy's head hurt so badly that I can't understand them, and that they have 3 choices: stop shouting, go outside, or Mommy will go to her room. OK, I have a 9-year-old with ADHD and sometimes have to repeat this instruction every three minutes until I get fed up and either take a Klonopin or actually go to my room, but... We survive.

Can't engage in imaginative play?? No big deal-- they have siblings and peers for that. They're just as happy to cook with me, or garden with me, or play board/card games (and my insistence on playing by the rules actually helps them learn flexibility, direction-following, and impulse control, which might be frustrating for a 3-year-old but is a skill they're going to need to have picked up by preschool age) or sit at the computer and carry on about some stupid video game while I iron shirts and make appreciative noises (which I was surprised to find turns into having real conversations and an actual relationship around the onset of puberty).

Bottom line-- I think in the West we make parenting too hard. You don't have to be everything to them, and you don't have to kiss their little asses (at least, not after they make it out of infancy-- yes, that first year when they are incredibly fragile and needy and the only way they can communicate is to cry and all the cries sound the same to you and they really can't be expected to even try to start learning to control anything pretty much sucks, but the good news is they're not real mobile and it's easy to get away from them if only for a few minutes at a time).

Lots of people have told me that I'm a sh***y mother. I used to worry about it, and even tried to conform my parenting to others' opinions (with disastrous results). I don't listen any more, because three out of my four are old enough for problems to become apparent to outsiders. And, other than the opinions of jerky relatives and as*holes at the playground, they're thriving by all the metrics that matter-- health, healthy behaviors, developmental milestones, social relationships as appropriate for their various diagnoses and temperaments, academic performance, behavior, the opinions of pediatricians, teachers, and developmental psychologists. At the end of the day, whether the kids are thriving or not is THE ONLY measure of me as a mother that matters.

Hi thanks a lot for sharing your experience.
I completely agree with you about cultural attitudes towards parenting (remember the big furore when that woman published 'Tiger Mom', haha!). I am sorry to hear that you've had people directing judgement at you. It makes me very angry the way that society politicises motherhood. People talk and act as though it were a public affair, which it isn't. Other people don't have a right to stick their nose into it and give unsolicited advice and criticism. I expect that if I do have children, there will be a few charred remains littered in my wake... of all the people who thought it was ok to tell me they knew better about my offspring :P I think I also feel very strongly about it because my mother was depressed for most of my childhood, and that was a lot to do with how isolated she was as a parent, and how judgemental and pressurised her church environment was when it came to views about what well parented kids looked and behaved like. Now she's a big source of comfort to other families with autism, but things were really rough for her when they needn't have been.

I hear what many are saying in this thread, that parenting is manageable... that there are strategies to train children not to be too noisy and all the rest. However, it does still leave me with the feeling of 'why create a problem for yourself that needs 'managing'... isn't it more attractive to just not bring the problem on yourself?'. I don't have any strong desire to parent or raise children, so the decision is stressful because if I don't have a child I may regret it, and there is so much implicit pressure around me to see raising a family as one of the 'big' things humans do to be happy in life. I just can't really see the magic. I don't 'hate' children, but I do usually wish to be somewhere where they aren't.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2016, 5:16 am

Susan_Sto_Helit wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm married (4 years now) and hit my 30s this year. I have a HFA diagnosis.

I've been stressing about the prospect of having/raising children for a very long time. It became more of a big deal once I got married, and also this year when I reached 30. Once we married, suddenly the whole world thought it was ok to nosily ask me 'when' we were going to have kids :evil:, and with the 30 thing, psychologically it just feels as though you've entered 'that' decade... the one where you have to pop one out or face being too late.

Not only do I not feel ready for it, but I'm not sure I'll ever be ready for it. I don't mean children any harm, but I am highly sensitive to noise and fairly introverted. My home is my haven, and the prospect of it being filled with shrieking, chaotic persons, constantly creating mess and needing constant attention is truly terrifying. I have a fat badass set of overhead earphones in order to cope with other peoples' children on public transport. When I see small kids, I change my route/find a different carriage to sit in, etc.

There's also the fact that I've never been able to relate to people younger than me. As a kid, I always hung out with people much older than me and never felt at home around my peers... particularly not when they were doing 'childish' things otherwise known as 'having fun' :P Heck I even feel awkward around my younger cousins in their 20s... somehow I rationally know they're adults, but having seen them when they were in diapers wrong-foots me and I can't relax around them. When people hand me a baby I'm like 'oh that's nice' with a forced smile on my face.

Then there's also the career thing... I'm finishing my PhD right now, and have a job lined up for next year. I know I'll always need to work just because I'm only happy when I'm hard at work on something I care about. I can't imagine not being frustrated, both with my performance as a parent and also with my progress in the workplace, if I were in a situation of juggling both career and child rearing. Also I'm very easily drained and exhausted by things, I think more than 'normal' people... and I get chronic migraines from stress and sensory overload. So the thought makes me fear that I'd be consigning myself to a life of constant exhaustion.

I'm also scared of how I'd cope if my child had a disability. There's a lot of autism in my family. Most of us are high functioning, but one of my cousins has low functioning autism (this also adds pressure, because the longer you wait to have children the higher the risk becomes).

My husband is a truly wonderful man, and he doesn't have any expectations of me. But he does have a deep desire to have a child. I think if someone really wants to be a parent, then it's a real tragedy if they can't be, so even though nobody is forcing me, I still feel as though it has to happen somehow.

I'd be interested to hear from parents on the autistic spectrum, and your experiences of raising children. Have you found it as bad as it seems to me? How do you deal with the noise? How do you balance it with your careers?

My youngest son has Autism as well and its been a challenge. I understand the guy he sort of helped me understand myself as his same "Sighs" and same problems mirrored my own. Its a challenge but its up to you guys on kids

sunnyinaus
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jul 2016, 4:59 am

I have a nearly two year old and didn't realise until after he was born that I am autistic. I don't plan to have another one. I do not regret having him but it has been really hard.

Actually I think motherhood in general is a lot harder than our society makes out, especially the first year. New mums are supposed to be blissfully happy and those who aren't are viewed as a minority (perhaps I'm wrong about this but it's my perception). In reality I believe most mums struggle in the first year.

The sleep deprivation is brutal and that with the stress and noise has caused many meltdowns.

My son screamed every time we went in the car for the first year of his life. I stopped driving but we would go in the car sometimes as a family and it was very hard for me.

Soon after his birth I felt I'd made a huge mistake. I don't anymore but it was hard.

I love my son and always wanted to be a mum. But I think as women we are told that motherhood will make us all happy, the pinnacle of our existence. And I just don't think it's true for all women. And if this is how you feel now, I would really listen to these doubts because you could well be right that you would be better off not having children.

I am happy to answer further questions and I wish you the best in your decision.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 5:27 am

sunnyinaus wrote:
I have a nearly two year old and didn't realise until after he was born that I am autistic. I don't plan to have another one. I do not regret having him but it has been really hard.

Actually I think motherhood in general is a lot harder than our society makes out, especially the first year. New mums are supposed to be blissfully happy and those who aren't are viewed as a minority (perhaps I'm wrong about this but it's my perception). In reality I believe most mums struggle in the first year.

The sleep deprivation is brutal and that with the stress and noise has caused many meltdowns.

My son screamed every time we went in the car for the first year of his life. I stopped driving but we would go in the car sometimes as a family and it was very hard for me.

Soon after his birth I felt I'd made a huge mistake. I don't anymore but it was hard.

I love my son and always wanted to be a mum. But I think as women we are told that motherhood will make us all happy, the pinnacle of our existence. And I just don't think it's true for all women. And if this is how you feel now, I would really listen to these doubts because you could well be right that you would be better off not having children.

I am happy to answer further questions and I wish you the best in your decision.

I agree with all of this.

What you need to ask yourself is, do you really want kids? If it is a burning need then you will probably find a way to deal with it. If you don't really want them but think you should, then it is probably not a good idea.

Culture brainwashes us to believe every woman should want kids. That is just not true.

Callafiriel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2016, 5:27 pm

Hi, I'd like to offer you a point-of-view from the other side. I'm someone who never wanted children and who was always terrified of getting pregnant. And imagining having to breast-feed or change diapers with my sensory issues is pure horror.

I'm not a child-hater at all. On the contrary. I'm a teacher and I enjoy interacting with the kids. However, it's also extremely exhausting and I'm really glad every day that I can get away from the noise and the smells and the constant demands.

I also had the same experience that you had when I got married: Suddenly everyone asked me, "So when are you guys having your first child?" As I said I never wanted children, but the constant nagging got to me and I thought about it for a time and talked to my husband about it.

Unlike your husband, mine never wanted children. He told me that if I really wanted children, he would accept my decision and be there for them and me, but he'd rather go on just the two of us. We also discussed adoption - because I'm really afraid of a pregnancy - but found out that that wasn't what either of us really wanted.

I didn't give in to what my family wanted but stayed true to what I wanted: my own life without children. It's almost 10 years later now, I'm in my mid-forties and I've never for a moment regretted my decision to remain childfree - and I too have always believed that I would be a good mother (as my husband would be a great father) but I just don't want to be. Being a mother means for me that I would give up my life and I don't want to do that. I'm working full-time and hope to work part-time as soon as I can affort it because I need a lot of down- and alone-time to counterbalance the stress that my having to cope with my Asperger's in a social job is causing me. I just don't know when I would have time - and energy - for a child.

My advice to you is, find out what *you* really want and don't feel pressured into anything out of a feeling of duty or loyalty or whatever. It might also be useful for you to find out about how your support system would work if you had a child - who would help you? Who could take the child if you were close to an overload? etc.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 10:39 pm

Other than your spouse, NOBODY has the right to pressure you into having kids. NOBODY.

It's not going to grow in their body, or contain their DNA. They're not going to change its diapers, wipe it's nose, walk the floor with it, worry about it, fight homework wars with it, or spend the rest of their lives with part of their very being autonomously walking around outside of them over it. IT AIN'T UP TO THEM.

Even your parents don't get a vote, even if you're an only child and they're dying for grandkids. If they need to hold a baby that bad, I'm sure there are drug-addicted babies at the local hospital in need of someone to rock them thru withdrawals.

Your spouse only has that right at all because it is their life too, and they have chosen to share it with you, and so you are going to have to be part of discussing, and when you can honoring, their wants and needs.

But they have to honor, too, and it is also valid to decide that they'd rather have you happy than have kids, or that they've just got to be a parent and not having kids is a deal breaker.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 11:43 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
Other than your spouse, NOBODY has the right to pressure you into having kids. NOBODY.

It's not going to grow in their body, or contain their DNA. They're not going to change its diapers, wipe it's nose, walk the floor with it, worry about it, fight homework wars with it, or spend the rest of their lives with part of their very being autonomously walking around outside of them over it. IT AIN'T UP TO THEM.

Even your parents don't get a vote, even if you're an only child and they're dying for grandkids. If they need to hold a baby that bad, I'm sure there are drug-addicted babies at the local hospital in need of someone to rock them thru withdrawals.

Your spouse only has that right at all because it is their life too, and they have chosen to share it with you, and so you are going to have to be part of discussing, and when you can honoring, their wants and needs.

But they have to honor, too, and it is also valid to decide that they'd rather have you happy than have kids, or that they've just got to be a parent and not having kids is a deal breaker.

Your spouse does not have the right to pressure you into having kids you don't want. No one has that right. I get if that is how your marriage is set up that seems normal to you, but you really shouldn't be advising women to let men pressure them into having kids they don't want. That is a discussion you should have before getting married, so that if you are not compatible (one wants kids and one does not) you don't get married in the first place.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

Nine7752
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jul 2016, 9:06 pm

I know you're asking for words from parents, and I'm not one... But I'll add my few cents for having "missed" out on it all, later in life. It really is optional. I can't imagine the mess I and my life would be if I had tried to go down the road of parenthood. I consider it one of the few graces of my life to have passed on that one - not for the selfish sense of having my stuff or my time, but for the sake of my sanity. I would be so full of regret if I had done anything wrong... which is inevitable in parenting. It just goes far beyond the noise and sensory issues with kids, and deeper into the ability to center or calm myself; I imagine I'd never have found any kind of grounding or base with them there.

I could go on but you get the idea. The only downside I can imagine is that I will miss having "kids to take care of me" when I'm even older, but that's never a given anyway. I thank my stars that I made it this far child-free.

GamingMaestro
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Aug 2016, 2:24 am

Nine7752 wrote:
I know you're asking for words from parents, and I'm not one... But I'll add my few cents for having "missed" out on it all, later in life. It really is optional. I can't imagine the mess I and my life would be if I had tried to go down the road of parenthood. I consider it one of the few graces of my life to have passed on that one - not for the selfish sense of having my stuff or my time, but for the sake of my sanity. I would be so full of regret if I had done anything wrong... which is inevitable in parenting. It just goes far beyond the noise and sensory issues with kids, and deeper into the ability to center or calm myself; I imagine I'd never have found any kind of grounding or base with them there.

I could go on but you get the idea. The only downside I can imagine is that I will miss having "kids to take care of me" when I'm even older, but that's never a given anyway. I thank my stars that I made it this far child-free.

I second this post...as much as society may make people THINK having kids is a requirement, it is very much a choice! I'm not a parent either, but I have made the choice to be childfree. There are a few childfree groups on facebook and a CF reddit, maybe it might be a good idea to join one of them so you can connect with other people who also aren't keen to the idea of having kids? Especially if your husband is the only one that really wants a kid right now, I would definitely encourage you to check out the childfree reddit and search for the posts where people ask about spouses who want kids. Raising kids is an emotionally taxing responsibility that forces you to change your entire lifestyle and routine, you may only end up resenting your husband if you have a kid when you really may not want one! :(

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 5:58 am

Nine7752 wrote:

Your opinion is actually really pertinent on this question. I remember we were having a discussion about work habits. It seems you have a career and I have a family. "Having it all" can be rough enough even when you are NT, never mind if you have executive functioning issues and sensory problems to further complicate things.

The last time I was working, the thing I found hardest was being mentally and emotionally available for my kid when coming home from work. I needed a lot of time to process all the social stuff that was happening at work, and making the mental switch was at times excruciating. I am more and more coming to the conclusion that I can't have a job where I make full use of my abilities, because I have to have some presence of mind left for taking care of family and dealing with people.

This is the sort of tradeoff I imagine most mothers have to make, but being ND just multiplies the effect. You simply have to prioritize much harder than most people. Which means you really need to think about what you want. Consider that being somebody's aunt can be great too - there are aunts in the world that really make a difference.

I personally have a really strong maternal instinct. Having a child fulfilled a major need, but also opened up a Pandora's box of troubles, the most challenging being Other Children's Parents.

You need to follow your heart on this one.

beeker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Sep 2016, 6:32 am

Thanks for this thread guys.

I'm an aspie male and my wife is currently pregnant. It's the finality of it all that worries me. There's no opt out after a few weeks if you realise it's not for you. You're a parent for the rest of your life whether you like it or not.

I would be very happy not to have kids, but my wife is really keen. I worry that I won't ever get any down-time to recharge.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 3:18 pm

beeker wrote:
Thanks for this thread guys.

I'm an aspie male and my wife is currently pregnant. It's the finality of it all that worries me. There's no opt out after a few weeks if you realise it's not for you. You're a parent for the rest of your life whether you like it or not.

I would be very happy not to have kids, but my wife is really keen. I worry that I won't ever get any down-time to recharge.

Having kids just to make your partner happy when you don't really want them is a very, very bad idea. Don't bring children into the world that you don't want, because they will feel it and know and resent you strongly for it.

Signed, the child of a mother who wanted kids and a shitheel father who didn't but had them anyway.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

ovpt
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Sep 2016, 10:23 pm

i had a child prior to being diagnosed. i never really wanted kids but felt like it was you were supposed to do to be normal. i cant say that i regret it. he may be the only real love i have felt. however it increased my stress levels: financial, change in relationship with spouse, lack of sleep, insecurity of being a good father, and generally not knowing what to do. this increase in stress definitely worsened my hfa traits as i was only able to handle so many things before loosing my compensation abilities. now the increased traits have led to the demise of my marriage.

knowing what i know now, i would not have not had children along many other decisions in my life that added stress and complexity.

moral of the story is really evaluate your abilities to take on more and follow your heart.

cheers

KAS
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jul 2017, 12:53 pm

I know it has been a year, but I saw this and wanted to comment.

First, after 30 fertility begins to fall, so it might be a moot point for you.

Second, I found my own children are not as difficult as other people's children. Sound cancelling headphones are a must, and I found, once I adjusted, that one child can be fun. Lining up a good sitter and a good daycare is helpful.

I found the hormones from breastfeeding were rather pleasant. I found the breast pumping routine when at the University was not so bad. I just had to make sure everything was marked, and I carried a cooler with freezer blocks, and use the snack room refrigerator to hold the milk until heading home. If you have your own office, you might be able to do a dorm refrigerator and keep it where nobody else will be touching it. The baby did fine switching from a bottle with a nipple system that mimics the breast, and me. Night feedings are SO much easier on the breast.

Hubby does a LOT of parenting. The parent who most wants to have a child should go to parenting classes and make deliberate preparation for being the primary attachment for the baby.

Baby wearing made life easier for the kid who needed lots of contact. Another did better in a portable playpen at my desk where she could see, hear and touch me. Which meant she felt connected and played with her toys totally ignoring me. Either one frees up hands for the keyboard.

If you hug until the kid pushes you away, they will leave you alone longer.

If you can listen to the baby babble with eye contact, they are happy and go play again--faster.

A good day care is your friend.

If you play music you like close to your belly, the child may come out liking it-- or will kick you until you change the music. I had one who liked classical and country but would kick like mad at rock. My youngest will fall asleep happily to March of the Varangian Guard which is rock--hard rock-- and for some reason that kid finds it soothing.

Mine range in age from 29 down to 2. There is a huge gap between the first two and the three younger. It is not easy. The noise can be horrific. The undoing of organized places is horrible. But a few locking cabinets help greatly.

I found two easier than one. They bothered each other preferentially.

A routine for hugs and cuddles makes the contact easier. Mine know I am ok to hug mornings after the coffee, but by noon it is best to ASK.

I teach mine to recite, "my mother is not my fault." to help them cope when I am over-done and need space.

I think being terrified is a reasonable reaction. We wanted all of ours and that many is not for anyone who isn't really determined that they want to suffer through because they want kids. Not easy, and I am sure they will have their share of issues. (my 26 yr old got mad at me when she was a teen because I would not ground her-- I don't do punishments that require me to remember that they are being punished-- so I told her "OK, how long do you need? Be sure to tell me when you are done grounding, and remind me in between so I don't schedule anything for you." That really pissed her off and I'm still not sure why.) The five yr old has been walking up and waiting to be noticed since age three, upon being acknowledged he will formally request a hug. Hugs are then exchanged. When he pushes away, he thanks me and goes off to entertain himself-- fascinating!

I guess part of my point is that as he really wants a kid and you are not thrilled at the idea is the question of whether or not he will be wiling to function as a single parent and minimize the impact of a child on your routines if you are willing to do pregnancy and childbirth and pump the milk for the little person. Is he the sort of dependable person who will follow through, no matter how difficult it proves to be, on being the primary parent? If he is, then it might be possible for you to enjoy the infant knowing that the moment you are done, he will instantly take over. You might still need to do more than you want to give him a break when he is unwell or exhausted, but he should be determined to hold up his end no matter how difficult. When there is a disparity of desire, there needs to be division of labor that prevents resentment on the parent who is less interested.

Oh, and menopause has been awesome!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 2:31 am

Don't torture yourself with worry about whether or not you should have kids. You've already made up your mind.

Try not to worry about nosey people expecting you to have kids. Just tell them clearly and decisively that you won't have kids.

Don't tell them why you won't have kids because you don't have to justify your decisions.

Edit: Woah, I didn't realise this thread was more than a year old.