Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dennis Prichard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jul 2016, 9:51 pm

Can you have echolalia as a high functioning adult? I'm constantly repeating sentences in my head from movies and other media that I listen to. Is it 'echolalia'? or is it just my own thing.

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 11:33 pm

uh, maybe? I quote TV shows and movies too (and did so as a kid too). I am prone to going nonverbal if I am very upset or excited, and can struggle to find words if I am even just a little nervous. When I'm in a nonverbal episode, I can repeat back words that I've just heard, but can't remember the words for things on my own. I worked this out with my wife, who now knows to ask me yes/no questions if I look like I've gone nonverbal or are struggling. I've also been told I'm a very good mimic for non-human sounds like sound effects or animal noises (which is entertaining at parties) and I have perfect pitch. I think these are all related.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 12:55 am

It certainly can exist. I had echolalic speech as a young kid and today I have moments where I catch myself either repeating what I said or what someone else said.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 2:05 am

I do this with pleasantries and it drives me crazy. Probably because I know a response is required quickly and I haven't had time to think. It makes me sound like a moron - someone will routinely say "hi how are you today?" And I'll literally repeat "hi how are you today?" Back to them.
Grr.
I also do the thing you describe and repeat the same sentence or groups of words over and over, but manage to do that in my head.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 6:52 am

I only occasionally make use of glossolalia as an high functioning autie.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 6:58 am

Yep...I sometimes sound stupid when I speak according to a "script."

Sometimes, I repeat what somebody else has said--though I speak low enough for that person not to hear the "echo."

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 9:15 am

Dennis Prichard wrote:
Can you have echolalia as a high functioning adult? I'm constantly repeating sentences in my head from movies and other media that I listen to. Is it 'echolalia'? or is it just my own thing.

I think this is a mild form of echolalia - the primary difference being that its not so visible to other people. I do this with TV scripts. Its only when I'm around other trekkies that they catch on. They think I'm being cute. No actually, I just think in Star Trek. That an other shows from my childhood were how I constructed my way of interacting with the world. But I let them think that its just cute. And honestly, I'm not the only one. I think this is more common than you would think.

One of the things I've come to learn about myself is that I'm not so different from "low functioning" people. I would like to separate myself from them because other people see these people as weird, and I want to be held in high esteem. But its an illusion. We're very similar. I just have better hiding skills. The real solution then is to hold people who are seen as just weird in higher esteem. That way, we don' have to make these artificial distinctions.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 9:22 am

Dennis Prichard wrote:

Maby. Or it can be comorbid OCD.

Only adult i've seen with echolallia was a guy i saw around 30'ish maby 20 years ago, he was a very low functioning autistic and was openly voicing his echolallia for everyone to hear. At the time, i did not know about autism and echolallia, but i remember him distinctly. He also always wanted to sit at the same place in the buss and one time when 2 girls were seated at "his" seat, he tried to sit down on them :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 10:47 am

I'm not sure that's echolalia. Ain't repeating quotes from movies/shows in your head a bit like having a song stuck in your head? It is for me.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 11:04 am

C2V wrote:
.....someone will routinely say "hi how are you today?" And I'll literally repeat "hi how are you today?" Back to them......
I thought that was the social protocol. I've been doing that all my life. I also get stuck on things in my head or a set of repeated phrases will just pop out at odd times.

But, I thought you were supposed to reply in kind to the people who address you.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

ouroborosUK
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jul 2016, 11:12 am

I am a high functionning adult.

I don't think repeating movie quotes in your head really is echolalia since you don't actually speak and don't actually repeat what has been told. But I often repeat stuff in my head too, whatever it is the list of the countries I visited or the seven classic lightsaber combat forms from Star Wars. It helps me calm down and focus when I feel overwhelmed.

On a different topic, I sometimes do something that I think can be described as echolalia when I am talking with some people who say things I can't make any sense about, often emotional reactions about other persons. I will just repeat the last words they said because I don't understand what I could say or am supposed to say.

A bit obsessed with vocabulary, semantics and using the right words. Sorry if it is a concern. It's the way I think, I am not hair-splitting or attacking you.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 11:17 am

According to Wikipedia it's defined as "the unsolicited repetition of vocalizations made by another person." Also "it is estimated that up to 75% of persons on the autism spectrum have exhibited echolalia"

So I suppose I do it a bit, though it's not entirely involuntary and therefore I don't have it in the profound form, it seems. All that happens in my case is that if somebody asks me a question or makes a statement that's difficult for me to grasp (on account of its complexity or lack of clarity), I will repeat the question aloud, to help me focus on it better and fathom its meaning, or if the words don't seem to make sense, to lay them out in front of us so we can see what's going on and put it right. My ex would often say things to me that I couldn't fathom, and would also get annoyed when I repeated them back to her like that. She seemed to think it was a personal attack. But her grammar was often poor and I didn't know what else to do, apart from pretending to understand, which seems a pretty stupid thing to do. And for some reason people have very often reacted with impatience and annoyance when I've simply said "I don't understand," as if it's a huge effort for them to try again, so I was hoping that by repeating the dodgy syntax back to them, they'd at least see that maybe it was their fault.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 12:46 pm

If I find something hilarious, I do repeat it aloud (back to the person). Later, I might repeat exactly what I heard, to myself. Is this actually echolalia, even if I switch the pronouns on purpose when I repeat immediately?

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 1:19 pm

Lumi wrote:
If I find something hilarious, I do repeat it aloud (back to the person). Later, I might repeat exactly what I heard, to myself. Is this actually echolalia, even if I switch the pronouns on purpose when I repeat immediately?

I do the same thing, and I do believe that it's echolalia.

I also do repeat phrases in my head over and over as well as repeat phrases said in movies and by other people when I'm in a conversation. When I do that I have to make a conscious effort to not imitate the voice and accent of whoever said it.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

entsaex_accordingly
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Jul 2016, 2:17 pm

This is tangentially related but I've been curious about this for a while: I often find myself vocally emulating nonvocal noises that catch my interest. More often than not, it's in the context of music but it certainly happens for incidental/environmental sounds as well (such as the sound of a metal object falling down a staircase or an alarm clock). Does that count as echolalia? And if not, is it still related in terms of function?

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 3:59 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
According to Wikipedia it's defined as "the unsolicited repetition of vocalizations made by another person." Also "it is estimated that up to 75% of persons on the autism spectrum have exhibited echolalia"

So I suppose I do it a bit, though it's not entirely involuntary and therefore I don't have it in the profound form, it seems. All that happens in my case is that if somebody asks me a question or makes a statement that's difficult for me to grasp (on account of its complexity or lack of clarity), I will repeat the question aloud, to help me focus on it better and fathom its meaning, or if the words don't seem to make sense, to lay them out in front of us so we can see what's going on and put it right. My ex would often say things to me that I couldn't fathom, and would also get annoyed when I repeated them back to her like that. She seemed to think it was a personal attack. But her grammar was often poor and I didn't know what else to do, apart from pretending to understand, which seems a pretty stupid thing to do. And for some reason people have very often reacted with impatience and annoyance when I've simply said "I don't understand," as if it's a huge effort for them to try again, so I was hoping that by repeating the dodgy syntax back to them, they'd at least see that maybe it was their fault.

Look up "delayed echolalia." Its when you hear someone say something, it sticks in your head, and days or weeks later, you repeat it.

But your examples are not echolalia, since you are doing it to prove a point. What you are doing is mirroring. You're "reflecting" back to them what they've heard. Done right, this is a great social skill. Done poorly it just makes you look like a douche.