Page 3 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 12:54 am

VertoSignum wrote:
Everyone has different experiences. Maybe what is concerning you is that you are comparing your life to everyone elses; but you aren't everyone else so it is unrealistic to have expectations for yourself through the eyes of other people. "Most people" do the "normal" thing that is expected, they play the roles and reach the 'milestones' and still maintain their miserable attitude. By focusing on what you think you have missed out on you are missing out on taking time to find out what goals you have. "The master has failed more times than the beginner has ever tried."

The same kind of people are always jumping down my throat and insisting their way is the right way despite how unhappy they are but if I say anything, I have a fight on my hands.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2016, 10:46 pm

Some people don't figure things out until their 50's.
I'm just finally sorting myself out now - late thirties.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 10:46 pm

AngryAngryAngry wrote:

and some unfortunates never can figure things out.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 12:44 pm

AngryAngryAngry wrote:

I don't think I can wait for that long. It feels like others have the freedom of choice while I have to give up my individuality or I'll continue being isolated. They are having fun while I have to either put certain things on hold or give up because I am considered a malfunction.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 1:10 pm

auntblabby wrote:
AngryAngryAngry wrote:

I certainly can't. It feels like you have to be a complely selfish and judgmental as*hole to get anywhere you want to be in this life.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 3:23 pm

Marknis wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
AngryAngryAngry wrote:

I certainly can't. It feels like you have to be a complely selfish and judgmental as*hole to get anywhere you want to be in this life.

yes- on earth, to L>I>V>E is to be E<V<I<L. [use a mirror to see what I mean]

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 12:41 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Marknis wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
AngryAngryAngry wrote:

yes- on earth, to L>I>V>E is to be E<V<I<L. [use a mirror to see what I mean]

My biggest struggle according to my therapist is extreme thinking. I am always thinking things like "I am (insert age) but I still live with my mother, I don't have a girlfriend, I am only working part time, I didn't graduate college, I can't make any new friends no matter what I do, I can't excel at my interests, etc." and those thoughts have plagued me for years.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 4:24 pm

Marknis wrote:
My biggest struggle according to my therapist is extreme thinking. I am always thinking things like "I am (insert age) but I still live with my mother, I don't have a girlfriend, I am only working part time, I didn't graduate college, I can't make any new friends no matter what I do, I can't excel at my interests, etc." and those thoughts have plagued me for years.

shades of gray thinking is one of the toughest things to instill in oneself. you are young so don't beat yourself up over this, it is a journey and not a destination, to learn to add nuance to one's cognition.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 9:19 pm

auntblabby wrote:
shades of gray thinking is one of the toughest things to instill in oneself. you are young so don't beat yourself up over this, it is a journey and not a destination, to learn to add nuance to one's cognition.

It's the result of the culture I grew up/am still trapped in. Something is either "Christian" or "Satanic" to many people around here. I was hit over the head with those ideals more than I can count.

Viewing life as a journey rather than a game is something I wish I was told in my developmental years.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 9:34 pm

Marknis wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

It's the result of the culture I grew up/am still trapped in. Something is either "Christian" or "Satanic" to many people around here. I was hit over the head with those ideals more than I can count.

Viewing life as a journey rather than a game is something I wish I was told in my developmental years.

it's not too late, mon frere :)

bluevector
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Oct 2016, 8:22 am

I'm 36,
I still don't have all my ducks in their rows, my sheep are out eating daisies and I'm still looking at the clouds wondering if that one really is a dragon or a worm with a hump!
yet somewhere along the way I managed to have three boys, adopt a menagerie of mad animals and collect all the star trek dvds, Sometimes as hard as it sounds life will just HAPPEN and there is nout you can do or say about it, one day you might wake up old and grey and wonder what the heck just happened, but that's ok too. my mother in law is in her 70s just realized what's been up with her all these years (ASD) and just said 'well that explains a lot' and started laughing about all the weird stuff that she had done. It really is never to late :)

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 10:22 am

A huge percentage of NT young adults are underemployed and still living with their parents because of the current state of the economy. If you're missing milestones, so are about one third of your generational cohort--you won't look any worse than they do.

I grew up in a small Texas town around evangelicals, too. Things got a heck of a lot better once I got to Austin, but even out in the sticks there are places to encounter like minded people. Check the website for your local library and see if there are any book groups or club meetings you might attend. Take a continuing education class at your county community college about one of your special interests. Join the progressive political party of your choice and take part in their campaigning activities. None of those things could be even remotely considered "Satanic", just good citizenship! Your family will be glad to see you involved, and you will be glad to be out of the house and away from them for a while. And there is a chance you will meet and talk to girls that way.

Plan trips for yourself to more urban areas; you can take a bus or rideshare and stay in a youth hostel near a college campus to save money, and find free stuff to do on "Time Out" magazine's website or the local free weekly newspaper. You can even just walk around neighborhoods and imagine what it would be like to live there. Again, it gets you away from your family and gives you hope for the future, and there's no reason a harmless weekend trip to the city should be considered "Satanic".

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 4:04 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
A huge percentage of NT young adults are underemployed and still living with their parents because of the current state of the economy. If you're missing milestones, so are about one third of your generational cohort--you won't look any worse than they do.

I grew up in a small Texas town around evangelicals, too. Things got a heck of a lot better once I got to Austin, but even out in the sticks there are places to encounter like minded people. Check the website for your local library and see if there are any book groups or club meetings you might attend. Take a continuing education class at your county community college about one of your special interests. Join the progressive political party of your choice and take part in their campaigning activities. None of those things could be even remotely considered "Satanic", just good citizenship! Your family will be glad to see you involved, and you will be glad to be out of the house and away from them for a while. And there is a chance you will meet and talk to girls that way.

Plan trips for yourself to more urban areas; you can take a bus or rideshare and stay in a youth hostel near a college campus to save money, and find free stuff to do on "Time Out" magazine's website or the local free weekly newspaper. You can even just walk around neighborhoods and imagine what it would be like to live there. Again, it gets you away from your family and gives you hope for the future, and there's no reason a harmless weekend trip to the city should be considered "Satanic".

I actually live in the city and I work at the public library. The city is very shallow in terms of socializing, just crummy dive bars, handegg (American football) fields, and churches. There are no book clubs and there were no interesting clubs at the community college in the area. My family freaks out about everything I do and think I need to "get right with God".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 5:13 pm

in terms of missed milestones, I feel as though I missed the news that there was a race, and by the time I got to the track it had long ago been paved over into a parking lot and nobody remembered the race.

AnodyneInsect
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Oct 2016, 9:12 pm

I can identify with this. I didn't have friends until after highschool but they never stayed long. I knew what I liked doing but there is no steady work or pay for the things I do. I didn't have a car, a house, or children like my peers. It took a long while for me to find a person for a good relationship and really understand what to do for my course of study. I wasn't diagnosed till way late so there was a lot of pressure from my parents wanting me to be normal like my younger sisters who did go to proms, socialized, knew right away what they wanted in college and were able to take a full class load, get married, have children, successful careers, nice houses and cars. Each year I worried about how my family saw me as a loser who just couldn't get my life together. Right now I am taking one college class at a time and my nieces and nephew are in highschool and I know I will not be finished my degree before they go to college.

What I have learned over all this time is, as horrible as it seems, you can only push on at your pace and not to insult yourself about it. I do not know what your resources are, if you have access to a college advisor that can help you explore what you really want to go for. I can only tell you whether it is online, college or no, you are a real valuable person and do not let anyone bring you down.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 10:35 pm

AnodyneInsect wrote:
I can identify with this. I didn't have friends until after highschool but they never stayed long. I knew what I liked doing but there is no steady work or pay for the things I do. I didn't have a car, a house, or children like my peers. It took a long while for me to find a person for a good relationship and really understand what to do for my course of study. I wasn't diagnosed till way late so there was a lot of pressure from my parents wanting me to be normal like my younger sisters who did go to proms, socialized, knew right away what they wanted in college and were able to take a full class load, get married, have children, successful careers, nice houses and cars. Each year I worried about how my family saw me as a loser who just couldn't get my life together. Right now I am taking one college class at a time and my nieces and nephew are in highschool and I know I will not be finished my degree before they go to college.

What I have learned over all this time is, as horrible as it seems, you can only push on at your pace and not to insult yourself about it. I do not know what your resources are, if you have access to a college advisor that can help you explore what you really want to go for. I can only tell you whether it is online, college or no, you are a real valuable person and do not let anyone bring you down.

I am not in college at the moment and even when I was in college, the advisors didn't know what to do with me. I don't fit in anywhere. I'm always going home alone while so many other guys my age are enjoying living their dreams and dating or enjoying their time with their wives every night.