Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

v78d6s4nf8234
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2016, 4:22 am

Can people with mental disorders(not just aspies and autistics) maintain a society and a country? If there is a country and a society with only people with mental disorders will it be possible for people with mental disorders to maintain the society and country or do we lack the necessary skills to run a society and country?

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 1:52 pm

yes. They already are.
Societies are a composite of the people and their connections. They organize and order themselves aiming to suit the interests of the populace, and will end up trending toward the creation of conditions which help nurture their talents and mitigate their challenges. Overtime the cultural integration can render these matters largely invisible and established under a sense of what a normal human being is.
That's what happened with the Doxist (Nuerotypical) dominated societies in our world. They aren't built by people without mental conditions. They are build by people with mental conditions, for which the dominate elements formed societies to suite their interests and created the illusion of their normality.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 1:57 pm

Are you seriously ? Society is since long ago already run by a bunch of mental-lunatics. Try picturing that most of controlled society is actually controlled by various forms of fraternities to see some reality.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 2:03 pm

v78d6s4nf8234 wrote:
Can people with mental disorders(not just aspies and autistics) maintain a society and a country?

Well, there's always any western nation, most people there are infected with the Wendigo. That's the thing with a lot of modern "mental disorders"-- if the majority of the population suffers from them, it's not a disorder, it's just "how we do business".

TallSmartBrooding
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Aug 2016, 1:32 pm

v78d6s4nf8234 wrote:
Can people with mental disorders(not just aspies and autistics) maintain a society and a country? If there is a country and a society with only people with mental disorders will it be possible for people with mental disorders to maintain the society and country or do we lack the necessary skills to run a society and country?

Well, as others have stated it can be argued they already do. You need to break it down further. If you took just all those with ASD and put them together could they maintain a society? Sure, would it be a mess, yep. Would it be worse than what we have now, no idea. Now it you talk about all mental disorders you get in some very dangerous waters. I would say, no. Remember that in most countries the majority of the protection provided to the population is done by the NT. If you remove that population what would replace it? Think about a society made up by sociopaths, psychopaths, pedophiles, ASD, BPD, Bi-Polar, the whole host of those with mental disorders with out any NT to balance it out, I do not think it would work.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 2:30 pm

v78d6s4nf8234 wrote:

Are you internalizing the argument, often used against offline instititions, that we are somehow inferior or ill?

v78d6s4nf8234
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2016, 6:27 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
v78d6s4nf8234 wrote:

Are you internalizing the argument, often used against offline instititions, that we are somehow inferior or ill?

No I do not think people with mental disorders are inferior or ill. I believe non-neurotypicals are able to run a society but are too scattered and divided to create one. There may be a few neurodiverse communities around the world but most of them promote integration into neurotypical society rather creating a safe place of refuge for non-neurotypicals.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 6:37 pm

I don't really see the point even if it would work, but I don't really see it working anyways.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 10:20 am

v78d6s4nf8234 wrote:
No I do not think people with mental disorders are inferior or ill. I believe non-neurotypicals are able to run a society but are too scattered and divided to create one. There may be a few neurodiverse communities around the world but most of them promote integration into neurotypical society rather creating a safe place of refuge for non-neurotypicals.

One of the issues with this particular line of discussion is that "non-neurotypical" covers an immense amount of ground, and is more of a "negative" argument, in that it's not arguing from what someone/something is, but what it is not. Which works quite well for forming a distinct negative identification test (That person isn't NT), but is much harder to build a coherent organization around (Everyone who isn't NT is a member). There is no authoritative determination of who's on the spectrum, and there are those who would argue, particularly on the "mental disorders" concept, for an extremely broad definition of "not NT".

You are absolutely correct on the scattered and divided part. It's one of the reasons why a "positive" identity has not been formed yet, through there are more than a few people working on that side of things at the moment, but that's not a discussion for this public forum.

OnionFighter
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Aug 2016, 11:47 am

Sociopathy is a mental disorder and practically every government of every nation in history has been sociopathic, so I'd say yes.