Assisted Dying for Mentally Ill People?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2016, 9:15 am

Canadian Bill C-14 has gone to the Senate which has amended it to include the following:

Toronto Star, June 9, 2016 - Liberal government concerned about new amendment on assisted dying: The new Senate amendment would expand the right to medically assisted death for those with non-terminal illnesses.

Quote:
It deletes the requirement that only those whose natural death is “reasonably foreseeable” should be eligible to seek medical help to end their lives. And it replaces the bill’s restrictive eligibility standard with the more permissive criteria set out in last year’s landmark Supreme Court ruling, which struck down the ban on medically assisted dying.

Quote:
Health Minister Jane Philpott said she’s personally concerned that the amendment would mean people suffering strictly from mental illnesses would be eligible for assisted dying.

Toronto Star, Feb. 6, 2015 - Supreme Court strikes down assisted suicide ban: Canada’s highest court has struck down the law against assisted suicide and in a unanimous ruling.

Quote:
In the 9-0 judgment, the court declared the Criminal Code’s absolute ban on assisted suicide goes too far. Its attempt to protect the lives of “vulnerable people” also prevents competent, consenting adults suffering “grievous and irremediable medical conditions” from making core decisions about how they live and die, and so breaches three of the most basic rights: to life, liberty and security of the person, all enshrined in Sec. 7 of the Charter, and is not justified in a free democratic society.

Quote:
The ruling is not limited to disabled individuals who are unable to kill themselves unaided, nor to cases of terminal illness or people near death. Instead, the ruling applies broadly in cases of a major illness, disease or disability that inflicts intolerable physical or psychological suffering on a patient.

If the Bill were to pass as amended than it could be legal to seek out assisted dying for mental illness in Canada.

I'm not sure what I think of this. As a mentally ill person, my mind wanders to the question of my life's worth. Is my suffering grievous and irremediable? Is it reasonable for me to want to seek out an end to my life?

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2016, 11:55 am

Scary Orwellian s**t there. Let's just have a Logan's Run world and get it over with until the giant Meteor!

Once voluntary is made legal it will be under a century before court cases to enforce a death come along. First it will be "my ill relative is too drugged to say what they want. Or my mentally deficient one has no future"
Slippery Slope.
Life either has value or doesn't. And one it doesn't; no action that takes it should be illegal.
Why stop at illness, why not just being too poor? too old? to unlikable, too depressed? too addicted?

And insurance. So if a vindictive person in divorce rather die? Life Insurance should pay? yes or no. Or the ill person? he kills himself to save his family finances..but Insurance should pay. I will say if they do now, they won't for long.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2016, 2:21 pm

gingerpickles wrote:
Once voluntary is made legal it will be under a century before court cases to enforce a death come along. First it will be "my ill relative is too drugged to say what they want. Or my mentally deficient one has no future"
Slippery Slope.

I think it might prompt eugenics. Easier to prevent a flawed life from existing than to euthanize it after it's developed.

gingerpickles wrote:
And insurance.

In Canada we have universal health care. The government pays for health related procedures.

I don't think there is a common experience of life. I think life's value is determined by the person's experience of it. To say one is for life is meaningless as life is not a defined term. It has to be valued in each individual case.