How to find people that aren't SJWs or alt right?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 12:41 pm

Jeez most the people around here I wish would pay attention to politics at all, They are by and large automatic party voters. Know nothing about ANY of the candidates , probably 2 in 10 won't bother themselves to vote at all in the younger set. Most my family are unpleasantly left Dems. Specially the native americans.

My personal friends in AZ are mostly moderates (conservative left or progressive right)and half are registered Independent. We could be a joke... a black mormon, and old jack mormon, a ranching cowboy, a full blood native, a youngster from a JH family, a catholic hispanic, an environmental activist and a Bolivian national (legal) is our core. Deceased now was an ad man, and a EU immigrant born in China that married filthy rich.

There are a few far right in our fringe but we don't play well with radical left.
Basically we don't tolerate hijacking our day to day communicating with rhetoric. And the left and right extremists in my circles, the kook on the right says nothing unless subject brought up. The kook on the left volunteers their unwanted view in monotonous spew of dogmatic hysteria. And start the insults quick.
They don't get invited in our inner sanctums after that.

Respectful friends (even civil acquaintances) do not push politics as main subject of conversation in social gathering. Politics is not social. And unless at church, religion is not good social subject. If you have nothing more to offer your gathering in conversation than religion and politics? You haven't lived long enough, are a social shutin, or (often) just a plain doosh.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 12:58 pm

gingerpickles wrote:
Most my family are unpleasantly left Dems. Specially the native americans.

This is something that always puzzles me. I occasionally read Indian Country Today, the biggest native American newspaper. It's general political stance is somewhere in between Marx and Lenin. There are few people in this country who have suffered more at the hands of the federal government than American Indians -- and yet somehow the party of more and bigger government is the one they love.

There Are Four Lights!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 4:41 pm

I'm neither an SJW or a "alt right" person.

I know some people who have right-wing opinions (wingnuts)--but I don't know any true SJW's.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 5:09 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Find someone with a job?

People with jobs don't have much time to be thinking about political issues.

Sounds like a political/social issue in itself.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 5:35 pm

We're just living through one of those periods future historians will euphemistically call "turbulent". Politics is polarised because politics as we have known it for the last 50 years is dead by its own hands. Revolution is in the air.