Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 1:09 am

I am unsure weather this happens because of my autism, my Generalized Anxiety Disorder, some combination of the two, or something else entirely but I am hoping to figure that out. I am very easily startled, especially by unexpected and/or sudden loud sounds or people touching me. If I'm focusing on something with my noise canceling headphones on and someone taps me on the shoulder to get my attention then I will be scared out of my socks. I also have a set of wireless skull conducting open ear headphones that I like to use most of the time when it's quiet in the house because it makes me more aware of my surroundings and nobody needs to touch me or startle me in any way to get my attention.

My mom (Who has ADD, is broad autism phenotype, and might have an anxiety disorder although I'm not sure) is easily startled too, but then again she is where I inherited all my disorders from so that doesn't really help.

Is anyone else here easily startled by sudden loud noises and/or people touching you?

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 1:20 am

I get far more annoyed by sudden loud knocks/noises/interruptions than startled.

Wewnaw
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jun 2016, 1:59 am

Yes, if a sudden loud sound or unexpected touch happens it makes me jump. I'd say it's like being hit by lightning, it's a sharp red hot pain that goes through my body and my brain. It can take a while for the reaction to calm down sometimes also.

RAADS-R score: 189.0
Seeking diagnosis

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 4:05 am

I jump easily. I'm actually worse when I know a noise may occur because I anticipate too much. Sometimes I feel embarrassed about it.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 5:39 am

I get startled easily also, and my startle response tends to match the suddenness and loudness of the sound or the intensity? Not sure that's the right word? Of the touch. I started a thread about the loud noises in The Haven actually. It feels like a surge of adrenaline to me and I always jump, sometimes curse, and generally get irritable the more frequent the interruptions. I don't have an ASD diagnosis. Mine are GAD, OCD, and depression.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 5:49 am

Yes, this happens to me, mostly because of unexpected noise. It's annoying when people think it's fun to startle you, too.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 10:45 am

HighLlama wrote:
Yes, this happens to me, mostly because of unexpected noise. It's annoying when people think it's fun to startle you, too.

I HATE when people are like that. I used to get startled, but now I get incredibly angry.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 1:14 pm

Yup. Almost got into a few fights because of a unexpected bro slap.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 3:57 pm

I startle quite easily, so much so that I actually jump a bit.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 3:59 pm

I jump and scream. I feel very uncool about that.

choklado
Raven
Raven

20 Jun 2016, 4:04 pm

I do that very often.
Not as much as when I had issues with my sleeping however..
Back then it was pretty intense.
Once my mom dropped a clothing hanger on the floor when I was about to fall asleep and that was painful in my whole body.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 4:05 pm

underwater wrote:
I jump and scream. I feel very uncool about that.

You just have to scream something that sounds like some kind of satanic incantation. Or start speaking in tongues. I bet they'll stop then :)

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 4:07 pm

^Or you could swear without really swearing. I have a massive list of free fake swear words if anyone's interested.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 4:22 pm

Kuraudo777 wrote:
^Or you could swear without really swearing. I have a massive list of free fake swear words if anyone's interested.

Well, I generally just sound like a startled monkey.....oh, wait; that's what I am :D

Btw, there's nothing fake about my swearing. I have an extensive vocabulary :twisted: :D

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 6:12 pm

Oh yeah, my cousins find it hilarious because they can scare me literally 2 seconds after already scaring me by just saying "BOO!" Suddenly.

I think GAD doesnt help but i would suggest a combo of sensory sensitivity and GAD.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 8:10 pm

I hate being startled. I have never wanted to watch horror movies and have never been on one of those haunted house rides they have at amusement parks.