Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BaneBear
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2016, 9:15 am

I love overwatch and can't wait for ranked to come out. I need some people to play both casual joking around and serious practice and perhaps join me in a ranked team when it comes out.
Character list for overwatch:
Offense-
Main: Reaper(Reaper is my overall main character, I love playing him and do consistently well with him)
Pretty good: Pharah, soldier 76(Pharah and soldier 76 are when I don't play a flanker, pharah is more preferential)
Decent: Tracer, genji(Genji is on two of these because its inconsistent when I do good with him, tracer I am decent with)
Not good: Mcree, genji(My aim is bad with mcree)

Defense-
Main: Bastion, junkrat(Bastion more than junkrat but junkrats good for when they have a clustered team)
Pretty good: Torbjorn(Good with him but he does not interest me)
Decent: Mei, Hanzo(Hanzo I am practicing more and more, but it can be inconsistent and difficult, mei is boring and annoying)
Not good: Widowmaker, hanzo(As said hanzo inconsistent along with widow because of high aiming difficulty)

Tank-
Main: Roadhog(Second overall main, Love playing roadhog and reaper, consistently do well with him)
Pretty good: Reinhardt, Winston(Don't play them often when tanking but I can when needed)
Decent: DVA(Almost never play her, find her boring but still do alright)
Not good: Zarya(Don't like playing her, need more practice due to higher skillcap)

Support-
Main: Mercy, Lucio(Don't often play support but I can with these two)
Pretty good: Symmetra, zenyatta(Both I am good with, prefer mercy and lucio though)

BaneBear
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2016, 9:22 am

Oh and I have a very dark and stupid sense of humor, so sensitive too serious people will not enjoy playing with me

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 7:12 pm

okay ill sort of copy what you did with the mains thing:

offense:
main- Genji, im fairly good but do need some more practice, good at using Genji to hard counter characters like Bastion, Mccree, Genji himself (the enemy teams Genji) and soldier 76.

defence:
main: Zarya, if your a tank, im your new best friend, a secondary tank Zarya can shield you and help you tank more while also tanking damage herself, she is also able to set up for your ultimate, get um all nice and bunched together unable to move for you
secondary option: roadhog, im really good at shutting enemy players ults down with him so could be a vital counter.

tank:
Main: Winston, good at getting in their face, flanking them and generally being annoying to the enemy team, even getting a few kills in, also able to cover positions like bastion with the dome shield and able to ult to keep enemies off bastion and Torbjorn.

Support: Lucio, my team almost always win when i play lucio, i survive forever and heal the team very well, im also good at using his ultimate to shield the team from enemy teams ultimates.

secondary option: Zenyatta, good for weakening tanks and pushing

so yeah, i dont have any friends that play overwatch either haha (but then again, i only have one friend)

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 7:16 pm

BaneBear wrote:
Oh and I have a very dark and stupid sense of humor, so sensitive too serious people will not enjoy playing with me

yeah i have a weird sense of humor too, but mines more hyper and random then dark (but im okay with dark..ish)

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 8:22 am

Eh, I may as well offer my own.

A bit about me: I'm used to competitve games, having played 8 squillion fighting games, but I tend to play Overwatch in a more casual manner; something I learned with fighting games is that the "competitive" side of things can be... unpleasant. And generally not fun. Even despite the fact that I won most of the time, it wasnt really a good time. Bloody amazing, really, how angry people could get. With a team game, it's much, much worse. So yeah, I tend to play this in a "here to enjoy a challenge" sort of way. I will always try to win and will always play my role rather than go after kills, but that's still how I approach it.

My playstyle: I'm hyper-aggressive and have absolutely zero patience. Strategy? Not good with it. I'm more of a "CHAAAAAARGE!! !" sort of player, and I often describe my playstyle in many games as a sort of "berserker" style. My main trait is my speed, in that I react abnormally fast and can mentally process a huge number of things at once; most games may as well be in slow-mo to me, which is part of why I came to this one, as I've not spent too much time with FPS games, so I figured this would be much harder since it's so different from everything I'm used to. The problem though is that I"m not just joking around about the "berserker" thing; the more incensed I get, the faster I'll be able to move/think, but the more berserk and out of control I'll get. In a full rage state, which thankfully is very rare, I'll just attack pretty much everything. In fighting games this works out; I've never lost in that state because I get more than a bit overwhelming, and since there's only one thing to attack, well, all that is focused on one target. But in this? That's not going to help too much, nope... doesnt work for team games. In this game if I start to get a bit heated I often just switch heroes, to a more passive role like that of Mercy, allowing me to calm down.

Oddly though, I tend to be better on defense than offense in this game. Probably due to the whole "lack of strategy" thing, where I'm never sure how to approach a target. But DEFENDING a target is different; just kill any hostile that comes close, right? Much easier...

I'm still pretty new to this game though, so it's best not to expect all that much yet, if I should end up playing with anyone here.

Now for characters:

Offense:

Soldier 76, he works well with my general impatience since he can dash whenever he wants to, and he's got a good "all-around" style to him, and even has that healing beacon.

McCree, for whatever reason I've tended to do pretty well with him so far... despite that the infamous "combo" of his actually didnt occur to me. Not that it's all that big a deal now, I hear they nerfed it, which is fine by me, I dont like using overpowered tricks in competitive games.

Pharah, she leaps all over the place and launches rockets. She seems very good at distraction and dealing with some of the characters that irritate me alot.

Defense:

So far, mostly just Junkrat for this role. I like his entire moveset, and he just sorta clicked with me right away. I've found him very effective. Lots of explosions, lots of damage, often easy to hold a position with him.

It's worth noting that Hanzo, Torbjorn, and Widowmaker are on my "I absolutely refuse to use them" list. Torbjorn is... boring... and as for the other two? They're basically snipers (well, for Hanzo, that's how I've seen him played, anyway). I dont snipe. Period. Trust me, it doesnt end well.

Tank:

D.Va, she's my favorite character, so I try to use her alot. A tank that's built to charge at stuff? Yep, sign me up. A large portion of her function seems to be to distract, irritate, and draw fire; I'm good at these things. That and getting close to shove those blasters of hers up the enemy's nose. Not too fond of her ultimate though.

Roadhog, his playstyle overall is pretty entertaining, and that chain of his can be devastating. I find him a little hard to use at times, but I'll get better.

Reinhardt is the one I really dont use. He's too slow, and my attention wanders. Too much of the shield holding, not enough of the doing things.

Support:

Mostly Mercy, so far. I like her very direct approach to healing and buffing and such. Symmetra is the one I dont really use; again, lack of being very strategic, so I wouldnt really know what to do with her.

So there, that's that.

Now, for the golden question: Er... which version of the game are you actually even talking about? This is all well and good, but it's not worth much if it turns out that everyone here is playing a different version of the game. I'm on the PC version, myself. I may get the PS4 one later, for the heck of it, but I'll be much weaker with a controller for an FPS.

BaneBear
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2016, 3:07 pm

PC, and I like your playstyle, I tend to need people to draw attention since I play reaper, pharah, and tracer the most. All are characters that need attention draw away from them

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 5:23 pm

Im also on PC!

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 5:10 am

BaneBear wrote:
PC, and I like your playstyle, I tend to need people to draw attention since I play reaper, pharah, and tracer the most. All are characters that need attention draw away from them

The problem for me is that my playstyle *really* only works on defense in games like this. When forced to attack objectives? No bloody clue what to do. Which is fairly typical for me. I can deal with situations where the enemy is forced to come to me. I dont know how to approach stationed foes, though.

Like, having a go at the game just a bit ago here... on defense, things went well. Alot of D.Va, alot of Junkrat, alot of maniacal cackling and a lack of dying. And sometimes I'd switch to the various other heroes that I'm currently somewhat familiar with. But when attacking... hoboy. The only thing I know how to do is leap up and spam rockets with Pharah. Any other tactic? No bloody clue. I try things, they dont seem to work. Particularly if bloody Torbjorn is around (the one hero I wish wasnt in the game). Without Rhinehart around, I dont know what to do about turrets. Same with Bastion, but at least when Bastion's "turret" goes down, HE goes down. When Torb's bloody things go down, well... what does he care? Just drop another... Or at least that's how it seems, anyway. I am aware that Junkrat is supposedly good at taking out the turrets, but I usually find that getting into position to hit them at all is... very hard. Worse if both Torb AND another Junkrat are working together. That one happened on my last match today, where we just couldnt get the second objective on that ice map. Torb had a turret. He stood in literally the same little alcove the entire time. Everyone knew where the bloody turret was, but... nobody could do anything about it. Two Junkrats on the other team just spammed grenades into every bloody spot; I couldnt find an area that wouldnt randomly fill with grenades at any time. Rhinehart's shield doesnt work very well against those (which is one reason why I like Junkrat so much). D.Va's shield seems to work against a great many things, but it just doesnt stay up long enough and takes awhile to recharge, and she cant fire during it. My usual "charge at enemy and shove blasters up their nose" style doesnt work in that situation.

Granted, this situation in that last match might have been different if my team had gone in all at once, but... nobody else seemed to know what to do about the grenade swarm either.

So yeah, much I dont know yet, and thus, currently mostly useless on offense; best I can do is run back and forth with Mercy. Which can be useful, sure, and I'll certainly do that sometimes, but I'd like to be capable of other roles on offense though, not just healing and such. Particularly if the team already has someone playing the support role.

I will say though, I'm glad I'm not playing on console right now. From what I hear, Torbjorn is everywhere on there (though I dont understand why, he's NOT in every bloody team on PC). That... would get on my nerves. My friends that play the console version have complained about him quite a bit, for that matter.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 4:37 am

Okay, so, I'll add Mei to my list of characters I'll play as alot. Rather fits my style actually, since she's most deadly when close enough to hit with that nasty freeze ray. The ability to drop back and heal really fast is VERY useful. I didnt expect to enjoy using her, but she's really fun. Best thing to do: Get behind Rhinehart, and freeze him... and then just watch teammates tear him up. That doesnt get old.

D.Va still completely outdoes any of my other characters though in terms of how well I can use her, it's not even a contest. I dont exactly die much when using her, and she's the one most likely to get long kill streaks. I still havent the foggiest damn clue what to do with that ultimate half the time, aside from forcing enemy players to clear out of an objective zone for a bit. It'd be easier to use if it didnt blow her up too by getting caught in the blast. I know everyone says she needs a buff, but I dunno, she seriously seems fine to me.

Junkrat is still good too, and his weapon is probably the one that I also just consider the most fun to use.

Getting to really like Soldier 76 alot too. Very... versatile, I like that. He's probably my third favorite right now.

Next time I play I'll give Zenyatta a proper go.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 5:55 pm

id add that my technically best characters are Pharah and Lucio, as lucio i can keep a team alive and myself, i generally have a high win percentage with lucio, Pharah i can actually aim with and do rather well with, ive gotten myself out of many holes with her, nothing solves being spawn camped as well as a rocket to the face, my only flaw is i never think to use her E ability, which would be great for some kills on the trollish scale.

my battletag is: Locktock#2620 if you think im good enough :)

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 7:31 am

If anyone wants to play with someone on Australian servers I'm up for it. I play a lot of solo competitive, sometimes with others depending on if people are online. I mostly play as Reinhardt and Mercy in competitive, if only because I think they're essential picks for many objective types, but I love playing as Pharah, Soldier: 76, Reaper, Tracer, Mei, Junkrat, Zarya and Lucio. Just don't ask me to play as Widowmaker or Genji; I find them difficult to play, have barely played as them and probably won't contribute much as them.

PM me if you would like my battletag.

BaneBear
Raven
Raven

11 Jul 2016, 8:32 am

Hey everyone, when I get outta work today I will start adding people. An update to my char list, I have improved my aim so my mcree and hanzo are better. S76 is one of my mains now, along with my newfound love of zarya.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 1:28 pm

I haven't played video games in like 3-4 years (last game I even touched was the Assassin's Creed set in the Revolutionary War). That said I rebuilt my computer back in February and a few days ago thought I'd give Overwatch a go to check out the hardware. I was big into Warcraft way back when, mostly pvp/arena, so I thought this would be a game to check out. While I've never been big on shooters, I do like the class structure Blizz set up in this game to break up the monotony of the shooter genre. I'd actually like about 2-3 more abilities per character to really flesh out the roles and differences, but alas it would be Warcraft with a gun-- complete with all the balancing issues that come with variation.

My main problem with the game has nothing to do with the devs, but stupid people:
"Hmm, I'm playing Hanzo, and my role is to do damage, so I should just go in the middle of the room so everyone sees what a good job I'm doing!"

or

"Oh that dude on my team with the big shield that keeps just pushing into the room and the other team retreats, I should go stand IN FRONT of his shield cause that just sounds smart."

and my favorite

"Oh that tank character really seems to absorb damage well and draw attention. I'd heal him, but this DPSer that gets two shot is a little low and he's standing in the great wide open so I should focus on him instead..."

Obviously those things will go away as I level (I hope), but it's been annoying as s**t playing with people that don't understand simple group tactics and what their role is in the group. I haven't played games in almost a half decade, yet I do very well in this one: it doesn't take skill, you just gotta know what the objectives are, and they aren't kill count, damage done, etc. All those stats Blizz throws out at end match (seemingly across all their games) are not the objective, winning is-- now if only people would start to understand that.

Being mainly a tank in Warcraft, my favorite character in this one is Reinhardt. I love popping up that big shield, getting my team behind me, and just pushing and pushing towards an objective. The key is charging at the right time, the goal is to use it right before the shield is burned, pinning a few players against a wall, and then popping the shield back up (should be recharging as you charge) and backstep (you'll be behind them now). As you backtrack they will attack you and your team will tear them apart because they're now pincered. @Misery, it's not the most active play style for sure, but it can be one of the most effective.

Yeah that was a rant of sorts, not on topic, but this was the most recent thread on the game so I decided to throw my 2 cents in here as opposed to making a whole new one.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 8:39 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
I haven't played video games in like 3-4 years (last game I even touched was the Assassin's Creed set in the Revolutionary War). That said I rebuilt my computer back in February and a few days ago thought I'd give Overwatch a go to check out the hardware. I was big into Warcraft way back when, mostly pvp/arena, so I thought this would be a game to check out. While I've never been big on shooters, I do like the class structure Blizz set up in this game to break up the monotony of the shooter genre. I'd actually like about 2-3 more abilities per character to really flesh out the roles and differences, but alas it would be Warcraft with a gun-- complete with all the balancing issues that come with variation.

My main problem with the game has nothing to do with the devs, but stupid people:
"Hmm, I'm playing Hanzo, and my role is to do damage, so I should just go in the middle of the room so everyone sees what a good job I'm doing!"

or

"Oh that dude on my team with the big shield that keeps just pushing into the room and the other team retreats, I should go stand IN FRONT of his shield cause that just sounds smart."

and my favorite

"Oh that tank character really seems to absorb damage well and draw attention. I'd heal him, but this DPSer that gets two shot is a little low and he's standing in the great wide open so I should focus on him instead..."

Obviously those things will go away as I level (I hope), but it's been annoying as s**t playing with people that don't understand simple group tactics and what their role is in the group. I haven't played games in almost a half decade, yet I do very well in this one: it doesn't take skill, you just gotta know what the objectives are, and they aren't kill count, damage done, etc. All those stats Blizz throws out at end match (seemingly across all their games) are not the objective, winning is-- now if only people would start to understand that.

Being mainly a tank in Warcraft, my favorite character in this one is Reinhardt. I love popping up that big shield, getting my team behind me, and just pushing and pushing towards an objective. The key is charging at the right time, the goal is to use it right before the shield is burned, pinning a few players against a wall, and then popping the shield back up (should be recharging as you charge) and backstep (you'll be behind them now). As you backtrack they will attack you and your team will tear them apart because they're now pincered. @Misery, it's not the most active play style for sure, but it can be one of the most effective.

Yeah that was a rant of sorts, not on topic, but this was the most recent thread on the game so I decided to throw my 2 cents in here as opposed to making a whole new one.

You'll find better matches as you go up against better players.

The only reason why the game might not seem to take skill where you are right now is because you seem to be playing it with idiots. There's no game out there that feels like it takes skill when everyone else in the match is a moron....

When you actually get smart people on both teams though? THEN it gets pretty intense, and either you know what you're doing, or you'll die alot.

In other words... pretty typical of a team-based game, heh.

That being said, expect people to "not play the objective" pretty often. Idiots always think that kills are what counts. It's even worse in mobas than it is here, but here it's still pretty bad.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2016, 6:18 pm

Aristophanes wrote:

or

and my favorite

oooh yeah ive seen those ones in overwatch, i play mercy most of the time so this kills me when i see it, i can add my own one here: "hmm mercy is keeping us all alive, better not protect her, infact ill just push further ahead then anyone else so that mercy has to jump into a hail of bullets to get to me, yes this works"

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2016, 7:44 pm

randomeu wrote:
oooh yeah ive seen those ones in overwatch, i play mercy most of the time so this kills me when i see it, i can add my own one here: "hmm mercy is keeping us all alive, better not protect her, infact ill just push further ahead then anyone else so that mercy has to jump into a hail of bullets to get to me, yes this works"

Yeah, pretty much.

Whenever I'm playing support, I just make the automatic assumption that teammates are not going to protect me, so I need to be good at dodging bad situations and preventing enemies from getting a bead on me in the first place.

Luckily with Mercy her flight thing lets her get around really easily. And Lucio can get around even easier (since he doesnt need a target like Mercy does in order to use his movement ability, the wall-running thing).

One other thing that always annoys me in games like this though: people not understanding what tanks are for. See it all the time, players that think that tanks should be running around getting kills like the offensive characters do. Not how it works! With D.Va, the way I do it is basically to be as irritating and distracting as conceivably possible, getting enemies to fire at ME rather than fire at my teammates. Or, I can dive in front of a teammate that's being attacked, and activate Defense Matrix to absorb some shots for them in a very Rhinehart-ish fashion, while they fire away at the enemy. Yes, D.Va can get kills well enough, and so can Roadhog (who I also use) and the others, but it's not REALLY what their main role is.

One good thing though is Rhinehart himself: He's SO completely geared towards the "absorb damage, protect team" role that it's really, REALLY stupidly obvious even to dense players that this is exactly what he should be doing. He's the least likely to be used incorrectly. The others though... ugh. I often just do the tanking myself (which is fine, I like that role) because I know other players are likely to just go the "GOTTA GET TEH KILLS" route.