Why do SJWs think I'm obligated to kiss their ass?

Page 10 of 13 [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 3:40 am

heavenlyabyss wrote:
Usually when I hear someone use the slur SJW I assume they are someone who has been accused of racism or misognyny (perhaps fairly perhaps unfairly).

I don't find that to be the case, it's mostly just used by people who've gotten exasperated at the ever more petty grievances some of today's activists make into life or death issues. Did you see the students who needed crisis counseling because someone wrote "Trump 2016" in chalk on campus? The woman physically attacking the white man with dreadlocks because his hairstyle was "cultural appropriation"? The Yale professors driven from campus for daring to ask students to lighten up about Halloween? You don't need to be personally involved to be annoyed by this behavior, and it's hardly rare or isolated, those of us on the coasts likely need to look no further than our own Facebook walls to find it.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 6:26 am

dcj123 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

For those unfamiliar with /pol/, it's the "politically incorrect" board on 4chan, essentially a neoconservative hivemind. As you can see here, there isn't really much of a difference between them and the SJW movement. They may be on opposing ends of the political spectrum, but they both represent repressive ideals.

+1

I dislike you some what less now lol

j/k That might have been harsh but its got more to do with isolation then anything aimed at you.

It's fine. :P We may disagree on certain things, but I think you're pretty cool.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 9:45 am

Well FRBLDragon made just as bad an impression as Aeandi.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 10:43 am

Mansplaining is when a woman expresses a thought or feeling about a topic, and a man then explains the topic to her as if she didn't already understand it. Basically, it's a man condescending to a woman by assuming her views come from a place of ignorance or stupidity.

Gas-lighting is when a person (man or woman) is manipulative or cruel, and denies it by claiming the other person is crazy. They may claim they didn't say things they said, didn't do things they did, or that the other person is overreacting or overemotional. It's a tactic frequently employed by emotional abusers, and since autistic people are more likely experience abuse I don't think it's a term any of us should dismiss as nonsense.

Triggering is also a real thing, though probably hard for someone who's never experienced PTSD to understand. Stories, videos, etc. that bring up memories of a traumatic event can trigger a flashback. A flashback means that the person feels like they are re-experiencing the event. I've had flashbacks; they are not made-up b.s. but an actual psychological phenomenon, similar to a panic attack.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 12:55 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Mansplaining is when a woman expresses a thought or feeling about a topic, and a man then explains the topic to her as if she didn't already understand it. Basically, it's a man condescending to a woman by assuming her views come from a place of ignorance or stupidity.

Gas-lighting is when a person (man or woman) is manipulative or cruel, and denies it by claiming the other person is crazy. They may claim they didn't say things they said, didn't do things they did, or that the other person is overreacting or overemotional. It's a tactic frequently employed by emotional abusers, and since autistic people are more likely experience abuse I don't think it's a term any of us should dismiss as nonsense.

Triggering is also a real thing, though probably hard for someone who's never experienced PTSD to understand. Stories, videos, etc. that bring up memories of a traumatic event can trigger a flashback. A flashback means that the person feels like they are re-experiencing the event. I've had flashbacks; they are not made-up b.s. but an actual psychological phenomenon, similar to a panic attack.

I don't disagree with you, as I know these are all real things. Being fairly new terms however, I think their definitions are not well known among people, and they tend to be misused as a result. That's just my view on it, as I had no idea wtf "mansplaining" or "gaslighting" meant until recently. "Triggering" is pretty self-explanatory to me though, and I even remember as a kid I once used "trigger" as a synonym for "provoke", long before it became a popular term online. I dunno, it's just an interesting coincidence that sticks out for me.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 12:59 pm

Gas lighting is actually a very old term. It goes back to a play in the thirties in which a guy dimmed the lights in the house only to tell his wife that she's imagining things when she notices.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 5:08 pm

YippySkippy wrote:

Mansplaining is a ridiculous idea. A female can be just as condescending to a male or another female, and people can be condescending for many reasons other than sexism. It's called being an as*hole; we don't need a special word for when a man does it to a woman, because that implies that it's always motivated by sexism, when it's not.

Triggering is a legitimate term, but it's used WAY too loosely by a lot of SJWs for anything that makes them a little bit upset. Most of the SJWs who say it were never diagnosed with PTSD, and by using the term incorrectly they are hurting people with real PTSD.

- Sherlock Holmes

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 7:59 pm

Quote:
Mansplaining is a ridiculous idea. A female can be just as condescending to a male or another female, and people can be condescending for many reasons other than sexism.

Yes, and that's not mansplaining.

Quote:
It's called being an as*hole; we don't need a special word for when a man does it to a woman, because that implies that it's always motivated by sexism, when it's not.

Mansplaining is motivated by the conscious or unconscious belief that women need men to explain things to them, and that if a woman disagrees with a man it must be that she is stupid and/or ignorant about a topic. Therefore, mansplaining IS inherently sexist.

Quote:
Triggering is a legitimate term, but it's used WAY too loosely by a lot of SJWs for anything that makes them a little bit upset. Most of the SJWs who say it were never diagnosed with PTSD, and by using the term incorrectly they are hurting people with real PTSD.

I've only seen the term used in regard to stories/videos that might trigger someone (trigger warnings). It's hard to imagine how trigger warnings could hurt people with PTSD, or anyone. It's just a heads-up, which everyone is free to heed or disregard as they wish.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 8:06 pm

A trigger warning is basically the same thing as the graphic content disclaimer.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 10:32 pm

It's not mansplaining. I would be saying the same thing to you regardless of your sex, because I disagree with what you're saying. How can you prove that the reason a man is being condescending is because he's sexist, without him saying so or making it explicitly obvious? He could just be condescending to this particular woman because he doesn't like her, or maybe he legitimately believes she doesn't understand and is just trying to clarify his idea, and unintentionally came across as rude.

But whatever the case may be, according to your logic, a man should never try to explain anything to a woman, regardless of the reason he is doing so, otherwise he is mansplaining.

- Sherlock Holmes

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 10:41 pm

As far as triggering, the reason I think misusing the word hurts people with PTSD is because some people use it in a way that renders the word meaningless. So people with legitimate PTSD are less likely to be recognized.

Also, even though it makes sense to avoid triggers to a certain extent, any decent psychologist will tell you that the best way to treat that sort of thing is actually to face what triggers you, starting with mild things and working up to bigger things so you become better able to handle it when it arises. With some time, and depending on the severity, many people can overcome their PTSD.

- Sherlock Holmes

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 12:05 am

For PTSD this is true. Long before PTSD was commonly reconized the term "triggers" has been used in addiction treatment as something to avoid. Addiction to bieng offended probably requires facing triggers.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 4:38 am

I feel like an idiot for posting that infographic now. Gah. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat of an advocate for social justice myself, but I do think the PC movement tends to take things too far, and in doing so they become just like the people they speak out against.

I think it's time we stop conflating social justice with the PC brigade.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 10:04 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I feel like an idiot for posting that infographic now. Gah. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat of an advocate for social justice myself, but I do think the PC movement tends to take things too far, and in doing so they become just like the people they speak out against.

Political correctness isn't a trait confined to any specific part of the political spectrum though. As much as throwing the term around is more typical of the right, they have their own brand of political correctness to peddle.

You are right, we do need to stop conflating social justice with the PC brigade, but that has plenty to do with reactionaries insisting advocating for social justice is 'enforcing political correctness' and not just treating people with equal dignity. Pointing out how society treats people based on various demographic identities offends their sense of political correctness, for example.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 2:18 pm

Quote:
It's not mansplaining. I would be saying the same thing to you regardless of your sex, because I disagree with what you're saying. How can you prove that the reason a man is being condescending is because he's sexist, without him saying so or making it explicitly obvious? He could just be condescending to this particular woman because he doesn't like her, or maybe he legitimately believes she doesn't understand and is just trying to clarify his idea, and unintentionally came across as rude.

I didn't accuse you of mansplaining, so I'm not sure what the first couple sentences of this response are about.
And yes, it is sometimes difficult to prove intent, and sometimes men may appear to be mansplaining when they are not. That doesn't mean mansplaining never happens.

Quote:
But whatever the case may be, according to your logic, a man should never try to explain anything to a woman, regardless of the reason he is doing so, otherwise he is mansplaining.

Well, if the only reason you ever explain anything to a woman is because she's a woman, then yes. But that's not what I said.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 9:48 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Political correctness isn't a trait confined to any specific part of the political spectrum though. As much as throwing the term around is more typical of the right, they have their own brand of political correctness to peddle.

You are right, we do need to stop conflating social justice with the PC brigade, but that has plenty to do with reactionaries insisting advocating for social justice is 'enforcing political correctness' and not just treating people with equal dignity. Pointing out how society treats people based on various demographic identities offends their sense of political correctness, for example.

The right wing "version" of political correctness is commonly known as "family values", but I agree, political correctness is something that isn't exclusive to any one part of the political spectrum. "Political correctness" and "family values" are basically the same thing from different perspectives.

You made a good observation in stating that identifying issues of social justice is often seen as being politically incorrect. Certain demographics are affected by various things more than others, and people don't like to admit this. Dignity for all people is something society should be striving for... but unfortunately discrimination is something that seems to be encoded into our DNA as human beings. That doesn't mean it's right, but how else are you supposed to explain where discrimination comes from in the first place? It has been argued that people don't start off discriminating against others, and that it's a learned behavior, but I don't think this is entirely true. It's not entirely false, but again, how else are you supposed to explain how it became a thing in the first place?