Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MontyAA2003
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jun 2016, 5:09 pm

This is the board for talking about the websites you hate with a burning passion! :heart: :heart:
Here's mine:

-TvTropes, IMO their community is toxic and the mods have no respect for their users

Yeah that's about it. Derp.

According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 5:36 pm

Facebook.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 12:18 pm

AnaHitori wrote:
Facebook.

Amen to that!

slave
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 12:29 am

Springerlink
Elsevier
Wiley
etc.....

basically all sites that place a pay wall between the public and the research WE f*****g PAID FOR!! !!

"Reading a single article published by one of Elsevier's journals will cost you $31.50. Springer charges €34.95, Wiley-Blackwell, $42. Read 10 and you pay 10 times. And the journals retain perpetual copyright. You want to read a letter printed in 1981? That'll be $31.50.

Of course, you could go into the library (if it still exists). But they too have been hit by cosmic fees. The average cost of an annual subscription to a chemistry journal is $3,792. Some journals cost $10,000 a year or more to stock. The most expensive I've seen, Elsevier's Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, is $20,930. Though academic libraries have been frantically cutting subscriptions to make ends meet, journals now consume 65% of their budgets, which means they have had to reduce the number of books they buy. Journal fees account for a significant component of universities' costs, which are being passed to their students."

Source: The Guardian

If you care pls see this GOOD site http://thecostofknowledge.com/ and send it to your academic friends.

littlecatinthewindow
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 9:36 am

I don't exactly hate it, but I won't touch Youtube. I don't mind watching a video that's embedded in a post on another website, but I don't like visiting the site because I just don't like the layout, for some reason. I don't know why. Maybe Because it looks a bit too plain for me? Maybe because I'm worried I'll end up going to other videos because it always has links to them? Maybe because EVERYONE seems to use it? I don't know, but I just won't go to that site.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 5:33 pm

slave wrote:
Springerlink
Elsevier
Wiley
etc.....

basically all sites that place a pay wall between the public and the research WE f*****g PAID FOR!! ! !

"Reading a single article published by one of Elsevier's journals will cost you $31.50. Springer charges €34.95, Wiley-Blackwell, $42. Read 10 and you pay 10 times. And the journals retain perpetual copyright. You want to read a letter printed in 1981? That'll be $31.50.

Of course, you could go into the library (if it still exists). But they too have been hit by cosmic fees. The average cost of an annual subscription to a chemistry journal is $3,792. Some journals cost $10,000 a year or more to stock. The most expensive I've seen, Elsevier's Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, is $20,930. Though academic libraries have been frantically cutting subscriptions to make ends meet, journals now consume 65% of their budgets, which means they have had to reduce the number of books they buy. Journal fees account for a significant component of universities' costs, which are being passed to their students."

If you care pls see this GOOD site http://thecostofknowledge.com/ and send it to your academic friends.

Scientific journals have become an anachronism in the modern, connected world. They are the antithesis of what science is supposed to be, the building of knowledge, and a symbol of what some wish it to be: a profitable venture.

Do something about it here: https://act.eff.org/action/secure-open-access-to-taxpayer-funded-research

slave
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2016, 12:10 am

Edenthiel wrote:
slave wrote:
Springerlink
Elsevier
Wiley
etc.....

basically all sites that place a pay wall between the public and the research WE f*****g PAID FOR!! ! !

Scientific journals have become an anachronism in the modern, connected world. They are the antithesis of what science is supposed to be, the building of knowledge, and a symbol of what some wish it to be: a profitable venture.

Do something about it here: https://act.eff.org/action/secure-open-access-to-taxpayer-funded-research

thank you :D :D

Diabolikal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2016, 7:10 pm

TV Tropes, RationalWIki, io9, Vox, Comics Alliance, Coutnerpunch, any site with a far-right format, Wired sometimes.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 7:25 pm

But I like TV Tropes and Facebook. :(

It's the shock sites that are racist, sexist, say cruel and horrible things about people with autism or disabilities, and claim it's all just a joke and people these days have no sense of humor ya gotta hate! :x

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 7:48 pm

Noca wrote:
AnaHitori wrote:
Facebook.

Amen to that!

Yes, totally agree! I knew someone was going to go for that!

I hate these stupid scam websites such as this one: http://netfilesystem.com/loik/index.php ... 6&dfn=(855)%20254-1420&dn=%2B18552541420&a=PC
Warning, this is NOT "Microsoft Official Support", so don't believe it.

I also wish Ashley Madison would die. That site is :evil: EVIL :evil: and it's only purpose is to break up marriages and families.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 8:24 pm

littlecatinthewindow wrote:
I don't exactly hate it, but I won't touch Youtube. I don't mind watching a video that's embedded in a post on another website, but I don't like visiting the site because I just don't like the layout, for some reason. I don't know why. Maybe Because it looks a bit too plain for me? Maybe because I'm worried I'll end up going to other videos because it always has links to them? Maybe because EVERYONE seems to use it? I don't know, but I just won't go to that site.

I understand the layout part, but it gets much worse. It's starting to be even more unbearable to be a user on YouTube. First the broken copyright system, now they want to demonetize videos that aren't advertiser friendly. Sexual stuff, violence, bad language, and controversial subjects...I understand, but the guidelines are once again so vague. A music video with that content can keep ads on it, but if I post a video of me saying "****", "****", or even "*******" while playing a violent video game, I lose ads. It's this sort of thing that makes me miss Zippcast. I want to start over on another site. I use Youtube for viewing, but I'll never upload again because I've burnt half the bridge for uploading on YouTube and now YouTube burnt the remaining half.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 12:07 pm

slave wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:
slave wrote:
Springerlink
Elsevier
Wiley
etc.....

thank you :D :D

I went there as well and filled out the thing....it is kind of B.S to charge people so much for info that comes out of research and such. I mean I myself would like to have something else besides google or sites/articles with questionable accuracy to consult when I want to learn about some topic. But I certainly cannot afford the reasearch journals I had access to in college which was my main regreat of leaving college, but it is BS that info is only available to college students(where it can be included in tuition) or people with 3,000 or more dollars to throw around for a year subscription.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 12:11 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:

I understand the layout part, but it gets much worse. It's starting to be even more unbearable to be a user on YouTube. First the broken copyright system, now they want to demonetize videos that aren't advertiser friendly. Sexual stuff, violence, bad language, and controversial subjects...I understand, but the guidelines are once again so vague. A music video with that content can keep ads on it, but if I post a video of me saying "****", "****", or even "*******" while playing a violent video game, I lose ads. It's this sort of thing that makes me miss Zippcast. I want to start over on another site. I use Youtube for viewing, but I'll never upload again because I've burnt half the bridge for uploading on YouTube and now YouTube burnt the remaining half.

At least they aren't banning all videos with any such content...which is what I thought when I first heard of this. It's only less pesky ads for those videos which can't say as a viewer that would bother me any when watching metal videos. I didn't know people mostly put videos up to get ads put on them, and not getting ads is the difference between posting and not posting videos.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 6:11 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

At least they aren't banning all videos with any such content...which is what I thought when I first heard of this. It's only less pesky ads for those videos which can't say as a viewer that would bother me any when watching metal videos. I didn't know people mostly put videos up to get ads put on them, and not getting ads is the difference between posting and not posting videos.

Now they give users the abusable power to flag whatever videos they want that feature content they don't like. YouTube Heroes. They don't get paid for it, instead they get points! What are these points worth? Nothing! What can they be used for? Nothing! Are they worth some high score and validation admiration of friends and family? Nope! Mass flag videos! More False Positives! More Abuse! More Censorship! More...whatever. This website is dying.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

VYcma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Sep 2016, 2:43 pm

I despise Pinterest.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2016, 11:41 am

Twitter and Tumblr, I used to go off on rants every fifteen minutes about the stupid hashtags and literally spin yarns for about twenty tweets at a time about anything that popped into my head, was extremely useful to spew out my excess froth that slaloms around my brain but not useful in a larger picture, can't even converse with folk on it because of the ridiculous character limits. Tumblr just incenses me, it's like twitter but with images, some people just post things they love and admire and which they feel connected to, other people use it to build a a hollow image they'd like to believe they reflect as, because they can just regurgitate things without actively engaging to much depth in what they repost, kind of like what annoyed me most about using twitter for years actually. Reminds me of a jurassic park quote from the novel; ''We expected to banish paper, but we actually banished thought.'