Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 10:20 am

Just getting back into WP after a hiatus and during that time, I've returned to fully embrace one of my earliest loves: video games. Since then, I've been collecting games for the systems I've owned during my life (fitting since I never got rid of them). Are there any other people who consider themselves collectors or big fans of retro games?

LittleLu
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jun 2016, 11:27 am

Can't say I'm a collector... (When I was young and dumb I ended up selling my SNES and ALL of my cartridges to my cousins.*le sigh*) But definitely a lover of the retro and classics. I was quite proud of my gold edition Zeldas and limited edition consoles.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 11:28 am

I'm into retro games, but I'm drawn more to stuff I never played when it was current, or games that were cutting edge before I was tall enough to use an arcade cabinet. Things I missed out on, in short.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 12:40 pm

LittleLu wrote:
Can't say I'm a collector... (When I was young and dumb I ended up selling my SNES and ALL of my cartridges to my cousins.*le sigh*) But definitely a lover of the retro and classics. I was quite proud of my gold edition Zeldas and limited edition consoles.

I've been there. I sold a big chunk of my collection to clear room for the newer systems. I still see kids bringing their 360s and PS3s into game stores and I just think to myself "you're possibly gonna regret that one day." Fortunately, I've been able to reclaim a good portion of the games I sold (still got a lot of work to do on the Game Boy though).

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 1:40 pm

The Xbox 360, PS3, and most other newer systems are so heavily reliant on online services, downloads, and infrastructure that they're likely not going to be nearly as functional 20 years from now as say an NES, and it's only going to be worse with the PS4 and Xbox One. We've already seen it somewhat with 6th generation systems like the original Xbox and PS2, and even to a limited degree with much older systems like the Super Famicom, which had a (now-useless) addon that provided networking capabilities through a Japanese satellite TV system.

Combined with the relative disposability of newer technology, as well as the blockbuster sales of modern AAA titles, I don't think there's ever going to be much of a collector's market for what we now consider current or last-generation games in the future.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 2:13 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
The Xbox 360, PS3, and most other newer systems are so heavily reliant on online services, downloads, and infrastructure that they're likely not going to be nearly as functional 20 years from now as say an NES, and it's only going to be worse with the PS4 and Xbox One. We've already seen it somewhat with 6th generation systems like the original Xbox and PS2, and even to a limited degree with much older systems like the Super Famicom, which had a (now-useless) addon that provided networking capabilities through a Japanese satellite TV system.

Combined with the relative disposability of newer technology, as well as the blockbuster sales of modern AAA titles, I don't think there's ever going to be much of a collector's market for what we now consider current or last-generation games in the future.

Quoted for truth.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 8:57 am

I do collect games, but I'm not like a collector. I don't buy terrible games just so I can own them all.

crmoore wrote:
I still see kids bringing their 360s and PS3s into game stores and I just think to myself "you're possibly gonna regret that one day."

Most of that stuff is just "flash in the pan". Tons of games that can be beaten in a couple hours and then flipped back to GameStop for something newer...nobody's going to be nostalgic for a lot of that junk in the future.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 12:51 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I do collect games, but I'm not like a collector. I don't buy terrible games just so I can own them all.

crmoore wrote:
I still see kids bringing their 360s and PS3s into game stores and I just think to myself "you're possibly gonna regret that one day."

Most of that stuff is just "flash in the pan". Tons of games that can be beaten in a couple hours and then flipped back to GameStop for something newer...nobody's going to be nostalgic for a lot of that junk in the future.

There were a few gems from the past generation IMO. Bioshock, Uncharted, Batman Arkham, Borderlands, etc.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 12:01 am

Yeah, I said "most", not "all" ;)

Most of the gems can also be played on PC though, or at least are playable on newer consoles. I only own a small handful of actual 360 games, some okay-to-good exclusives like Crackdown and The Darkness.
Recently got Diablo III for the couch coop and gamepad support, it's not bad.

el_punto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2016, 6:41 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

There will be, even though things like DLC and bug fixes should be on the disc to begin with. It's more companies releasing games with a "release now, fix later" mentality. That's what needs to be changed. Physical copies also need to stay relevant to avoid the cancer that is the DRM-infested digital only future.

That said, the PS Vita is a modern console that may get more expensive to buy games for over time. Especially limited physical releases and import games tend to hold their value. Niche Japanese video games in general also will hold thir value due to being released in smaller quantities in comparison to Western AAA titles.