Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 5:55 pm

...James Brown sang about " Talkin' Loud And Saying Nothin' " :P !

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Dec 2015, 1:13 am

I used to talk to myself but I forced myself to break the habit for the most part. I used to do it to help analyze things & sort things out or just for fun cuz I felt like saying something repeatedly.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2015, 5:37 am

Yes, I talk to myself all the time. I will mutter to myself in public a lot, often unconsciously, but I've learned not to do it in communal work or study areas, which is one reason I prefer to work at home. It helps me focus, understand topics and organise my thoughts. One of my hobbies is writing and I will often improvise character dialogue aloud, playing each different character as I go.

Deborah wrote:
synx13 wrote:
I am just so FRUSTRATED about it because I really want to learn, even go to university(science). But with my current learning habits, I don't stand a chance.

Deborah, have you tried looking at YouTube? There are so many wonderful resources there for science students who prefer to learn visually. Also, your university may be able to give you assistance if you have an official diagnosis, such as by supplying you with a note-taker. These days many lectures are recorded, and being able to go back and listen to them at my own pace was a lifesaver for me. You could also give university a trial run by doing one or two of the many university-level subjects that are offered free online. Pick something you find interesting and give it a shot!

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2015, 7:25 am

Drat, I just realised this is a really old thread. Anyway, my reply might be useful to someone.

Or maybe I'm just talking to myself again. :D

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 1:49 pm

Yes, I often talk out loud to myself. Usually it's when I'm alone and often when I'm trying to play out a scenario in my head. The audio involvement helps me get a better overall understanding of what I'm thinking about.

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 7:34 pm

I do. Sometimes I do it to clarify things - and I don´t really hear, that I´m discussing aloud.. Sometimes it is just repetition of a single word - but not in any kind of trance. I just say it a number of times until I can "finish" it.
Stimming, I suppose.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 9:14 pm

I do this but I'm careful. Those people on the streets who walk around in circles alternatively mumbling or shouting to themselves make me very cautious. As said, I do it most often when trying to work things out. I'm very organised so when something is not where it is kept, I'll end up wandering around saying "now where is it? Why would I have put it anywhere but in its place? I haven't even been in the bedroom so it can't be there, where did I go last?"
I caught myself doing this in a supermarket once and though I better keep a lid on it - "now, what else do I need? You have the nori, then the rice, then tofu, cucumber, avocado, what else was it?"
I'll also rehearse what I'm supposed to say to someone if it's important or there are a lot of words, but I think most people would be guilty of that.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 9:50 pm

I talk to myself too, I don't know why I do it. I started talking to myself when I was in my late 30s. I'm glad I'm not alone :D

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 10:46 pm

I talk to myself all the time, usually slightly under my breath(like whispering) if someone else is around, that is just how my brain has always worked. I struggle to think if I don't do this.

artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Dec 2015, 7:12 pm

I will talk out loud to myself when I am stressed, like when I misplace a tool at work. And I will usualy answer myself at some point, usualy when I spot where I laid tool down and forgot about it. According to my therapist, its normal for me and not to worry about it or what others think. Its just how my mind works and processes information differently. Dodger.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2015, 9:11 pm

I do it an awful lot. Never as a conversation. More what I'm doing or need to do. Like if I'm looking at threads in here, I'm saying I'm going to click on (thread name) and yes I'm like that too (or whatever my reaction to whatever thread it is). Or I'm making a sandwich, I need butter and a plate and cheese. I say that entire thing. I very frequently repeat one word that I've just said over and over and over again out loud and stuff that other people say.

RenaeK
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Dec 2015, 10:49 am

Google echolalia. That's what it sounds like to me.

I talk to manage my overexcitability, like a fantasy indulgence, so does my hfasd son, but that's not what you're describing.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2015, 10:56 am

I talk to maintain focus and get steps done one at a time. I think it's an aid to executive function, which I am fairly lacking in.

I do this at work but try to keep my voice low. So far, no one has complained.

I also use inaudible and sometimes audible self-talk to coach myself, like if I am trying to form or break a habit, I'll say something like "Good job!"