Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 2:55 am

No offence, but I believe the original poster did suggest that this thread isn't a place for the atheists to butt in and spew their own s**t. I think it is rather pathetic when there is no-one those of us with different beliefs can discuss things without attempts to force us into a debate. I really cannot be bothered and my beliefs are not there for me to defend so F you. Spent a f'ing lifetime defending myself, and I am DAMNED if I will have to do it here. Keep your sodding scientific views and I shall keep my views. Who are you to say one is better than the other? Exiting the thread.

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 3:12 am

Mitch8817 wrote:

Read a little bit of that, kinda reminded me of the whole "A Wizard did it" joke they did about Xena in The Simpsons :P

Now I've got the silly comment out of my system:
If forced to choose a specific set of beliefs to stand by, I'd call myself an Agnostic. However, this never stops me coming up with *potential* beliefs - things that I have no proof for, but seem plausible. There's one thing that really makes me think - maybe this is already heaven? Not the stereotypical 'perfect place' kind of heaven, just a creation of our own minds. Sort of like the whole 'brain in a vat' philosophy, but with a more spiritual leaning. So, not suggesting that we are our own god as that theory sometimes does, but maybe the world as we percieve it is a post-mortem creation of our previous consciousness? Of course, I can't find an argument either for or against, so it remains hypothetical... but it's what I'd like to belive.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 3:18 am

Graelwyn wrote:
No offence, but I believe the original poster did suggest that this thread isn't a place for the atheists to butt in and spew their own s**t. I think it is rather pathetic when there is no-one those of us with different beliefs can discuss things without attempts to force us into a debate. I really cannot be bothered and my beliefs are not there for me to defend so F you. Spent a f'ing lifetime defending myself, and I am DAMNED if I will have to do it here. Keep your sodding scientific views and I shall keep my views. Who are you to say one is better than the other? Exiting the thread.

I was trying to discuss my beliefs. Do not let yourself be pwned by the evil spirits.
:lol:

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 3:36 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
interesting but i have it slightly differently....i have instances where i have a strong feeling of deja vu and yet having never been in such a situation before (the last time this happened was about a week ago).

i figure it's just certain things that set it off.....but i've had it happen a lot and i always wonder....

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Déjà_vu#Links_with_disorders[/url]

Quote:
Links with disorders
A clinical correlation has been found between the experience of déjà vu and disorders such as schizophrenia and anxiety,[9] and the likelihood of the experience considerably increases with subjects having these conditions. However, the strongest pathological association of déjà vu is with temporal lobe epilepsy.[10][11] This correlation has led some researchers to speculate that the experience of déjà vu is possibly a neurological anomaly related to improper electrical discharge in the brain. As most people suffer a mild (i.e. non-pathological) epileptic episode regularly (e.g. the sudden "jolt", a hypnagogic jerk, that frequently occurs just prior to falling asleep), it is conjectured that a similar (mild) neurological aberration occurs in the experience of déjà vu, resulting in an erroneous sensation of memory.

i have anxiety disorder so i'll take it!

makes sense.....the odd thing is that these jolts occur in time periods where i don't smoke any pot. odd.

and actually i think it has more to do with my neurological wiring than my anxiety problems....i tend to have a very strong associative ability.....to the extent to where i can guess what words in other languages mean by deciphering similar words in other languages....also makes for a great ability to make the strangest leaps from point A to point Theta through a nice little wormhole in my mind....normally about 2 or 3 steps away. but i could see how that same strong sense of associative ability could piece together various parts of past experiences together into a comprehensive deja vu experience with something i've never been around before. though, it really is an odd experience to be in an entirely new place with new people and all of a sudden feel like you've been there discussing that same conversation and hearing their exact responses before.

but it makes sense....it even makes sense with anxiety....a sensory overload....which goes back to the asperger's where i may sometimes have an entire mental overload under stressful situations and am unable to express myself vocally (despite having the words in my head....though distorted and cluttered and feeling wrong).

eeeeeeeeeeenteresting.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 3:40 am

As much as I hate strong theism, and don't believe in an afterlife, I still take some (though very little) solace in that quote from Hamlet, "there are more things on heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy, Horatio"....

Science is still very much incomplete because there are things that are still hard to quantify, and the existence of another life beyond death is one of them.

On sabbatical...

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 4:16 am

Quatermass wrote:
As much as I hate strong theism, and don't believe in an afterlife, I still take some (though very little) solace in that quote from Hamlet, "there are more things on heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy, Horatio"....

Science is still very much incomplete because there are things that are still hard to quantify, and the existence of another life beyond death is one of them.

well even atheists can't rule out an afterlife....maybe not even the potential eventual existence of a god somewhere along the lines....it just kinda goes along with the infinite nature of the universe....we haven't reached singularity yet.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

05 May 2007, 5:37 am

Graelwyn wrote:

No reason to get mad. I'm not trashing your belief just offering an explanation of how
the belief in re-incarnation can happen. Which has nothing to do with if re-incarnation is
reality or not.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 5:57 am

OP: I don’t care where I go; who is there or who isn’t, what is there or what isn’t, whom I am or whom I’m not and whether physics applies or not; I’ll tell you what I care about when I finally wake up:

I’m going home.