Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 6:39 pm

Rhodiola is much better, except that it acts as a stimulant and thus can raise blood pressure a bit.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 6:40 pm

GarTog wrote:
My levels of anxiety and depression have reached levels that are difficult to cope with on a daily basis so I have decided to take St John's Wort to lessen the symptoms - I have researched the potential problems and stopped taking simvastatin and replaced it with reduced alcohol intake and increased cholesterol-busting foods (I am already vegan so not too much of a trial).

Just wondering what the group experience has been?
Good, bad or indifferent I am interested - will also revisit this thread with on-going reports as to efficacy or otherwise to make it useful to everyone...

You are 56 and your testosterone is probably dropping, or has dropped rapidly. Get some blood work done before you mess with any pills, natural or otherwise. You are also vegan and thus most likely are not getting enough nutrition, especially when it comes to hormonal health. Again, get blood work done. You want these tested:
Total Testosterone
Free Testosterone
Estradiol
Luteinizing hormone
Follicle-stimulating hormone
prolactin
hematocrit
Complete Blood Count
AST/ALT
Cortisol
Comprehensive Metabolic Profile
Thyroid:
TSH
T3
T4

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Jun 2016, 2:12 am

I tried St John's Wort & it made me more moody & depressed.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

GarTog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2016, 6:15 am

Thanks for all the information - just one observation I would make about GP involvement (although I shall be using them) is that when I discussed using StJW with a GP some years ago they said "go ahead!" - this was the same GP who had prescribed me simvastatin and had no idea that the interaction could kill me!

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 5:25 pm

Check online - you have to make sure there is nothing that is going to overdrive serotonin levels.

Also, have heard that you have to give up SJW for a couple of weeks before some anaesthetics.

SJW can also make some people susceptible to sunburn, and a friend of mine gave it up as he said it made him feel dopey.

GarTog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jun 2016, 2:53 am

Alexanderplatz wrote:
Check online - you have to make sure there is nothing that is going to overdrive serotonin levels.

Also, have heard that you have to give up SJW for a couple of weeks before some anaesthetics.

SJW can also make some people susceptible to sunburn, and a friend of mine gave it up as he said it made him feel dopey.

I actually work for the NHS so have checked the contra-indicators thoroughly.
Seretonin Syndrome is caused by taking SJW in conjunction with an SSRI so OK there.
Not seen anything specific about anaesthetics.
Photosensitivity is a recognised but very rare side-effect (use sunblock)
I already dopy ;-)