Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 12:49 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
Anyway, we have noticed that Millennial parents don't just let their kids play. They're always jumping in with suggestions of HOW the kid should play. "Get up on the duck!" "Slide off of this!" "Why don't you run around like this [displays "how" to run around]"

They don't just let their kids play. How is anyone supposed to learn to think for themselves if they aren't even left alone to play? All I do is make sure my son doesn't run off or seriously hurt himself. I feed him and keep him clean, but I don't tell him what to do with his free time. If he wants to build his train tracks backward, or spend all of his time at the park looking at ants instead of using the equipment, how is that my business? If I "corrected" him, he wouldn't develop his own ideas and ways of working things out.

That would explain why all the young (under 25) people we bring on at work are universally like robots: they will literally do nothing all day unless continuously directed and if left on their own will just sit or stand in one spot with one exception: when it's payday they can't get up to the office fast enough! It's frightening how many in their 20s and even 30s have the abilities of a child and cannot function on their own because they were never allowed to think for themselves. I also saw something last night that utterly shocked me: children were out having a water balloon fight and NOBODY was directing them! You never see kids just out playing anymore unless it's on their %@#$ phones.

Yes, I am a 33 year old grumpy old man :lol:

maglevsky
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jul 2016, 10:03 am

Loving this thread.

I'll chip in about verbal abuse.
IMHO, straight-up insults or non-PC vocab is bad style but should not be sanctioned.
OTOH, guilt-tripping, blame-shifting and trying to be "even-handed" in situations where one party is clearly way out of order, should be unacceptable. Sadly my impression is that these things have become more socially acceptable over the last couple of decades or so.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2016, 10:18 am

I doubt that it was softball. It was early, 1880's baseball.

What we call being "at bat" was called "at the bat" in the early days. Hence: "Casey at the Bat."