The Dino-Aspie Ex-Café (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 992 of 1006 [ 16088 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 989, 990, 991, 992, 993, 994, 995 ... 1006  Next

lau
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 4:53 pm

And so, another moth drifts by...

(An extra 'h' would have been better there)

Back from a six week amble up, from Spain, through France. The mosquitos enjoyed me.

Gramply tuna. Scrrimpule ant contour placation?

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 3:54 pm

lau, that sounds like a delightful trip, especially for the mosquitoes.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 9:18 pm

Thunka-thunka... is this thing on? Herro?

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 11:32 am

Hi, Nan. You have to push the button.

Today I'm in Florida visiting grands. From the back of their other grandmother's condo, we were able to see ten cities' worth of fireworks last nigh. Today, it's raining hard enough to wash us all away.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 9:49 pm

Oh my.

I think I liked it better when the fireworks went up one at a time, and you didn't know what was going to explode up there, and you could do the "ooooh, good one". Rather than them shooting up 50,000 shells in 30 minutes. It's kind of sensory overkill.

Send your rain here. We desperately need it.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 12:09 pm

Nan, how is smoke season for you this year? Is it okay if I ask for an update on your daughter?

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 8:07 pm

Hi Lelia.

Smoke season is ok so far... it's dampish right now, thanks to the "monsoonal flow", but in a month or two that will change. Everything here is crispy brown and we are in mandatory water rationing because of the drought. They say we might have an el nino year, which usually means a really wet winter. I hope so, cause it's just tinder out there waiting to go up. Never see it so brown. Bad memories....

The Kid is good, she's still on Lau's side of the pond. Due home in just under three weeks after a year abroad. I'd say it's done her a world of good. Went to visit, her room looked in the state it does when she's at home, so that hasn't changed. ;) Was nice to see her, she seems very happy there, and the climate is good for her. I guess we'll see about maybe going there, someday. I've only got a couple of years until retirement and dual EU citizenship, so it's not impossible....

How you?

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 9:54 pm

Nan. That makes me happy to hear your daughter was able to go abroad. That's amazing.
I just got back from a trip to Cleveland and then Mary Esther, Florida (next to Niceville) to see children and grandchildren. Uneventful flights, which are exactly the kind you want. Oddly enough, it was cooler in both Cleveland and Florida than it was back home in Vancouver, WA. I came home to some dead plants even though the neighbor watered every day.
Our part of the concrete block fence has been built. Another neighbor has to complete the back. And then we'll have an empty lot surrounded by a strong, safe fence. Two hours before we left for the trip, we got the email from DDD telling us approval of the house we're building for us and our autistic daughter has been denied. We can live together if we want, but if we do, DDD will fire her companion home provider, her 24/7 caregiver. We thought we had addressed that issue by making our part of the house an Auxiliary Dwelling Unit with a separate entrance and address and solid walls between the two. So we sent a letter back appealing the decision and told the builder to halt, which he said was like trying to stop a loaded train. He had gotten everything lined up for the strong building our daughter should not be able to destroy. We sold our house and business and are living in a tiny condo so we can build this. I am deeply aggravated. Other than that, everything is fine.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2015, 11:20 pm

Oh dear Lord, I'm sorry to hear that Lelia.

Not to panic yet, appeal, then if that does not work appeal the appeal. Keep going as much as you have to until you get the answer you need.

Things will work out. They always do. Just sometimes not in the way you first think they will do.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2015, 1:45 pm

Nan, we are appealing. And we hope there is a favorable decision that will let us at least get a roof up before the fall rains begin. There's a building boom on, prices rising, and it's hard to get the subcontractors on the schedule. Which is what our builder had finally arranged. We had given the plans to DDD months ago, and since they didn't complain for over three months, we thought we were okay since we had corrected everything they had complained about before. I wish they knew and understood how many tens of thousands we are losing over this. But they have no reason to care, and so they don't care that the house(s) may take an extra year to build and cost another hundred thousand. At least. My husband is feeling sad about the extra years he will need to work to afford this. First world problems, I know. We should rejoice that he can work, and that eventually something will be built. Still, :evil: .
If anyone would like to help us reach our goal, I'm selling books, or, a book, sequels to follow. http://www.amazon.com/Shatterworld-Leli ... atterworld. I need reviews to bump the book up into visibility. The main character has (surprise!) Aspergers.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2015, 11:35 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry Lelia. :(

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2015, 3:27 pm

Last Saturday (Aug 22) my niece and I did a booksigning at Interstellar Overdrive. I was pitching my middle grade science fiction, and she was selling her humorous fantasies. I sold over ten books. We had fun alternating talking. This was my niece's first booksigning. I invited her to join with me because I enjoy being with her and I knew she would never arrange one on her own. She has an anxiety disorder. She did fine and was pleased to find she did not die while talking to a small group of people. :D

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2015, 5:05 pm

Bump, because I think it is needed.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2015, 5:38 pm

Hey, Postie. It's been a while. I think the muffins have gone stale.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2015, 5:57 pm

Ya it has been and, not to worry, have a new recipe.

"asperger's was taken out of the DSM-V"
Is this true?

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2015, 1:32 am

postpaleo wrote:
Ya it has been and, not to worry, have a new recipe.

"asperger's was taken out of the DSM-V"
Is this true?

Yes, but under ISD-10 i believe it is still classed as aspergers until review in 2017, apparently ISD-10 is supposedly international, and DSM-V under ""WHO"" is more an american localised point of view.. So i suppose it depends on what ""Bible"" your physician wants to take the information from, however, if i haven't misunderstood, those that wish to keep ""Aspergers"" as a form of identity can do so, however i dont know again if this is outside the US or internationally.. Im sure someone would have a better idea than myself at this moment in time :)