Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 10:41 am

This is a bad habit of mine, although it makes me feel secure sometimes.
I often find myself following people around the house. If they get up and go into another room to do something, I have the urge to get up too and go where they're going. I can imagine how annoying it may be to the other person, but it's like an impulsive thing that I do.

Even when I try to focus myself on to something, I still want to follow. I have a short attention span - even on my own interests - so that might be partly why.

I feel just like a dog, following it's owner about. What is wrong with me? Do others with AS or ADHD do this?

E V Tooms
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jun 2016, 10:48 am

My brother, who has AS, sometimes mimics my every movement or follows me around very closely when we're out, and it can annoy the life out of me because I need my space! :D It's a comfort thing, I think, because he can feel very exposed outside.

It's only a temporary annoyance, though. We're great pals and I like having him around.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 2:29 pm

I do that a lot with my mother. She hates it, but I don't really realize I'm doing it.

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2016, 3:48 pm

I do this when I go to the store with someone. My mom will say, "you can go look around", but unless I need something specific I just follow her. I feel uncomfortable in the store by myself.
I also do this when I'm talking to someone, I think its probably annoying sometimes. A member of my family will be walking around doing things and I'll follow them around talking about stuff.
When I used to wake up in the morning for school I'd follow my mom around as she got ready. I'd tell her the dream I had and that would go into tangents so I just keep talking. I am not a morning person at all so the words coming out were more stream of consciousness and me getting thoughts out rather than having a conversation (that happens a lot). I think that was probably annoying because my brother does this to me and I find it hard to stay focused on what he's saying. But I try because I love him and I do the same thing to other people :P

"I do not wish to evade the world
Yet I will forever build my own" - Tuomas Holopainen

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 12:34 am

I do that sometimes when I'm out somewhere with someone. I remember when I was younger my dad would get really irritated when I would follow him around and other people would sometimes ask me why I was walking behind them. I don't think I do it as much now though.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 12:41 am

I did that when I was younger. I took turns following my mum and than my dad. I was 6 at the time. My dad told me to stop being such a pest. That put an end to that.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 6:43 am

I do this to my mom and my sister. But mostly my mom. I don't know why... :lol:

Not just in the house tho. :twisted: Could be anywhere. Even in their respective workplaces.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 5:00 pm

I will follow my mom or my sister around the house when we are talking (read: I am monologuing at them).

I will also follow people around when I am out in public places with them. I thought it was normal to do that in stores (i.e. to do the shopping together).

But, my mom has told me before to go socialize with other people when we are out at social events. I am just more comfortable socializing with, through, or near members of my immediate family.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 5:25 pm

I do that with my best friend at school. In middle school, she literally called me her pet dog because of it!

JanusOne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2016, 6:20 pm

greetings all,

OMG, i do this all the time! i never realized that there are others that have this happening to them as well. for me, even though i don't want to be social, people that i love or that are safe i tend to have this behavior.
thank you for sharing!

with peace,
JanusOne :D

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 8:10 pm

Yes I do this. I have the urge to do it with anyone I like or feel attached to, I don't always do it when I feel like it, sometimes I have to stop myself.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 12:36 am

My daughter does this with me. It does my head in sometimes because sometimes I just wanna wash the pots in peace or be on my own for five minutes but I just leave her to it because she's not doing any harm really.