Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 2:59 pm

The job I wanted, I can't get them to return my calls. It's been two weeks since I heard from them. When do you give up? Only if you get a letter you are definately not hired?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 3:07 pm

Angnix wrote:
The job I wanted, I can't get them to return my calls. It's been two weeks since I heard from them. When do you give up? Only if you get a letter you are definately not hired?

I used to get all kinds of forever-delayed responses to my application and resume. I gave up when I was accepted by another employer. Face it: The kind of employer who doesn't tell an applicant that they weren't selected is the kind of employer I wouldn't want to be around. What else would get forgotten or delayed?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 3:16 pm

Well, they just responded and they are just taking a long time, at least until next month for interviews.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2016, 4:35 pm

Angnix wrote:
Well, they just responded and they are just taking a long time, at least until next month for interviews.

I guess you will have to settle with that information.

justanothergal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jun 2016, 9:52 pm

Best to take what they said and see what happens. Employers tend to get turned if they're contacted by a prospective candidate too many times as it can make one seem aggressive.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 5:31 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
The kind of employer who doesn't tell an applicant that they weren't selected is the kind of employer I wouldn't want to be around.

That kind of employer is the norm around here. I guess there aren't a zillion applicants for each job out there in Utah?

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2016, 8:22 am

Can you find the job ad? It usually says when they invite for job interviews. It isn't over before they send you a job rejection. But you'll have to wait for them to write you.

jonathan88
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jun 2016, 3:21 am

you could keep applying to many places until one anwers, its a game of luck in a way have to keep playing it

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 1:19 pm

I keep looking for suitable positions and never finding any. I'm suppose to start voc. rehab but I don't think they will help me much.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 1:25 pm

ok wrote:
Can you find the job ad? It usually says when they invite for job interviews. It isn't over before they send you a job rejection. But you'll have to wait for them to write you.

Oh, and the HR lady sent me an extended job announcement, it contained the payrate, but no info on how many hours a week or any benefits, but it did say the job was a year with possible renewal. If it turns out to be like 10 hours a week with no benefits then it is not worth it.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 1:16 pm

If you do start vocational rehab, you should start a thread with that in the title and ask for advice. Some people have had good luck using it and some haven't, but I think getting advice on how to act and how proactive to be with them would help.

I talked to a vocational rehab counselor while I was gathering information for my seminar series lately. He sounded pretty frustrated and negative about it. He seemed to think that if people had more practice presenting themselves he would be able to get them better positions. My problem with that is that it's simple to help people with these presentation tricks and it seems like vocational rehab should do that. I guess it isn't part of what they do though. Or not this guy, anyway.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 1:25 pm

That means you weren't rejected. I'd pursue it. It might not be 10 hours a week with no benefits.

It means they're going to call you for an interview.

If it's 10 hours a week with no benefits, then don't take it.

But pursue this.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2016, 4:56 am

justanothergal wrote:
Best to take what they said and see what happens. Employers tend to get turned if they're contacted by a prospective candidate too many times as it can make one seem aggressive.

I'd like to comment on this. This is sort of true now for the 'new HR' old school HR you were expected to call to check up on the job it shows you have interest. Ever since HR has become College Educated only with fancy titles and depending on the Internet to do the hiring and head hunting for them they have focused their duties elsewhere. It's a catch 22 any self respecting Human Resources Generalist would love to be contacted by you. On the other hand these companies that have a been rep or new culture it's not a good thing to keep calling.

Angnix wrote:
I keep looking for suitable positions and never finding any. I'm suppose to start voc. rehab but I don't think they will help me much.

They won't essentially you can't expect them to help you. You need to know what you want from them and use it to your benefit. Do you want to go to school or get a job? I set out last year to get vocational rehab I lead the conversation and goal setting due to the fact they don't care what kind of job you get even if you get a job where its min wage and you cannot support yourself they'll take credit like Obama's shovel ready jobs to where if you were hired for 10 hours weekly and then they canned you, you're a success story!

What I did was I used it to get preference for hiring within the state. One year later after applying and taking about four state tests for jobs I get a mail informing me I had an interview and I got the job shortly afterwards.

SocOfAutism wrote:
If you do start vocational rehab, you should start a thread with that in the title and ask for advice. Some people have had good luck using it and some haven't, but I think getting advice on how to act and how proactive to be with them would help.

I talked to a vocational rehab counselor while I was gathering information for my seminar series lately. He sounded pretty frustrated and negative about it. He seemed to think that if people had more practice presenting themselves he would be able to get them better positions. My problem with that is that it's simple to help people with these presentation tricks and it seems like vocational rehab should do that. I guess it isn't part of what they do though. Or not this guy, anyway.

Agreed, you have to know what they can do for you going in because they won't tell you most of the time.

As for presentation I agree its something vocational rehab should help someone with Autism with because presentation is everything, I'd recommend acting classes.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2016, 2:20 pm

Now it is officially time to give up... they hired someone else, I didn't even make the cut for an interview.... sigh...

Now to wait on the other job... the other one makes more sense anyway because it's a commute from my current house, just need to find a vehicle, no need to move.

redbrick1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2016, 4:50 pm

This comes from my own experience, but as a general rule if they do not call within two weeks than they have decided to hire someone else or at least not hire you. I find it frustrating and inconsiderate that employers will not call applicants back stating they decided to move on. I have made it a point to call people back who interviewed that I decided to go a different direction.
It is not just me, but 73 percent of applicants do not get calls back.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2016, 4:57 pm

redbrick1 wrote:
This comes from my own experience, but as a general rule if they do not call within two weeks than they have decided to hire someone else or at least not hire you. I find it frustrating and inconsiderate that employers will not call applicants back stating they decided to move on. I have made it a point to call people back who interviewed that I decided to go a different direction.
It is not just me, but 73 percent of applicants do not get calls back.

I had to ask them again because they were silent for awhile. Now the other job already interviewed me over the phone and said he will talk me early next week if he wants to meet me in person. So if it hits like Thursday and I hear nothing, should I pester that guy?