Why would a Sanders supporter vote Trump? I don't get it.

Page 1 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 10:38 am

I really don't know how anyone who is for Sanders can vote for Trump. It doesn't make sense. First of all Bernie Sanders is saying loudly that he will do whatever he can to prevent Trump from becoming president. Secondly part of Sander's appeal is that he has been consistent for over 40 years. Trump can't even keep a position for more than a single media cycle. Senator Sanders is a politician with a long tenure as a politician while Trump has no experience in working in the government.

And to the idea that Trump will be so bad that it will shock Americans into voting progressive some time in the future. I have to say I don't want the achievements the Democrats have had get trashed in the vague hope that in time there will be a progressive wave.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 10:48 am

I want Sanders a lot more than Trump...but if we don't get Sanders I cannot say I want Hillary. If anything the Democratic party has been a barrier to Sanders campaign, so I cannot rationalize voting for her being the 'second best' choice.

Not sure I'd vote for trump but the only reason I'd consider it is because he cannot realistically do some of the more outlandish things he says just make a spectecle of himself and I don't get the impression he cares to put a stop to legalization/decriminalization of marijuana going on in various states. There are worse moral agenda type right wing candidates...Trumps agenda is just making money. Either way I would prefer Sanders, but if it came to Trump Or Hillary not sure which would be worse when it was actually said and done.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 11:12 am

I couldn't disagree more. Hillary is not as bad as the Republicans have made her out to be. Sure she's not as progressive as Sanders but there is no question that she is to the left of every Republican in congress today. She was the eleventh most progressive member of the senate according to several reports. I think she has gotten an unfair rep. I voted for Bernie in the primary but I'm almost just as happy to vote for Hillary in the general.

And to your point about voting for second best. There are only going to be two choices in the general and even if it were a case of voting for the lesser of two evils (which I don't believe it is) the choice is still clear. The lesser should win. Hell I'd vote for just about anyone over Trump, except maybe Ted Cruz.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 11:37 am

The only reason that I can think of is spite.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 11:53 am

BaalChatzaf wrote:
The only reason that I can think of is spite.

Cutting off the nose to spite the face certainly seems apt here.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 11:53 am

Actress Susan Sarandon -- a well known Sanders supporter -- says she fears Clinton more than Trump.

"Susan Sarandon: Clinton ‘more dangerous’ than Trump"
http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in ... than-trump

She says, "Clinton's record on foreign policy is cause for alarm".

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 08 Jun 2016, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 11:54 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I want Sanders a lot more than Trump...but if we don't get Sanders I cannot say I want Hillary. If anything the Democratic party has been a barrier to Sanders campaign, so I cannot rationalize voting for her being the 'second best' choice.

Not sure I'd vote for trump but the only reason I'd consider it is because he cannot realistically do some of the more outlandish things he says just make a spectecle of himself and I don't get the impression he cares to put a stop to legalization/decriminalization of marijuana going on in various states. There are worse moral agenda type right wing candidates...Trumps agenda is just making money. Either way I would prefer Sanders, but if it came to Trump Or Hillary not sure which would be worse when it was actually said and done.

As someone on SSI with an invisible disability, you should worry about Trump's pledge to get rid of "waste fraud and abuse" in the social security system...

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2016, 12:00 pm

A lot of Sanders supporters don't care about his beliefs or policies. They're just angry.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 12:02 pm

Lukeda420 wrote:
I couldn't disagree more. Hillary is not as bad as the Republicans have made her out to be. Sure she's not as progressive as Sanders but there is no question that she is to the left of every Republican in congress today. She was the eleventh most progressive member of the senate according to several reports. I think she has gotten an unfair rep. I voted for Bernie in the primary but I'm almost just as happy to vote for Hillary in the general.

And to your point about voting for second best. There are only going to be two choices in the general and even if it were a case of voting for the lesser of two evils (which I don't believe it is) the choice is still clear. The lesser should win. Hell I'd vote for just about anyone over Trump, except maybe Ted Cruz.

Its not so much how the republicans make her out to be as how she makes herself out to be, I am just not a fan of social conservatives at all and she certainly seems like one. If it came to Trump and Hillary I may very well just not vote for either of them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 12:17 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

As someone on SSI with an invisible disability, you should worry about Trump's pledge to get rid of "waste fraud and abuse" in the social security system...

True, but he couldn't very well just end SSI...Without formulating some other replacement program, which would take government legislation and all that still concerning I suppose. I don't deny there would be plenty to worry about if he became president. I am just not sure the outcome with Hillary as president will really be much better. The democratic party serves the wealthy elite just as much as the republican party...not to mention Hillarys attitude towards the Bernies campaign gives the impression she cares a lot more than winning than she does about the citizens. I also don't like the pressure from Hillarys campaign for women to vote for her over bernie because of her gender.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 12:42 pm

I don't like Hillary, but I'd rather she be elected than Trump because I have a number of friends in the US who rely on SSI, and because it would damage Canada-US relations if such a far-right leader were to be elected. In an ideal world, Bernie Sanders would still have a chance, but unfortunately he was just too much of a radical idealist for people to take him seriously, or so it seems.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jun 2016, 1:05 pm

Just wants to burn things down, I'd say, and isn't particular about the form of the destroyer.

There's a lot of nihilism around right now.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 1:19 pm

LoveNotHate,

Yeah I know about her statements. That's exactly what I don't understand. Hillary is a bit more hawkish than Sanders but Trump is so much worse. First off he can't take criticism without lashing out, he said he wanted to go after family members if terrorists. He Has been caught lying about his positions on foreign policy, and besides all that he has demonstrated a very high level of ignorance over international diplomacy and world affairs.

On another issue, saying that both parties are equally corrupt is simply not true. Just look at how many Republicans deny global warming. If we both parties were as bad as the Republicans we might as well call this country The United States of Exxon.

Can anyone show me the equivalent of the Congressional Progressive Caucus on the republics side?

We have Elizabeth Warren, Raul Grijalva, Peter Difazio, Elijah Cummings, Alan Grayson, Jan Schakowsky, John Lewis, Bernie Sanders and quite a bit more. There is no equivalent in the Republican side.

We live in a two party system, if we want things to happen, progressives need to take over one of the parties and it is a much easier lift with the Democrats.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 1:20 pm

GoonSquad wrote:

So you're in favor of waste, fraud, and abuse? 8O

There Are Four Lights!

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2016, 2:27 pm

Many of Sanders supporters like that he is anti-establishment. The ones who are truly progressive will never vote for Hillary or Trump since neither of them are anywhere near being a progressive. The leftovers that are just in it for the anti-establishment angle but liked Bernie's message over Trump's will vote Trump in their false belief that he is still anti-establishment, when in fact he is now becoming an establishment candidate, right in front of their eyes.

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jun 2016, 3:19 pm

Hillary is terrible. She has no real principles and changes her mind with the polls.

I live in Tennessee, which Trump should easily win. I'll be voting for Gary Johnson, but if I lived in a swing state, I would vote for Trump over Hillary in a heartbeat. I know he's a total buffoon, and his idea for a "big beautiful wall" is lunatic, but I hate Hillary too much to ever vote for her.

I was hoping Sanders would somehow beat her, despite it being a long shot. And it was obvious the Democratic establishment and the media were supporting her. It's not coincidence that she was proclaimed the presumptive nominee right before those primaries, particularly in California. I imagine that probably kept a lot of Bernie people at home.

The fact it's taken her this long to secure the nomination shows how much people really dislike her.

I hope she gets indicted. I know Obama will pardon her ass, but I still want it to happen.

End of rant.