Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 3:14 pm

I'm not Aspie, I am classic autistic (diagnosis). But I have savant arithmetic abilities, and I have a photographic memory.

Dreadful Dante
Raven
Raven

25 Jun 2016, 3:56 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
I'm not Aspie, I am classic autistic (diagnosis). But I have savant arithmetic abilities, and I have a photographic memory.

That's impressive! I had only seen one person with savant arithmetic abilities before. Now I've seen two.

EmmaHyde
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2016, 6:38 pm

I joke with my girlfriend/ friends and family members I fit the Hufflepuff motto of being a particularly good finder to a tee, often able to find information or things that people are looking for and have not been able to find. This also relates to finding gifs that fit my posts XD
As for other super powers...if it's something creative with my hands that doesn't involve drawing or painting, I'm able to pick it up pretty easily / replicate it. A few examples, I taught myself how to do metal stamping, create necklaces, and make hair dangles, just after feeling the originals and examining them. Acadmeia wise, I am able to procrastinate and write an A paper a couple hours before it's due. And I'm able to read a 220ish page book in a few hours. I shocked a friend by doing this while traveling back home on a flight

-------
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
++++++

Dreadful Dante
Raven
Raven

25 Jun 2016, 7:11 pm

I also have a PhD in Procrastination, just like you, Emma.
And once I read 5 books in a week. 12 books in a month. Recently I read 2 during the weekends when I find interesting material.
I usually can't read through an entire book if I read it in fragments. I need to go through it all in one sit, two or three. More than that and I can't focus much more.

Peacefully,
Dante.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 7:14 pm

Dreadful Dante wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:
So how do you plan to use your talents relating to the study of the human mind, behavior, and communication Dreadful Dante?

I currently use it to be able to deal with people in a healthy way and understand them (I still need to work on that). In the future I'm planning to help people develop their social skills and emotional inteligence. I like teaching it, not only to "less socially skilled" people like myself but to NTs as well as a way of improving their well-being. I still don't do that professionally, though.

When I found out there were people like me throughout the world, I felt the urge to help them. The things I have already found an answer for, I feel the need to share.

Creativity is indeed a super power, as Einstein said, "Knowledge is limited, Imagination encircles the world".

The world needs more people like you, Dante! :)

Dreadful Dante
Raven
Raven

25 Jun 2016, 7:27 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
Dreadful Dante wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:
So how do you plan to use your talents relating to the study of the human mind, behavior, and communication Dreadful Dante?

I currently use it to be able to deal with people in a healthy way and understand them (I still need to work on that). In the future I'm planning to help people develop their social skills and emotional inteligence. I like teaching it, not only to "less socially skilled" people like myself but to NTs as well as a way of improving their well-being. I still don't do that professionally, though.

When I found out there were people like me throughout the world, I felt the urge to help them. The things I have already found an answer for, I feel the need to share.

Creativity is indeed a super power, as Einstein said, "Knowledge is limited, Imagination encircles the world".

The world needs more people like you, Dante! :)

Thank you for your kind words!

EmmaHyde
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2016, 7:51 pm

Dreadful Dante wrote:
I also have a PhD in Procrastination, just like you, Emma.
And once I read 5 books in a week. 12 books in a month. Recently I read 2 during the weekends when I find interesting material.
I usually can't read through an entire book if I read it in fragments. I need to go through it all in one sit, two or three. More than that and I can't focus much more.

Peacefully,
Dante.

Procrastination= something that I seem to excel in. And as for books, when I was a youngster, I'd go to the library in the summer and walk out with a stack of books. When I'd get home, I'd walk into my room and read until 6am. Half the stack would be done by the time I went to sleep at 6am. I'm very much the same way on books in chunks except for the GoT series...that one I had to read in chunks.

Being in school/ working full time I haven't been able to read as much as I want to lately :/

-------
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
++++++

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 11:55 pm

I'm a damn good gardener.

I have the Ball Blue Book committed to memory. Me and a pressure vessel are all you need to can anything.

I've become a fair herbalist.

I know more about mental health than most therapists.

I'm becoming a living, breathing Bible, I have most of the works of John Steinbeck, Terry Pratchett, and Laura Ingalls Wilder committed to memory. I could get a monkey through a degree in English Lit.

I know more about religion than some monks.

Dreadful Dante
Raven
Raven

26 Jun 2016, 7:29 am

BuyerBeware wrote:
I'm a damn good gardener.

I have the Ball Blue Book committed to memory. Me and a pressure vessel are all you need to can anything.

I've become a fair herbalist.

I know more about mental health than most therapists.

I'm becoming a living, breathing Bible, I have most of the works of John Steinbeck, Terry Pratchett, and Laura Ingalls Wilder committed to memory. I could get a monkey through a degree in English Lit.

I know more about religion than some monks.

That's surprising! I've studied religions a ton too (including many others, including pagans). About the knowledge on mental health, I also feel like I know more about mental health than many therapists. I did better learning Psychology by myself than I did in therapy.

But this is a dillema, some people take Psychology as just one more study about people. Just like people learn grammar for years and still make writing mistakes when writing a paper.
Those who choose to improve themselves through that knowledge are the ones with real practical mastery of it. Someone might know the entire dictionary, but speaking those words themselves is the only way to internalize it.

My grandparents are great herbalists. They have performed deeds doctors called "miracles", but actually it was just a mixture of the right medicinal herbs from their garden.

Peacefully,
Dante.

BioLife
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jun 2016, 12:52 am

Funny you should use the term, "Aspie Super Powers" because I actually really do view my AS as a super power. I LOVE the X-Men and see myself as a mutant with special mutant abilities. My aspie super powers are not so much several different things in isolation but how they work together. I have a high IQ, a rage to learn, and I can focus much harder than most people. The result of these things working together is that I can master pretty much anything I choose to, and even after only a short period of time I can become an authority on a subject. This has gotten me into trouble more than once as the actual authority did not appreciate having some random person knowing more about their subject of expertise than them. I have several times now met someone with a degree in X, Y, or Z, and after talking to them about their subject of study, it becomes clear to both of us that I know more about it than they do despite me not having a degree in the area. Because my knowledge is much broader than theirs, I'm able to see a much larger picture and make many more connections as well. Most people cannot even begin to wrap their mind around what I'm capable of, and they tend to either be awed, frightened, or disgusted with me when they find out. I finally realized that greater than 90% of people start hating me once they find out about all the things I've accomplished or done in my life, so I just never talk about myself any more.

It's not just trivia or anything like that either. The ability to master things has flowed over into several talents and physical fitness as well, so I give an outward appearance of being some kind of perfect individual, which then causes insecure people to hate me. What they don't realize is that I'm deeply traumatized and struggle with PTSD, so my life is actually very far from perfect. I can't tell them that though. So instead I just don't really talk to anyone about myself or anything that interests me. It's all just either asking questions about them or small talk. Most people seem to like it this way.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 1:04 am

I'm good at "winging it"...never had to revise for an exam, just seem to know the answers and get an average mark. I'm happy with that.

Other than that I'm very perceptive when it comes to people and situation and outcomes. I am a very good judge of character and get a bit frustrated when people can't see what I see straight away. I always seem to be playing the waiting game.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 5:47 am

I'm really good at being a Wolfman.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 6:38 am

I can deconstruct faith-based arguments, and leave their believers in a confounded rage as they realize that their precious beliefs have turned to vapor and quietly wafted away.

HCHCHC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2016, 8:06 am

Dreadful Dante wrote:
SteelMaiden wrote:

That's impressive! I had only seen one person with savant arithmetic abilities before. Now I've seen two.

Three. I'm one. I can do things way beyond anything documented.
I also remember everything. I have a photographic memory and can answer just about every question that needs knowledge.
That sounds so boastful...I didn't mean to.

Dreadful Dante
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2016, 10:07 am

BioLife, I am also able to do that and people FREAK OUT. Some could in fact "out grow" me in their arguments but the fact that they freaked out keeps them from doing it. In my case it's more of a linguistic chameleonism, I can identify the speech patterns of an authority on the subject and speak like them. I have succeeded to even stand out in practical circumstances, where the professional himself was in action and I did better.

I also studied fitness for a long time and still study it. The problem is that I need almost 6,000 calories a day to gain weight. I managed to do it for some time and put on 10Kgs of muscle (little to no fat) but then it became inviable as I had college and couldn't eat as before (at home, like a bull). Some people just need 2,4k, I need 5,6k... My brains burns too many calories as I like to say. If you have any healthy solution for that, I'd like to know it.

LOTTA X-MEN AROUND HERE. I'm liking this. Even the ones that don't think they have super powers, they just haven't found it out.

Peacefully,
Dante.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 11:06 am

I can look up relevant links on the internet quickly. This is skill I have acquired because I have been doing it on a consistant basis since 1997, not some Aspie superpower. At most Autistic traits of hyperfocus and not wanting to be wishy washy might have been a factor.

Under the literal definition everybody is a mutant because we all are result of genetic mutation. The colloquial definition of a mutant is someone who is only partly human. Every poster to WP is fully human even though for good reasons they might not feel that way. X-Men are fantasy comic charactors.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman