Person First Language vs Identity First Language

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 3:33 pm

Honestly? I don't really care one way or the other. I am more likely to say that "I HAVE autism" rather than I'm autistic or a person with autism.

I'm not a fan of "autistics" as a noun, but I don't know why, but I'm not about to get all up in arms about it and it's fine if someone chooses to use for themselves, just not for me. However, I can't stand "suffers from autism", as autism isn't causing me to "suffer".

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 6:18 pm

It's probably better to say "person with autism" than to say "autistic person." I'm not really militant about it, though.

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2016, 6:23 pm

I don't personally understand why people seem to care about this so much. That being said, I'll gladly refer to someone in their preferred manner.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 6:44 pm

Grahzmann wrote:
I don't personally understand why people seem to care about this so much. That being said, I'll gladly refer to someone in their preferred manner.

I think that one factor is the age at which you were diagnosed. It can make a big difference.

Wreck It Ralph

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 11:43 pm

As long as you don't phrase it as "suffering from autism" unless you are infect SUFFERING from autism, meaning their sensory issues are so bad they are in constant pain or something like that, I really do care. I will say it's offensive when NTs INSIST on person first language, if you're not autistic you don't get to decide how autistic people are referred to. It also annoys me when "autistic" is used as a noun, but there are worse things than that. I generally wrote identity first just out of convenience.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 11:52 pm

skibum wrote:
Grahzmann wrote:

I think that one factor is the age at which you were diagnosed. It can make a big difference.

What do you mean by that?

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic