Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

LittleLu
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jun 2016, 11:03 am

I apologize if this has already been asked in the past, but does anybody collect BJDs (ball jointed dolls)?

I've found taking care of my BJD brings a lot of calm to me when I'm feeling flustered or upset. Call me crazy but I enjoy talking to him because he's like a teddy bear for grown ups. (Trust me, you wouldn't want to give a child one of these. They're normally priced over $300 and are fragile. Mine was $600.)

Any other BJD collectors/hobbyists/artists?

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2016, 4:08 am

I wish I had one, or two... or three :P I love them, but don't own any. I'm actually in the process of making one. Though I kind of put it on hold for a while and am now figuring out a few things so I can get back to it.

What is your doll's name, if you don't mind me asking?

"I do not wish to evade the world
Yet I will forever build my own" - Tuomas Holopainen

LittleLu
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jun 2016, 7:35 am

Making your own! Goodness, that is work! ^-^ I've looked up the process of creating them from scratch, and it's quite extensive. I have respect for anybody who even has the motivation to do that, lol. He's the Little Kliff sculpt from the company Little Monica, though I've been entertaining the idea of naming him Zenith. He's about 42cm high. Just big enough to travel with.

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2016, 12:34 pm

I like art, creating things, and a challenge, so its fun for me :P I probably won't cast him in resin, at least not for a while, so that will make for a bit less work. One of the problems is I hate the texture of my hands after I wash the clay off. They end up feeling "squeaky clean" and that feels like nails on chalkboard to me XP

Zenith sounds like a good name, and I quite like his fluffy hat ^_^ The doll I'm making will probably end up around 50 cm.

LittleLu
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jun 2016, 12:45 pm

Thank you! XD 50cm is a good size for a doll. ^-^ And I understand what you mean by the sensation of the clay. I don't mind working with it, but for some reason that feeling when you wash it off is just bizarre to me. I've seen someone create a BJD from simply polymer clay, without casting a resin mold. It seemed difficult for them to keep the doll smooth, but it was quite nicely made.

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2016, 2:23 am

I'm using LaDoll air dry clay. I like that it can be carved and sanded down. Its also easy to add clay to a piece even after the piece has dried, and I don't like using ovens (which you need for polymer clay), so it works for me :P
I have seem some amazing dolls by other people made with various clays. I love to see the unique characters people come up with. Researching bjd making was kind of a special interest for a while so hopefully I've learned enough to make one I'm happy with :)

LittleLu
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jun 2016, 7:32 am

Oooh, air dry clay definitely seems like it'd be easier. ^-^ I've worked with some clay like that before, but I'm by no means a sculptor, lol. Best of luck to you in your doll making! :D

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2016, 9:09 pm

Thank you :D