Do you think a fifth dimension to reality exists?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 5:51 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
It doesn't seems like quantum computers will ever succeed.

It doesn't seem possible that will ever be able to breech the 5th dimension, and utilize all of probability space.

I mean ... they can do it now ... under restrictive conditions .. and tiny scale ...

However, the method to breech the 5th dimension is to avoid the probability outcome from formalizing (i.e., the wave function collapsing) by means of "quantum decoherence".

That is one heck of a method!! !

To actually avoid a probability outcome from manifesting!! !! !

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 8:47 pm

One of my own speculations, one that I'm not even particularly invested in but I find it interesting and it may prove even more so if evidence pans out this way, is the possibility that the idea of level 3 multiverse might be akin to tracking particles or waves across what might be best described as lines of their own existence, and that this itself would be a form of dimensionality (ie. that all points along the line were always there rather than somehow boiling off googleplexes of universes every planck second). If that were the case you might be able to spool that in with height, width, depth, time and time as a fifth major identifier of identity/orientation such as asking the question which dimensional slice of you are you.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 10:01 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
One of my own speculations, one that I'm not even particularly invested in but I find it interesting and it may prove even more so if evidence pans out this way, is the possibility that the idea of level 3 multiverse might be akin to tracking particles or waves across what might be best described as lines of their own existence, and that this itself would be a form of dimensionality (ie. that all points along the line were always there rather than somehow boiling off googleplexes of universes every planck second). If that were the case you might be able to spool that in with height, width, depth, time and time as a fifth major identifier of identity/orientation such as asking the question which dimensional slice of you are you.

What kind of dressing would you prefer on your word salad?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 10:27 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Funny.

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Very impressive that you just thought of that.

It sounds like you are describing "String theory".

String theory: Super-tiny strings of energy within atoms that vibrate throughout the dimensions.
http://www.madscience.in/2016/04/19/string-theory/

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 10:49 pm

This TED talks video regarding string theory, suggests we are 5-7 years away from running particle collision experiments to test for additional dimensions to reality.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 5:52 am

naturalplastic wrote:

Don't know, just felt like being generous and giving a free ego-trip on the house. I figured you'd claim that one pretty quickly.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

b9
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 6:50 am

yes. it is the planar dimension of time.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 8:25 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Fnord wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
... Millions of dollars in research is going into attempting to utilize the 5th dimension.
Really? Links, please?
It was in an Edward Snowden's Wikileaks release ... So, yeah, it was suppose to be a NSA secret ... "In early 2014 it was reported, based on documents provided by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden, that the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) is running a $79.7 million research program (titled "Penetrating Hard Targets") to develop a quantum computer capable of breaking vulnerable encryption."https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computing
Nowhere in that entire article do the phrase "fifth dimension" appear.

The only "dimensional" reference is in the modeling of the state of a three-qubit quantum computer, thusly ...
Quote:
... similarly described by an eight-dimensional vector (a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h), called a ket. Here, however, the coefficients can have complex values, and it is the sum of the squares of the coefficients' magnitudes, | a | 2 + | b | 2 + ⋯ + | h | 2 {\displaystyle |a|^{2}+|b|^{2}+\cdots +|h|^{2}} |a|^{2}+|b|^{2}+\cdots +|h|^{2}, that must equal 1. These squared magnitudes represent the probability of each of the given states. However, because a complex number encodes not just a magnitude but also a direction in the complex plane, the phase difference between any two coefficients (states) represents a meaningful parameter. This is a fundamental difference between quantum computing and probabilistic classical computing ...
Your claim is bogus, and therefore easily dismissed.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 9:41 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Don't know, just felt like being generous and giving a free ego-trip on the house. I figured you'd claim that one pretty quickly.

What does that mean? "Giving a free ego trop"? The only ego your feeding is your own.

Didnt mean to upset. I was just trying to goad you a little bit into coming down the ladder of abstraction and to restate your theory.

Didnt expect you to cave so fast, and to so readily (if tacitly) admit that it WAS just word salad!

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 10:36 am

Fnord wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Fnord wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
... Millions of dollars in research is going into attempting to utilize the 5th dimension.
Really? Links, please?
It was in an Edward Snowden's Wikileaks release ... So, yeah, it was suppose to be a NSA secret ... "In early 2014 it was reported, based on documents provided by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden, that the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) is running a $79.7 million research program (titled "Penetrating Hard Targets") to develop a quantum computer capable of breaking vulnerable encryption."https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computing
Nowhere in that entire article do the phrase "fifth dimension" appear.

The only "dimensional" reference is in the modeling of the state of a three-qubit quantum computer, thusly ...
Quote:
... similarly described by an eight-dimensional vector (a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h), called a ket. Here, however, the coefficients can have complex values, and it is the sum of the squares of the coefficients' magnitudes, | a | 2 + | b | 2 + ⋯ + | h | 2 {\displaystyle |a|^{2}+|b|^{2}+\cdots +|h|^{2}} |a|^{2}+|b|^{2}+\cdots +|h|^{2}, that must equal 1. These squared magnitudes represent the probability of each of the given states. However, because a complex number encodes not just a magnitude but also a direction in the complex plane, the phase difference between any two coefficients (states) represents a meaningful parameter. This is a fundamental difference between quantum computing and probabilistic classical computing ...
Your claim is bogus, and therefore easily dismissed.

You don't seem to know what a "qbit" is.

"However quantum mechanics allows the qubit to be in a superposition of both states at the same time, a property which is fundamental to quantum computing".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qubit

The qubit being in multiple states at the same time is the 5th dimension of probability space.

In other words, all probability outcomes for the qubit are true simultaneously.

That's what quantum superposition means.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_superposition

That means a qubit is both 0 and 1 at the same time, because all possible outcomes occur.

This is the purpose of quantum computing -- to try and harness probability space, that a qbit is both 0 and 1 at the same time. Compared to classic computers, where information is either a 0 or 1, and cannot be both.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 4:35 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Didnt expect you to cave so fast, and to so readily (if tacitly) admit that it WAS just word salad!

If you really have that much trouble interpreting one person or another's writing style there might be something to maybe just shrugging it off and sticking with posts you can digest. To approach it as if your literacy is the best measurement available of communication on WP is a bit odd (with the frequency that you invoke that I would have thought you might have started perhaps questioning yourself - I guess not) and if you actually have the desire to parse what someone's saying, you have the option to ask a question around what they actually said. Immediately tossing around terms like 'word salad' leads people to the conclusion, and justly so, that you're just giving people shots whose way of thinking you dislike and that there's no genuine curiosity involved. Really, on a person to personal level, whether dealing with people with or without autism, you would get a response that shows it registered as an attack because it's just not the way to talk to people.

You probably know all of this already but considering we're on a forum I figured I should at least say it for the record.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2016, 4:54 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
so, that you're just giving people shots whose way of thinking you dislike and that there's no genuine curiosity involved.

Your ideas are fantastic, not just on this thread. You are so open-minded.

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Really, on a person to personal level, whether dealing with people with or without autism, you would get a response that shows it registered as an attack because it's just not the way to talk to people.

I don't think 'natural' didn't like your ideas.

My impression is that he is very intelligent, and he expresses that intelligence in sarcasm.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2016, 4:55 am

naturalplastic wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

What does that mean? "Giving a free ego trop"? The only ego your feeding is your own.

Didnt mean to upset. I was just trying to goad you a little bit into coming down the ladder of abstraction and to restate your theory.

On some ASD groups, you are expected to indicate sarcasm when you use it.

Otherwise, your question could be interpreted to be: What kind of dressing would you prefer on your word salad? Dumbass.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2016, 5:57 am

At this point I'd have to say I don't know what he was doing and perhaps I really don't care. You can't do that with people who you haven't built a rapport with. AS or NT is irrelevant. I can tell a friend that they're a horrible person, they can tell me that, and we know where we stand so there's no ambiguity. If I do that to a random person or someone that I've rarely if ever had a cordial conversation with I can expect very different results.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 10:24 am

"Dimensions" are a property of vector spaces. The dimension is the the least integral number of independent parameters needed to specify an object in the vector space. mathematically there is nothing magic about the number four or five. Physically it is a different story. For physical systems we need at least four dimension to provide a parameter for time of occurrence of an event. The Kaluza-Klien theory needed five dimensions for unifying the gravity and electro-magnetic fields. Some versions of string theory require ten or eleven dimensions. Six dimensional Calbri-You Surfaces are used in physics. Please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calabi%E2 ... u_manifold

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 11:35 am

BaalChatzaf wrote:
"Dimensions" are a property of vector spaces. The dimension is the the least integral number of independent parameters needed to specify an object in the vector space. mathematically there is nothing magic about the number four or five. Physically it is a different story. For physical systems we need at least four dimension to provide a parameter for time of occurrence of an event. The Kaluza-Klien theory needed five dimensions for unifying the gravity and electro-magnetic fields. Some versions of string theory require ten or eleven dimensions. Six dimensional Calbri-You Surfaces are used in physics. Please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calabi%E2 ... u_manifold

The 5th dimension is special, because it's the first dimension in which things can be true and false at the same time.

A qubit can be a '1' and a '0', at the same time.

Schrodinger's cat is both dead and alive, at the same time.

Thus, the 5th dimension has the potential of exponentially faster computation.

It has potential that I can be in New York and San Francisco at the same time.