Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 8:28 am

great book

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 11:33 am

underwater wrote:
I general, conferences, universities and the like need to stop disinviting people because they disagree with certain members of those organizations. How is anyone going to learn anything if people aren't allowed to disagree?

Hear, hear.

I won't sign either. Even if I hated the man and his message (which I don't), I wouldn't support him being harassed or boycotted over petty personal dislikes :roll:

justanothergal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2016, 1:06 am

I do not agree with the petition, so my signature will not be appearing.

Steve, I recently bought your book and thought it was excellent.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 5:09 am

Just read some of the comments. It's getting signed by a bunch of curebies and anti-vaxxers. Wonderful.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 9:49 am

I don't agree with everything Mr. Silberman says...

...but I'm not about to sign a petition begging to silence someone who's making an argument for my essential humanity and value as a human being.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 2:38 am

I was so impressed and moved by the speech Steve delivered to the UN on 1 April 2016. You can find video of it by googling "Steve Silberman UN speech 2016". There are text versions online too. Didn't notice a single "dangerous lie" that the OP in this thread seems to be obsessed with, only very cogent reflections on the past, present and future for ASD people.

ASPowerationsReturns
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jun 2016, 9:45 pm

I haven't finished reading it, but I remember the titular character in the chapter "The boy who loved green straws," and some other characters being impaired by autism. I think his balance of HFA/LFA representation is within reasonable range of reality.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 6:36 am

I have not read the book, but judging by the comments made by those who signed the petition (and who didn't read the book) versus the comments made by those who didn't sign (and who actually read the book), it would be worth the fare and ticket to be there in person the hear what he has to say.

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 7:08 am

He does not warm the cockles of my heart but I cannot sign to silence anyone even if he is the biggest Nazi or moron in the universe.
But on that note I would think that vaccine naysayers, gmo naysayers and Scientologist saying we just need engrams adjusted should also be allowed to speak on campuses and at public events. If our kids are so lost to critical thinking they fear a non-standard message can "convert " them all with them never doing research? Then Universities need to stop getting all public funding and thin the herd down .

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 7:46 am

Fnord wrote:
I have not read the book, but judging by the comments made by those who signed the petition (and who didn't read the book) versus the comments made by those who didn't sign (and who actually read the book), it would be worth the fare and ticket to be there in person the hear what he has to say.

There are plenty of youtube videos of Silberman's speeches.

So far 88 signiatures. The only people this petition is impressing is its authors, petition signees and some Wrong Planet posters.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 9:00 am

gingerpickles wrote:
But on that note I would think that vaccine naysayers, gmo naysayers and Scientologist saying we just need engrams adjusted should also be allowed to speak on campuses and at public events.

Who's stopping them from speaking? Some are actually quite vocal.

On the other hand, you can't force anyone to invite them to speak, public events usually invite people that the organisers see as having an interesting, relevant and/or informed opinion (or one that aligns with their own views and agenda, true that), not just any random person who happens to have an opinion.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 1:06 am

Interview with Silberman by
ASA

Silberman does answer critics

I feel these words are most needed at this time

Quote:
But one thing that has become very clear to me is that you can’t predict what your child’s life will be like in middle age based on their behavior as infants, and you should never give up hope of improvement, even later in life. I’ve heard some parents say online, “My child is not like Temple Grandin!” Well, Temple Grandin was not like Temple Grandin when she was four years old either. She was self-injurious, prone to tantrums, flinging her poo, and would eventually get kicked out of multiple schools for unruly behavior.

While the situation is different the basic idea still applies to teens or young adults who have no friends, no job and have never had sex or relationships of any kind

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 8:33 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Interview with Silberman by
ASA

Silberman does answer critics

I feel these words are most needed at this time....

Perhaps Silberman's follow-up book to NeuroTribes will be about the variety of autists in world history and today ... more of a socio-political history than a clinical or diagnostic history.

Meanwhile, I hate to do this, but, I believe that when Silberman states that "[...]people who continue to claim that the MMR vaccine or mercury-based vaccine adjuvants triggered a global autism 'epidemic' — despite all the scientific evidence to the contrary[...,]" he is failing to consider ordinary adverse drug reactions (ADRs). A simple Internet search for the terms "adverse drug reaction" "mimic" "induce" "disease" and "disorder" results in many legitimate sources which describe certain diseases and disorders that, if they aren't sophisticated enough to know the difference, clinicians and diagnosticians might be convinced that they are seeing the real diseases or disorders, not the ADR effects of induced or mimicked diseases and disorders. This phenomenon is somewhat pervasive among such diseases and disorders, so why would autism be the only such disease or disorder to not experience mistaken diagnoses based on ADRs? Of course, it wouldn't be so, and isn't. While I agree with (and thank) him for his popular reiteration of the effects of the expanded diagnostic criteria in the 1980s and 1990s, the claim ignores these ordinary ADRs (and resulting mistaken diagnoses of induced or mimicked autism) that would seem to account for the relative handful of claims that children "changed" immediately after a scheduled vaccination. So, in my opinion, it isn't a matter of "autism is caused by ADRs" or "autism isn't caused by ADRs," but, instead, "autism is equally susceptible to mistaken diagnoses based on the relatively rare induction or mimicry of ADR-related diseases and disorders."

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 9:20 am

I don't think this is fair. Why should Silberman (or anyone else refuting the bogus claim that MMR vaccine caused an epidemic of autism cases) refute a different argument. No one is saying that no child (or adult) ever has an adverse reaction to vaccines, that's not the point. I doubt very much that Steve "failed to consider" ADRs --He's just staying on topic.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 11:18 am

It's part of the Michigan Mindset.

When I was growing up in Michigan - in a town just outside of Lansing - I realized that, instead of engaging in thoughtful debate with a person whose opinions differed from one's own, most people in the area seemed to resort first to any means (including violence) available to get the opposition to shut up.

There was no exchange of ideas, no give-and-take, and no consideration given to the concept of free speech. No, instead the prevailing attitude was more along the lines of "I am right, you are wrong, so you should just shut the f*** up before I shut you up!"

I blame the pervasive influence of the UAW and their adversarial attitude against anyone with wealth, intelligence, and a college education.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 12:16 pm

^
I've never set foot in Michigan, yet I'm very well antiquated with this mindset.