13 year old intrigued with politics, anyone else?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Brenda1961
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jul 2016, 4:50 pm

my friends son is over the top with politics, are their any other young adults here he can talk with with similar interests?

opraaa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2016, 2:20 am

Hey there Brenda,

I myself am 16, and really got into politics when I was 14. I have recently joined the Bernie Sanders campaign, although that has (unfortunately) come to a bit of a halt. It's really great that kids our age are exploring this realm of the world, as I believe it is one of the most important parts of our lives, and is crucial to best understand the way humanity thinks and acts. I am unsure how I would communicate with him (other than on here), so I am not totally sure what you mean by this. I can give you some book recommendations that might interest him in the meantime:

"Common Sense" by Thomas Paine - A literary classic, but difficult to read and understand at a young age, so you might want to hold off on this.

"Rules for Radicals" by Saul Alinsky - A favorite of mine. It gives you insight into the mind of different politicians as they faces (what seemed to be) impossible circumstances and struggles.

"Leviathan" by Thomas Hobbes - Gives the reader information on how the common wealth was founded, and what that means.

"Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand - Goes completely against my morals and ideologies, but it was this book that made my morals what they are today. It would be interesting to see what he thinks about Rand's opinions throughout the novel.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 2:31 am

Here's another great series of video on politics and liberty, by some very good professors:

https://www.youtube.com/user/LearnLiberty

There Are Four Lights!

opraaa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2016, 2:55 am

Darmok wrote:
Here's another great series of video on politics and liberty, by some very good professors:

https://www.youtube.com/user/LearnLiberty

A horrible idea. The whole channel is run by those who identify as libertarians. It is much better (and safer) to have a teenager discover their ideas for themselves.

Feanor
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Dec 2016, 1:49 pm

It's great he found something he really likes- I was a bit interested in politics, too, at his age. I really loved a satirical show called Yes, Prime Minister- that's what I think it was called. Still like it now. Of course, the target audience was for older adults, but I loved it nonetheless, and he may, as well. You could ask him if he wants to set up a debate and politics club at his school or join a pre-existing one.

wbport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Dec 2016, 2:47 pm

opraaa wrote:

"Rules for Radicals" by Saul Alinsky - A favorite of mine. It gives you insight into the mind of different politicians as they faces (what seemed to be) impossible circumstances and struggles.

An Alinsky schooled politician it the type to avoid or oppose, certainly not the type to endorse or vote for. Ideas such as "the ends justify the means", pitting one faction against another, and attempting to destroy an opponent with name calling and ridicule are not traits to emulate. What ever happened to logically trying to tear down the opponents' platform instead of name calling?

Some of history's worst dictators have been Alinskyites. And he learned it from Stalin.

PIgeek
Raven
Raven

01 Feb 2017, 2:47 pm

yes, me. i enjoy radicals and "liberal" left (i don't know if in english is "left"). i am 15 and i am interested in a new federal europe. soooo idealistic :roll:

and the white knight is talking backwards
and the red queen is off with her head
remember what the dormouse said
feed your head, feed your head"

White rabbit -
Jefferson Airplane

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2017, 12:43 pm

If it is politics in history, then it is interesting to me.

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 27, 2017)

its_riri
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Feb 2024, 11:32 am

hey there Brenda!

I've never been particularly interested in politics, but my best friend (16) is obsessed with Russian politics and the Cold War. they love talking about them both :D