Why do SJWs think I'm obligated to kiss their ass?

Page 12 of 13 [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 9:02 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:
How is "hysterical flower" a sexist insult? Are you implying that the word "flower" must always refer to a female-identifying individual? Or that flowers are inherently feminine because they are delicate and pretty!? How DARE you!?!? Your heteronormative ideas serve only to reinforce the gender binary!! ! ! ! CHECK YOUR f*****g PRIVILEGE!! ! ! ! ! !!4$*! !&_!!&&!(((_&! ! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :skull: :cry: :cry:

Are you truly ignorant of the history of the term "hysteria"?--it was coined to specifically describe a woman who had temporarily gone mad because her womb had got loose inside her and was wandering around causing trouble. How is that NOT sexist, because of the derivation and the context of the discussion?

I used it as satire based on the way they are acting like words they find unpleasant can hurt them. I'm not talking about attacks or name calling, I'm talking about silly things that aren't meant harmful but are many times taken that way. I'm not saying that people don't have a right to be annoyed by them and to tell the person to please not say that around them but it's the going completely overboard and starting a public outcry because a guy says "Darlin" or some such term, or tries to be funny and makes a joke that his wife found funny but his coworker finds tasteless and offensive. The entire overkill centered around completely ignoring the fact that they are two different sexes while all the while making sure to keep hypervigilant so as to not make any reference to the fact that she is female because while many won't take offense, the fact is that she not only could take offense and if she does it will be blown completely out of proportion and turned into something completely different than it is. Nobody is saying don't be offended or don't speak up. The problem is the intensity and yes, hysteria, that happens when a SJW takes offense when somebody says something remotely related to being female. Nobody is ever just rude or a jerk, they are sexist and misogynist and whatever other label that could be stretched to fit, and they are written up and have a disciplinary warning placed in their file and have to go to classes to teach them to just not say anything at all because even if they don't say something offensive, it could simply be inferred by microaggression and then they can be told they are this ist and that phobic and the other thing discrimatory, and that it's so ingrained in them that they don't even know they hold that opinion until some SJW susses it out and informs them of it and it's back to class they go to learn how to fix something they didn't even know was broken and probably wasn't, until have to jump through these hoops while dancing through a minefield, and then people are surprised when they walk away from the experience with a bad taste in their mouth about ladies, or rather womyn.

So, I didn't use it in the sexist way, I used it to point out what it's doing to those who buy into it and how it can destroy decades of work proving that we aren't delicate fragile little beings, whose feelings could shatter like crystal if a man utters the wrong word in our presence. That's really giving away your power in such a lame way, in some crazy attempt to gain and keep the upper hand.

Thats how I used it. Don't worry, I don't expect you to understand it and I fully expect you to try and twist it back around into something it isn't, rather than simply see and acknowledge how far overboard it's gone in some places. Cause, that's what SJWs do rather than discuss the topic that is upsetting them.

Mmmmmhmmmmm. Absolutely. :thumleft:

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 9:09 pm

I am Heteronormative, Cis-gendered, all that!

I ain't checkin' no privilege at no door! Anyway....I'd have to search far and wide for any privilege to leave behind.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 3:06 am

wilburforce wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:
How is "hysterical flower" a sexist insult? Are you implying that the word "flower" must always refer to a female-identifying individual? Or that flowers are inherently feminine because they are delicate and pretty!? How DARE you!?!? Your heteronormative ideas serve only to reinforce the gender binary!! ! ! ! CHECK YOUR f*****g PRIVILEGE!! ! ! ! ! !!4$*! !&_!!&&!(((_&! ! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :skull: :cry: :cry:

Are you truly ignorant of the history of the term "hysteria"?--it was coined to specifically describe a woman who had temporarily gone mad because her womb had got loose inside her and was wandering around causing trouble. How is that NOT sexist, because of the derivation and the context of the discussion?

Do you know what a joke is? My whole point is you are trying very hard to make something look sexist that really isn't. Yes, I was vaguely aware of the history of the term, but that is no longer the common definition. I don't generally use outdated definitions for words.

For many third-wave feminists, hysterical is an extremely accurate word to use.

hysterical: 1. deriving from or affected by uncontrolled extreme emotion.

- Sherlock Holmes

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 6:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I am Heteronormative, Cis-gendered, all that!

I ain't checkin' no privilege at no door! Anyway....I'd have to search far and wide for any privilege to leave behind.

Most people are cisgendered and heterosexual, and there's nothing wrong with this. Assuming someone is cisgender and heterosexual is a pretty normal thing to do, because these things apply to most people. Now, some people get offended when you assume these things about them. Is this justified? I'm not sure, but since I can't read someone's mind to find out what their gender identity and sexuality are, I think people who merely happen to guess these things incorrectly should be given some slack. There's a difference between casually making these assumptions, and being downright discriminatory. Being discriminatory, IMO, basically means being like "I hate gay people" or "I hate trans people". Most people don't hate either of these groups, and I know I certainly don't. I try to be as tolerant and accomodating as I can, and realistically this is the best you can expect from people.

Life isn't politically correct, therefore being realistic often isn't politically correct. But being politically correct is different than being a proponent of social justice. I am a proponent of social justice, and a realist. I am however NOT a proponent of "political correctness" or its right wing equivalent "family values".

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 1:30 pm

Quote:
I read, "Yes, and that's not mansplaining" as a sarcastic comment which implied that my original response was just me "mansplaining". You were just saying what I described was not mansplaining. My bad.

Ok, no problem.

Quote:
I just think it's silly to have such a specific and basically pointless word. If I'm correct on what your definition is (I say that because I have heard various definitions), it means when a man condescendingly explains something to woman, because he is a sexist. Why can't you just say that what he is saying is sexist, or even simply call him a sexist? Just from a language standpoint that's kind of awkward, since it can only be used accurately in a very specific set of circumstances.

It's easier to use a single word than to explain a phenomenon every time it occurs.

Quote:
But also, I think it has a huge potential to be used in a way that just creates a ton more problems than it fixes. What is the point of the word? Why is it gender-specific? Women can also be sexist, so if a sexist woman condescendingly explains something to a man, should we call it womansplaining?

Sure, womansplaining probably also happens occasionally. Society, however, hasn't historically viewed men as an inferior, less intelligent, "hysterical" gender. That's why mansplaining happens much more often - often enough that a term has been created to describe it.

Quote:
It just seems like a really easy way to casually accuse someone of sexism and shut down a discussion, simply because you don't like or agree with what they are saying, or believe they are being rude. I've seen it used in such a way at least once, and I'm sure it's happened many more times than that.

It's no easier than just saying "you're sexist" or "you're rude". All terms can be abused.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 4:07 pm

L_Holmes wrote:
wilburforce wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:

Do you know what a joke is? My whole point is you are trying very hard to make something look sexist that really isn't. Yes, I was vaguely aware of the history of the term, but that is no longer the common definition. I don't generally use outdated definitions for words.

For many third-wave feminists, hysterical is an extremely accurate word to use.

hysterical: 1. deriving from or affected by uncontrolled extreme emotion.

Sure. OK. Cool.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 3:18 am

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:
I read, "Yes, and that's not mansplaining" as a sarcastic comment which implied that my original response was just me "mansplaining". You were just saying what I described was not mansplaining. My bad.

Ok, no problem.

Quote:
I just think it's silly to have such a specific and basically pointless word. If I'm correct on what your definition is (I say that because I have heard various definitions), it means when a man condescendingly explains something to woman, because he is a sexist. Why can't you just say that what he is saying is sexist, or even simply call him a sexist? Just from a language standpoint that's kind of awkward, since it can only be used accurately in a very specific set of circumstances.

It's easier to use a single word than to explain a phenomenon every time it occurs.

Quote:
But also, I think it has a huge potential to be used in a way that just creates a ton more problems than it fixes. What is the point of the word? Why is it gender-specific? Women can also be sexist, so if a sexist woman condescendingly explains something to a man, should we call it womansplaining?

Sure, womansplaining probably also happens occasionally. Society, however, hasn't historically viewed men as an inferior, less intelligent, "hysterical" gender. That's why mansplaining happens much more often - often enough that a term has been created to describe it.

Quote:
It just seems like a really easy way to casually accuse someone of sexism and shut down a discussion, simply because you don't like or agree with what they are saying, or believe they are being rude. I've seen it used in such a way at least once, and I'm sure it's happened many more times than that.

It's no easier than just saying "you're sexist" or "you're rude". All terms can be abused.

Agree to disagree I guess. I personally think it's sexist because it's a gendered word that specifically implies a man being sexist, and is used WAY too freely to describe any man who is being a bit condescending to a woman. And I don't believe that it happens very often. Maybe a little more, but it's not a widespread massive problem. Plenty of feminists think it applies to any such situation where a man is condescending to a woman, regardless of the intent behind it. That's silly. If a man is being sexist, it's obvious. There's no need for a silly word like mansplaining (or womansplaining), which is basically just an insult. It's a buzzword. It sounds like something I'd hear a little girl say to a little boy on the playground.

Maybe you don't think this, but plenty of third-wave feminists don't even believe a woman can be sexist. According to them, it's only sexism if one person has some kind of institutional power over the other. Already that's a BS definition, but they also conveniently ignore the fact that plenty of women do have institutional power in this country. Our next president is quite possibly going to be a woman. Will it be possible for women to be sexist then?

It's just immature. Rather than explain why a man is wrong in what he is saying or doing like a rational person, they just throw out this accusation of "mansplaining".

The way they toss these implications of sexism left and right at every little thing they think might possibly be sexist, it causes the word to lose its meaning. Now it's basically impossible to discern real sexism from someone who's just a douche, because to an SJW it's the same thing.

- Sherlock Holmes

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 10:10 am

I follow a few women/feminist oriented pages on Facebook, and I do see a lot of mansplaining. The page will post an article about something related to women (menstrual cups, for example) and almost inevitably a man will come along and post a lengthy, preachy response instructing all the women what they should be thinking/doing/feeling.
I think, really, the amount of mansplaining a person encounters depends quite a bit the types of media one uses, and also on one's gender. I don't think that men are incapable of recognizing when others are mansplaining, but since it doesn't affect them directly I think they are less likely to notice it.

Quote:
Maybe you don't think this, but plenty of third-wave feminists don't even believe a woman can be sexist. According to them, it's only sexism if one person has some kind of institutional power over the other. Already that's a BS definition, but they also conveniently ignore the fact that plenty of women do have institutional power in this country. Our next president is quite possibly going to be a woman. Will it be possible for women to be sexist then?

Of course women can be sexist. Minorities can also be racist. It doesn't matter who has institutional power, as racism/sexism/etc. originate in the mind. Anyone with a brain is capable of prejudice.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 10:26 am

why is "mainsplaining" any worse than "womansplaining"? :lol:

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 10:44 am

YippySkippy wrote:
I follow a few women/feminist oriented pages on Facebook, and I do see a lot of mansplaining. The page will post an article about something related to women (menstrual cups, for example) and almost inevitably a man will come along and post a lengthy, preachy response instructing all the women what they should be thinking/doing/feeling.
I think, really, the amount of mansplaining a person encounters depends quite a bit the types of media one uses, and also on one's gender. I don't think that men are incapable of recognizing when others are mansplaining, but since it doesn't affect them directly I think they are less likely to notice it.

Quote:

Of course women can be sexist. Minorities can also be racist. It doesn't matter who has institutional power, as racism/sexism/etc. originate in the mind. Anyone with a brain is capable of prejudice.

That makes sense. I just don't like that particular word is all, for the reasons I described.

To me the type of guy you described sounds like he's just an ignorant as*hole rather than somebody that is sexist, but I'm not a woman so I've never experienced or seen something like that personally. And I've certainly never seen a girl telling a guy how to wash his balls or something :lol:

- Sherlock Holmes

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 11:11 am

L_Holmes wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:

Quote:

That makes sense. I just don't like that particular word is all, for the reasons I described.

To me the type of guy you described sounds like he's just an ignorant as*hole rather than somebody that is sexist, but I'm not a woman so I've never experienced or seen something like that personally. And I've certainly never seen a girl telling a guy how to wash his balls or something :lol:

Being "sexist" and an "ignorant a$$hole" are not mutually exclusive.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 11:41 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:

Quote:

Being "sexist" and an "ignorant a$$hole" are not mutually exclusive.

All sexists are ignorant as*holes, but not all ignorant as*holes are sexists.

- Sherlock Holmes

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 6:10 pm

rdos wrote:
This is all strange. According to NT social rules, if you are nice to somebody you expect them to be nice in return.

That's the official version that they want you to believe in. But in fact, pretty much all NTs despise "pushovers" and admire "strong people".

Aaendi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2018, 4:50 pm

Old thread, but god, are SJWs stupid and arrogant. Why do SJWs keep believing that I am attracted to them, when I make it EXTREMELY CLEAR that I'm not interested in them at all!?

Even MALE SJWs think I want to have sex with them, and I'm not even gay!