05 Jul 2016, 4:53 pm

Lets see how many gets this stuck in their head... :D

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 7:24 pm

somanyspoons wrote:
Dennis Prichard wrote:
Can you have echolalia as a high functioning adult? I'm constantly repeating sentences in my head from movies and other media that I listen to. Is it 'echolalia'? or is it just my own thing.

I think this is a mild form of echolalia - the primary difference being that its not so visible to other people. I do this with TV scripts. Its only when I'm around other trekkies that they catch on. They think I'm being cute. No actually, I just think in Star Trek. That an other shows from my childhood were how I constructed my way of interacting with the world. But I let them think that its just cute. And honestly, I'm not the only one. I think this is more common than you would think.

One of the things I've come to learn about myself is that I'm not so different from "low functioning" people. I would like to separate myself from them because other people see these people as weird, and I want to be held in high esteem. But its an illusion. We're very similar. I just have better hiding skills. The real solution then is to hold people who are seen as just weird in higher esteem. That way, we don' have to make these artificial distinctions.

I have TV-oriented echolalia as well, which also includes a lot of Star Trek. If someone says something that reminds me of an episode, I'll pull out a relevant line, or if a piece of ST dialogue will fit nicely where a response to someone's words should go, I'll use it instead of coming up with something of my own to say. I do this a lot with Peanuts and The Big Bang Theory as well, but I almost never repeat the words of those around me, either immediately or after the fact.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 7:40 pm

somanyspoons wrote:
You're "reflecting" back to them what they've heard. Done right, this is a great social skill. Done poorly it just makes you look like a douche.

How would one do it poorly?

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jul 2016, 7:51 pm

I'm usually able to stop myself from verbally echoing others or mimicking their behaviours (or so I think I can). But not in my head.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 9:58 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
somanyspoons wrote:
You're "reflecting" back to them what they've heard. Done right, this is a great social skill. Done poorly it just makes you look like a douche.

How would one do it poorly?

Using any tone of voice or body language that indicates you are mocking them would make it done poorly. Doing mirroring well can be a way of indicating that you've heard someone. So, if I wanted to mirror what you just said, I would use a calm tone of voice, neutral/relaxed body language, and I would say, "You want to know how one could do it poorly?" And then I would answer. If I was being a douch, I would snicker, lift my lip into a smirk, exaggerate the intonations, and elongate my vowels as I said the same thing. "How would one do it poorly?" The intent in the later example is to show the other person how ridiculous they are. The intent in the first example is to show them you are listening and give you a minute to process the question before you answer.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 4:40 pm

OK, then I'm fairly safe from doing that. Nearest I've got to it is a little exasperation in my tone when somebody has been very palpably unclear. What's that thing called when somebody repeats something back (or says something they anticipate somebody will say) in an outrageously stupid accent? I've done that, but never to anybody's face. Mostly I do it in anticipation of a disappointing response from doctors, benefits officials, and bureaucrats in general to requests for help, it's just a way of venting. It was done to me once, but the guy concerned was very drunk and depressed, and he apologised the following day.