Do you think a fifth dimension to reality exists?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 9:42 pm

The fifth dimension to reality is hypothesized to be probability space.

"Probability space" is all the potential possible outcomes for particles in reality.

In physics, it's represented as the "wave function".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_function

The hypothesis is that 3D matter (length+width+depth), at a point in time (4d), can't enter the fifth dimension.

If we try, then we have what physics calls "wave function collapse"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_function_collapse

"Wave function collapse" means the probability space collapses to a single probability outcome (i.e., a particular branch point in reality).

Note: all possible outcomes exist in 5D, thus, all those other branches actually happen.

Any opinions on this perspective of reality?

EDIT: We can't enter the 5th dimension ... unless we watch ... the Twilight Zone ;)

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 05 Jul 2016, 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

05 Jul 2016, 9:53 pm

Is that like where Matthew McConaughey went in the movie Interstellar?

I mean how the hell would I know but it's a cool concept.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 9:57 pm

Jacoby wrote:

LOL.

Great insight.

Maybe.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

05 Jul 2016, 10:33 pm

It is a pretty mind boggling thing to think about because i kind of see it in kind of a spiritual sense because then what we think of as heaven can exist and maybe life ending is more than just a cut to black. The scope of human knowledge is so limited so if there are infinite realities then maybe so much the things we say are impossible and can't be real are and understood in different realities, maybe there are highly evolved beings or entities or something we can't even fathom in other realities that know of existence and what is possible we really don't know or are even able to understand. It sounds kind of cuckoo but I watched some alien documentary on Netflix 'Sirius' that sort of touched on this and it really had an effect on me, maybe I shouldn't watch that stuff stoned... :lol:

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 12:05 am

String theorists (I am not one of them) propose that all particles have an additional extra 7 dimensions curled up that are too small to see.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 12:27 am

Also, something to think about...

Famous phyicist, Neil deGrasse Tyson has suggested it's very likely reality is a simulation [ source 1].

This could explain why all probability outcomes occur within the 5th dimension; its a huge simulator running all possible outcomes.

So, he jokes, "Do something meaningful, so they won't delete you".

sources:
1. Neil deGrasse Tyson says it’s ‘very likely’ the universe is a simulation
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/2271 ... simulation

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 2:50 am

I believe 5 dimensions exist within computations and may exist in reality but we are unable to access them all.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 4:12 am

LoveNotHate wrote:

EDIT: We can't enter the 5th dimension ... unless we watch ... the Twilight Zone ;)

You can also play your eight tracks of their Sixties' hits. Like "Up,Up, and Away" , and "Stoned Soul Picnic"!

Last edited by naturalplastic on 06 Jul 2016, 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen__
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jul 2016, 4:38 am

I don't really believe in extra dimensions. I think they're maybe mathematical anomalies created in the context of our current understanding. I don't believe they are anything more than an artefact. Kind of equivalent to saying the world is 3000 years old based on a family tree described in the bible.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 6:39 am

The extra dimensions are strongly suggested by quantum maths. All other speculations aside, whether or not we can access and exploit them on our macro scale is the real issue. There is currently no real practical value to these extra dimensions, since we cannot detect them, and if the absence of a thing is indistinguishable from the presence of a thing, then then thing may as well not exist at all.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 2:28 pm

Fnord wrote:
The extra dimensions are strongly suggested by quantum maths. All other speculations aside, whether or not we can access and exploit them on our macro scale is the real issue. There is currently no real practical value to these extra dimensions, since we cannot detect them, and if the absence of a thing is indistinguishable from the presence of a thing, then then thing may as well not exist at all.

What about "quantum computing"?

Millions of dollars in research is going into attempting to utilize the 5th dimension.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 3:09 pm

Jacoby wrote:

Cool concept!? It's a horrifying concept!! ! What are the importance of your decisions and acts if your doing everything a astronomical number of times. What is the importance of death or life in such a universe? Peoples die a astronomical number of times every Planck time click; and they live a astronomical number of times. Nothing has meaning in such a universe. I don't know how can some physicians be comfortable with that; as they are smart enough to figure out that.

LoveNotHate wrote:
Also, something to think about...

Famous phyicist, Neil deGrasse Tyson has suggested it's very likely reality is a simulation [ source 1].

This could explain why all probability outcomes occur within the 5th dimension; its a huge simulator running all possible outcomes.

So, he jokes, "Do something meaningful, so they won't delete you".

sources:
1. Neil deGrasse Tyson says it’s ‘very likely’ the universe is a simulation
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/2271 ... simulation

The reasons many believe the Universe is a simulation is because The Universe seem to be built on mathematics. The problem is that mathematics are the only tools we got to explore the deep layers or our reality; meaning things can only appear to be mathematics. I least that's what I think. The secrets of the real nature of the Universe could well be beyond our reach because of the limits of our tools.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 4:29 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
... Millions of dollars in research is going into attempting to utilize the 5th dimension.
Really? Links, please?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 5:01 pm

Fnord wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
... Millions of dollars in research is going into attempting to utilize the 5th dimension.
Really? Links, please?

It was in an Edward Snowden's Wikileaks release ...

So, yeah, it was suppose to be a NSA secret ...

"In early 2014 it was reported, based on documents provided by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden, that the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) is running a $79.7 million research program (titled "Penetrating Hard Targets") to develop a quantum computer capable of breaking vulnerable encryption."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computing

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 5:14 pm

It doesn't seems like quantum computers will ever succeed.

It doesn't seem possible that will ever be able to breech the 5th dimension, and utilize all of probability space.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 5:51 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
It doesn't seems like quantum computers will ever succeed.

It doesn't seem possible that will ever be able to breech the 5th dimension, and utilize all of probability space.

I mean ... they can do it now ... under restrictive conditions .. and tiny scale ...

However, the method to breech the 5th dimension is to avoid the probability outcome from formalizing (i.e., the wave function collapsing) by means of "quantum decoherence".

That is one heck of a method!! !

To actually avoid a probability outcome from manifesting!! !! !