Page 13 of 16 [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 11:54 pm

Darmok wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
I would suggest that maybe a blanket ban on advocating for white nationalism might also be useful for the health of the site.

Speaking as a Devil's Advocate, why only white nationalism?

Surely a blanket ban on advocating Marxism ought to come first, since Marxism has killed tens and perhaps hundreds of millions more people than any other ideology. . . .

So moderators should censor ideas. Who decides what ideas get censored? Maybe we should also start burning books. (sarcasm)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 11:57 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Viper, for example, was to the right of Dox (a self-identified "non-liberal") both economically and socially. Viper regularly complained about the dangers of Muslims being allowed to migrate to Europe, and protested against redistributive systems of wealth, and yet Dox considers him "liberal".

Not sure where you're getting that, as I'm reasonably certain I never applied that label to him, though I found his zeal on climate change and anti-racism somewhat over the top.

The_Walrus wrote:
- Since Raptor's return, the treatment handed out to him and Kraichgauer has been very similar
- When nurseangela was last banned for personal attacks, two other users were banned within the hour for personally attacking her.
- Mootoo received far more warnings and bans for his behaviour - excluding attempts to get around his ban - than Jacoby did for similar but less persistent behaviour.

That's all well and good, but I can't help but feel that absent pressure from members like me and fair minded people such as yourself, that wouldn't be the case; that's not fair, and I know it, but it's what experience and my contact with some of your fellow moderators leads me to believe.

The_Walrus wrote:
If you poll users then I end up on the right and a few of the people who have posted in this thread end up on the left.

Does it especially matter if there are more drive-by liberals if the regular users are fairly evenly split?

I think it does because it changes who gets reported and with what frequency. For example, there are a lot more eyes on Jacoby at any given point than there are on any given liberal poster, and when someone gets reported enough times, often a reason to take action is found, if only to get some peace. I've tried counter-acting this effect by following behind contentious posters like Jacoby or Angela and reporting people who attack them (hence why my reporting pattern looks politically biased) and encouraged other posters to do the same, hoping to establish some parity on reporting frequency.

The_Walrus wrote:
I think the bolded section is a little hypocritical coming from the guy who lumps "progressive free marketers" with "utopian communists" and "yay Democrats, boo Republicans".

Fair point, but I've been lumped in with the conservatives by all of those people long enough that extending them the courtesy denied to me is difficult. I think of this as the "Raptorization process", and have been fighting it for a long time.

The_Walrus wrote:
It's true that there are low-info users on both sides of the "divide". It also seems to be true that the relatively informed voices on both sides (on the right, I'd pick out Viper as mentioned, AngelRho, and ruveyn on a good day; on the left, the cat users, the Canadian civil servant (I want to say VisaGrunt but perhaps that's someone else?) and the feminist with the artwork avatar) are seemingly less involved than ever, although of course there are exceptions.

Again though, those people checked out long before anyone had heard of the alt-right, and I still don't believe they have much, if any, presence here.

The_Walrus wrote:
The second is that, with one notable exception, left-wing users are more likely to tell people to publicly tell people to shut up and that they've been reported. Right-wing users who want the mods to silence criticism of their worldview just report it. I don't think there's any less of an expectation from right-wing users that mods are their police.

I might have to take some "credit" there, I've been counseling posters for years to avoid duking it out in public and simply report people who attack them without making a big deal of it, and who I am means that it's mostly been right of center posters I've been talking to.

The_Walrus wrote:
On appointing a non-liberal mod: first, most of our mods are appointed for posts which have nothing to do with politics, and all the current mods are pretty centrist albeit generally left-leaning (I am probably the only one who could be described as right-leaning, maybe B19). At the last round of mod appointments, a couple of more libertarian users were considered but ultimately we went with users who were about ten times more active. I don't think there is an openly conservative user who would be suitable given the TOS requirements.

No promises, but we're currently looking to appoint new moderators (although there's every chance Alex will disagree). If anyone reading this would be willing and thinks they'd be good, then drop me a PM. Particularly interested in hearing from people who feel the system is currently biased against their political views.

Oh, I fully appreciate the difficulties, and I hate the idea of ideological affirmative action, I'm just frustrated at the moment and do think it would help things.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 12:02 am

blackicmenace wrote:
So moderators should censor ideas. Who decides what ideas get censored? Maybe we should also start burning books. (sarcasm)

You noticed Darmok was responding to a moderator who first proposed censoring an idea, right?

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 12:08 am

nurseangela wrote:
pcuser wrote:
alex wrote:
I think part of the problem is due to initially inadvertent offensiveness. I've noticed conservative members make statements that are incredibly offensive to a group of people but when others try to explain why those statements are offensive, the conservative members will just repeat their previous statements without stopping to try to understand things from the other point of view.

Specifically, I've witnessed a lot of offensive statements about transgender people. It's clear that the posters don't even realize how offensive they're being. So other members attack what those posters are saying.

It's ok to attack a belief. If someone believes gay people shouldn't get married, you can attack that belief. If your belief is due to your religion, then be prepared to have your religion attacked as well.

There are plenty of conservative posters who make well-reasoned logical arguments that are based on facts. But there are a larger number of people I've seen who just post arguments that are full of holes (and really aren't even valid arguments). Their citations (if they even post them) are usually from illegitimate or fake news sites that seem to exist solely to push a certain point of view.

Generally when liberals post faulty arguments that aren't based on facts, it's about gun control or something else that doesn't actually contain bigotry against another group of people. So they don't foment as much of a negative environment, even if what they're saying is wrong. There's a difference between attacking someone's beliefs (such as their religion or politics) and attacking a person for who they are (such as their sexual orientation or gender identity).

You said it far better than I could have. Thanks...

I also don't see where it says here that it is ok to harass another member by sending them PM's calling them a "Crazy b***h". Do I need to get my glasses on? Is it somewhere in microscopic print and I'm just missing it?

I take that back - you called me an "Evil b***h". And I sure the hell know that I'm not EVIL! : - P

Do you?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 12:14 am

Adamantium wrote:
It's a bit difficult to see how the oppression thing and the louder voices, setting the tone thing can be simultaneously true.

Easy; there's a passion gap, but we're swimming against the tide and have to work much harder and be much more careful because of the number of opposing voices, and eyes watching us for reasons to get rid of us. You think it's easy for two members to battle a whole forum on even a single issue to the point that we dominate the conversation? For "gun control = good" to become the obvious consensus opinion here would merely require that Raptor and I stop posting, our level of domination requires that we both be experts on the subject and tireless in debating it, a level of dedication that most non-obsessed people simply can't match. It's kind of a microcosm of US gun politics actually.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 12:18 am

Dox47 wrote:
You want us to pretend that we like people that we don't, who make no pretenses about how they feel about us?
No, I just don't want you to talk about them at all if you hate them. Talk about the lies they told or how you felt abuse by them or how annoying their style of English is, but don't talk about them. That's the division between personal/not personal.

"I don't miss his crap ideas" --Fine. "I don't miss him" -- Why would you need to say this?

Dox47 wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
Do you really feel entitled to use a public forum to let other people know you don't like them? If that wasn't your goal, and the issue was behavioral you could so easily have said, "I don't miss their behavior."

I'm a real person with real emotions, not Mr Spock, and I don't think it's fair to expect that level of detachment from me given the level of provocation allowed. I'm not going to miss our recently departed feminist who repeatedly called me "creepy" and said I made her feel unsafe simply for arguing with her either; going to warn me for that as well?

She is a real person with real emotions, too. Does that magically make her abusive comments OK? I don't think you believe that.

Dox47 wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
This warning was of no consequence to you. You were in no danger of being even temporarily banned. I had no idea of your history or why this would be a sensitive issue for you. Unless you intend to launch a slew of personal attacks in future, nothing whatsoever would come of this.

...there are rules. Ours are unfortunately vague and poorly worded, but there's a limit to how far they can be stretched, and you crossed it, that I would suffer no "real" consequences is immaterial to me.
While I can't remove the warning, I could put in a note to disregard it. I asked the other mods and they said it was a borderline case, but they agreed it was valid. That's the process. You don't get to decide that there is some other process or magic line in the sand or whatever.

Dox47 wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
Even if there were later occasions when you broke all the rules and got a ban, the bans are temporary now and the goal is to avoid permanently banning anyone who isn't a spammer, obscene troll or can't stop themselves from compulsively attacking others. Since you aren't any of those things, there really shouldn't be a problem. This thing that you are doing now, though, that's a different level altogether.

Forcing you to justify yourself in public is "a different level" than obscene spamming? Kinda says something about your priorities, doesn't it?
Miscommunication, probably my fault. My intention was not to say that your actions in calling me incompetent and posting merry japes about creative murder is on a whole different level than the original warning.

To me these events look like this;

Adamantium: Warning: Hey, don't be nasty like that.
Dox47 Reply: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our freedom!"

Quote:
This is just a conversation, one that could have been avoided had you not overstepped yourself and slapped me with an unjustified warning, salting fields and poisoning wells would be much more dramatic than me bumping an old thread and arguing with you.

Maybe there is something in your communicative style that I don't get. Perhaps I misread the PM you sent promising to fight this terrible injustice in light of your "Murum Aries Attigit"

You might be right, though I don't think so. I don't understand why this is a such huge deal for you, but I am confident that in time it won't be. I think I have made my thinking clear here and there isn't anything more I can usefully say about it.

I can see your perspective, you can't see mine or don't care to. We'll have to leave it there.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 12:36 am

Dox47 wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:

You noticed Darmok was responding to a moderator who first proposed censoring an idea, right?

Yes.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 12:57 am

Adamantium wrote:
No, I just don't want you to talk about them at all if you hate them. Talk about the lies they told or how you felt abuse by them or how annoying their style of English is, but don't talk about them. That's the division between personal/not personal.

"I don't miss his crap ideas" --Fine. "I don't miss him" -- Why would you need to say this?

Eh, it's a community, it's pretty hard to expect that no one is ever going to talk about each other. You can go back to the beginning of this thread, before this recent *unpleasantness*, and find people coming out of the woodwork to take shots at me personally, and unless I'm very much mistaken, nothing was done about it, despite the presence of several moderators and the site founder. My real objection here is that I'm feeling singled out because I don't see this standard of non-engagement being enforced against anyone else, regardless of functionality level, and that kind of differential treatment is sort of a special interest of mine, as you've no doubt figured out by now. :lol:

Adamantium wrote:
She is a real person with real emotions, too. Does that magically make her abusive comments OK? I don't think you believe that.

That's not my point, my point is that it's completely natural for me to be happy that someone like that is gone, and unreasonable to expect me to never acknowledge my feelings on the matter. Again, community and all.

Adamantium wrote:
While I can't remove the warning, I could put in a note to disregard it. I asked the other mods and they said it was a borderline case, but they agreed it was valid. That's the process. You don't get to decide that there is some other process or magic line in the sand or whatever.

No, but I can make a stink and argue my points, which is more than I get in the "moderator review" process that never seems to overturn a call. It's not like I'm harming anyone here, I'm essentially filibustering to make a point, which I feel has been made.

Adamantium wrote:
Miscommunication, probably my fault. My intention was not to say that your actions in calling me incompetent and posting merry japes about creative murder is on a whole different level than the original warning.

To me these events look like this;

Adamantium: Warning: Hey, don't be nasty like that.
Dox47 Reply: "They may take our lives, but they will never take our freedom!"

I am a bit Scottish, and it's not like you weren't warned, "The Ram Has Touched the Wall" essentially means no quarter once battle has commenced.

Adamantium wrote:
Maybe there is something in your communicative style that I don't get. Perhaps I misread the PM you sent promising to fight this terrible injustice in light of your "Murum Aries Attigit"

That seems likely, my humor seems to go right by you (truly, that's not an insult, just an observation). I have that very Aspie trait of seeing humor in the most deadly serious of situations, and sometimes that strikes people the wrong way.

Adamantium wrote:
You might be right, though I don't think so. I don't understand why this is a such huge deal for you, but I am confident that in time it won't be. I think I have made my thinking clear here and there isn't anything more I can usefully say about it.

Surely, as an autistic person, you understand extremes of thought when the subject of fairness comes up? Agree with me or disagree with me, the point is that I felt that I wasn't treated fairly, and that's a situation where I don't particularly care about the magnitude of the actual act, it's the principle of the damn thing that drives me. I'm a chef, I'm on my feet all day dealing with the insanity that is a professional kitchen, do you think that what I want to do at the end of my day is spend hours fine tuning internet rants? I'll fully admit this is a compulsion with me, one that I haven't found a solution to, as I'd really much rather be able to shrug this kind of thing off.

Also, as someone who's been accused of not actually being autistic before, I'm going to use this thread as "exhibit A" in the future. :lol:

Adamantium wrote:
I can see your perspective, you can't see mine or don't care to. We'll have to leave it there.

Oh, I see your perspective, I just think it's wrong, and wanted to make my case in the open for others to judge.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 1:07 am

Dox47 wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Personally I think that rule should be ammended to include discussing warnings as well

Then what recourse would someone who received one for an innocuous statement have? We already have virtually no accountability here with regards to the site moderators, why give them another tool to shut down discussions they'd rather not have?

I should of explained more clearly , the recourse should be with a PM to a mod. Unfortunately posting here is a privilege not a god given right. If you post here , you have to obey the rules including ones that Mods make up on the spot , it may not be fair or right but publicly bitching about it does nothing positive for you as a member and in fact can have the reverse effect , it can turn you into a marked man.

For the record , I am not having a go at you Dox , I'm just telling you how I see it as I have a bit of experience in censorship & being banned on forums ( Im much more chilled nowadays and know when Im fighting a losing battle :wink: )

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 1:17 am

Another thing I'd like to change is to do away with the Moderator Attention thread as personally I think it is used by members who want to find and be involved in a drama

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 1:17 am

You do not need to ban anything (besides maybe robot-spammers such as the stuff that typically gets throw into the spam-box of g-mail accounts). All that is needed is education. Proper education (rather than indoctrination). I also need to correct the idea that Marxism has resulted in more deaths than any other ideology. Statism (i.e.: belief that any claimed so-called government-entity is somehow infallible) is what has resulted in more deaths than any other ideology. Actually, when it boils down to the core, only two ideologies exist in reality : The ideology of Peace versus the ideology of War. Any ideology that, for any reason, condones some form of punishment upon another for any kind of perceived offense is an ideology of War; and out of all the «ideologies» I have ever come across, Absolute-Pacifism is the only ideology that would never lead to being a cause of deaths upon others, for nobody in their right mind who believes in the Karmic-Law of Life would ever want to be complicit to bringing any harm against others with the knowledge that all suffering imposed, including all of the collateral-impositions/sufferings, will become the same experiences that «manifest» into his or her future (even if it is a fate to be met in any so-called after-life).

Darmok wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
I would suggest that maybe a blanket ban on advocating for white nationalism might also be useful for the health of the site.

Speaking as a Devil's Advocate, why only white nationalism?

Surely a blanket ban on advocating Marxism ought to come first, since Marxism has killed tens and perhaps hundreds of millions more people than any other ideology. . . .

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 2:22 am

Just going to quote the specifically relevant points here and address both Ada and Dox.
I think the both of you are blowing up the issue(s) a bit more than necessary.
Not missing someone is simply the opposite of missing someone. If it's a big deal to express how one feels about another, without actually directly name-calling them or referring to them in a derogatory or pejorative manner, then consider this...

I have periodic absences but, for some reason, a number of forum-members always recognise me and it is obvious that my references to so-called «conspiracies» or subjects that touch upon the para-normal or ufology are frequently responded to with the kind of expression (some might use the term: attitude) that entertaining such ideas makes one a nut-case. Certainly, I do entertain and consider valid what others regard as the raving delusions of a lunatic, and I might even go so far as to say that I am the only member of these entire boards who receives such expressions from others (but nobody reports those comments, and I feel no need to report such things either, although I can probably safely state for a fact that the average person being lumped into passive-references of being a so called «crazy, tin-foil hat-wearing, insane & delusional, mentally ill, nut-case conspiracy theorist who needs to be drugged up with psychiatric-medications» would probably be far more offensive to them than for someone to say that they were not missed or will not be missed).

For «Arbitration» purposes, I will agree that «good riddance to him/her» or «I do not like that guy» or «glad they're gone now» may indeed, come close to border-line passive-aggression, but neither are they necessarily direct insults, although such posts/statements can certainly «stir» the feelings of those being referenced (that depends of course on their emotional state-of-mind... I even remember, from another forums, a response that someone gave back...: «This isn't facebook. You don't have have to "like" me.»).

Now if it were a statement about someone who is factually known to be very emotionally unstable, and definitely or likely or guaranteed to take offense to the idea that someone who comment about not missing them, then of course I would ask for said poster to please refrain from fanning the flames and educate said poster that the one who is gone needs help/assistance to recover from their unstable/offensive/etc., state-of-mind, rather than criticisms. Discussions of how to help disruptive people become more sane would be encouraged whilst the perpetuation of criticisms would be discouraged.

For purposes of the «Verdict» of my current «Arbitration» on the Ada/Dox matter, I might recommend that Ada take a one-week break from responding to Dox about how Ada thinks that Dox is wrong about this or that in this or that way since it seems to be possibly causing him more agitation to need to respond or argue back and, similarly, I think Dox has already voiced out sufficient frustrations, but should also similarly try to refrain from responding to Ada for also about a one-week period. For now, I will also recommend that, should Dox have any particular issues with any particular forum-members to express, that Dox do so in a manner that does not specifically address any forum-names directly. For example, say I were to go absent, and many of us know that I have that Tin-Foil Hat reputation by certain «factions» around here (teehee), a post like... «...what a relief that what I perceive as nutter-job rantings have stopped for now» would be fine whilst «good riddance to that Ban-Dodger guy who finally couldn't dodge a ban» or «glad we don't have that resident tin-foil hatter around any more» would be too obvious as to the forum-member's identity (although I do not personally find it a big deal but, remember, everybody deals with stresses in life, some may have even gone through the traumas of losing all of their family members in life without necessarily telling anybody).

From a «Neutral/Out-Side» Perspective... I feel that what was really only an Ant-Hill has been getting blown up into something becoming a potential mountain if continued.

Dox47 wrote:
Adamantium wrote:

You can go back to the beginning of this thread, before this recent *unpleasantness*, and find people coming out of the woodwork to take shots at me personally, and unless I'm very much mistaken, nothing was done about it, despite the presence of several moderators and the site founder.
Adamantium wrote:

That's not my point, my point is that it's completely natural for me to be happy that someone like that is gone, and unreasonable to expect me to never acknowledge my feelings on the matter. Again, community and all.
Adamantium wrote:

Surely, as an autistic person, you understand extremes of thought when the subject of fairness comes up? Agree with me or disagree with me, the point is that I felt that I wasn't treated fairly, and that's a situation where I don't particularly care about the magnitude of the actual act, it's the principle of the damn thing that drives me.

Also, as someone who's been accused of not actually being autistic before, I'm going to use this thread as "exhibit A" in the future. :lol:
Adamantium wrote:

Oh, I see your perspective, I just think it's wrong, and wanted to make my case in the open for others to judge.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 1:34 pm

Quote:
Some sort of probationary period thing, long expired. Keep in mind, I really was only the second member to ever come back legitimately (League_Girl was the first), so the whole thing was kind of a pilot program. It should say something about me that I'm still here, 3 out of the 5 moderators at the time hated me and wanted me gone for good, but I didn't give them any excuse, and I'm still here and they're all gone, with a pretty much unblemished record to boot.

There was a time when members here would get banned for no reason and lot of them happened to be members on the troll forums or they would go join them after being banned over a misunderstanding or after dealing with the abuse and some of them just left before they were even banned because they felt they were being harassed by one of the mods. There was one girl duckfetishgirl, who was banned for her username and I believed it was a misunderstanding (she had made no posts here at the time of her ban) and then she came back after me and the two mods still believed she was a troll and thought I was still trying to make trouble when I posted I was glad to see her here.

Then I remember that same mod who posted the mod log also found a pattern that any member who was banned from here had their accounts messed with by having their emails deleted from their account and their passwords changed and they were all members of the troll forum. For some reason I was never banned until I pissed off a mod. Why the special treatment, I will never figure it out. One of my online friends who no longer comes online thinks this had all been planned months before it actually happened when I showed him the log. That would probably explain the "special treatment" if his speculation was correct. But why me? I know I have always been vulnerable to bad treatment. Even my school wanted to put me in a behavior class and acted like I was evil or something when I was 12 when all I was doing was trying to be normal and be like everyone else and trying to figure out the rules. They tried to say I had a behavior but my mom thinks they were just saying that so they could get rid of me. It's speculated that the former mods here were looking for excuses to get rid of members here so they would just look for things in posts to warn them about to get rid of them. I felt thrown out then too and I also felt one of the mods was just looking for things in my posts to slowly get rid of me and that was something other banned members had complained about in the past on other boards and from ones who left before they were banned. So I have experienced this in real life and online.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 5:12 pm

Dox47 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

The_Walrus wrote:
- Since Raptor's return, the treatment handed out to him and Kraichgauer has been very similar
- When nurseangela was last banned for personal attacks, two other users were banned within the hour for personally attacking her.
- Mootoo received far more warnings and bans for his behaviour - excluding attempts to get around his ban - than Jacoby did for similar but less persistent behaviour.

If the above is true, then I apologize for saying that the moderators are not doing their jobs correctly. One thing I believe is a problem is that no one knows what happens and if everyone is being handed out the same disciplinary actions as everyone else. I, for one would have no problem with people knowing that I was banned - I don't see what the big secret is, in fact, it is not a big secret because I see in some threads how people are told when a person is banned and how many strikes they have against them. There should be a place one can go to check on people's records and who has been banned and for how long so they know when they are coming back. I know when you report someone and want to be told the situation was handled, all they do is come back and let you know it was closed. The person who reported the incident should at least be told how the member was disciplined, in fact, the whole community should be aware of who has how many strikes against them and who is banned and why. That's why I'm so upset, because I think that I'm being banned and no one else is (which evidently is not the case). When people don't know anything, then that's when paranoia and rumors start. I just want everyone to be treated fairly.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 6:44 pm

nurseangela wrote:
The person who reported the incident should at least be told how the member was disciplined, in fact, the whole community should be aware of who has how many strikes against them and who is banned and why. When people don't know anything, then that's when paranoia and rumors start.

I have not read a single word on this thread, for a lonnnnng time----I only clicked on your post, NA, because I knew that Dox had defended you on this thread, and wanted to know what you thought.

Now, as some people are aware, I support transparency when it comes to a Mod's actions, regarding why a thread was locked, for instance. I don't, however, think I support transparency in regard to a Mod's action when someone has been disciplined----because then it is a personal matter, and that's not fair to the person who got banned, for instance. I don't think Mods should be tellin' other people's business, and that's what it would be if a Mod told User A, that User B got banned, because of User A's report of their behavior. When User B gets back, then it's totally their prerogative, to divulge what happened, or not.

Also, I can totally see how, if a Mod were to tell User A how User B was disciplined, it could turn into a "feather-in-the-cap-gettin'-challenge"----meaning, User A might get a swelled head, thinking he had "power" to get people disciplined, and then be on a mission to report User B, at the drop of a hat, cuz User A simply doesn't like User B, and that's not fair because there is ALWAYS gonna be people that a user doesn't get along with, while getting along with many OTHER users. One can't just say "Well, I don't like this person, so I'm gonna get him banned"----which brings me to my final points.....

If the whole community knew who had how many strikes against them, I can totally imagine hearing stories of how someone worked, behind-the-scenes (using the Report button/PM), everyday, to get a user "that last strike" to get them banned----or, WORSE yet, a clique of people ganging-up on someone, to get them banned.

There's always gonna be rumors----imagine if there was a log: "User A - banned for cussing", "User B banned for a personal attack"..... Then, people will be saying: "Ohhhh, I wonder who User A cussed-out", or "Ooooo, I wonder who User B attacked----I bet it was User T; they hate each other!". "No, I bet it was User S, cuz User B likes her, and instead of admitting his feelings to himself, he attacks her all-the-time, to put her down"; and it would be totally unethical, IMO, to include any more detail than that (ie, which user, User A cussed-out), because that throws another person into the mix (again, tellin' someone else's business).

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 9:31 am

Campin_Cat wrote:

Now, as some people are aware, I support transparency when it comes to a Mod's actions, regarding why a thread was locked, for instance. I don't, however, think I support transparency in regard to a Mod's action when someone has been disciplined----because then it is a personal matter, and that's not fair to the person who got banned, for instance.

Wholeheartedly agree with you CC