Page 14 of 108 [ 1723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 108  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2016, 1:00 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:
It can depending on who is using the term. That is the problem. First off I think there are better ways to describe that phenomenon. "sjw" is used far too often as a slur and its meaning differs from person to person. I also like the point Wolfram made where he said it makes the person using it look like they want social injustice. It's just not an effective way to communicate.

I don't personally know of any reasonable person who would make the inference you're suggesting, nor can I name any occasion where I've encountered that perspective online prior to reading this post. The term is in common usage and the overwhelming majority of people seem to understand exactly what is meant by it. It would be incredibly foolish to assume a person's political perspective based on their dismissal of SJWs.

The concept of social justice relies on a subjective perception of reality, informed by feelings and bereft of facts. This is what it looks like in practice:

Social injustice is inevitable, whether or not you desire it. There will always be those who are bitter that they aren't as successful, talented or desirable as their peers, who are jealous of the perceived superiority of the lives and experiences of others.

My interest lies in legal justice. Social justice can, frankly, do one.

I do see the term get thrown around quite a lot on facebook, by people who seem to be using it to insult/criticize anyone they take to be a progressive/liberal or on the left who expresses concern or care over social issues they find to be important. But good to know it more is meant to specifically refer to people of such leanings that use bullying/inditmidation. But yeah it also gets used like 'oh because you said you care about this issue and think its important...you must be trying to be some kind of super justice warrior.' when someone is just expressing their opinion.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2016, 1:46 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
But yeah it also gets used like 'oh because you said you care about this issue and think its important...you must be trying to be some kind of super justice warrior.' when someone is just expressing their opinion.

that's the real problem, in my opinion. their existence makes it easier to invalidate both sides, but in the end it's more detrimental to the overall image of what they're allegedly defending than to what they're allegedly against. they're political hipsters, essentially

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2016, 4:25 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
But good to know it more is meant to specifically refer to people of such leanings that use bullying/inditmidation.

Aye, especially "crybullies".

Quote:
But yeah it also gets used like 'oh because you said you care about this issue and think its important...you must be trying to be some kind of super justice warrior.' when someone is just expressing their opinion.

As with any political stereotype, there are certain buzzwords and phrases that will lead to such inadequate delineation, whether deliberately or out of ignorance.

anagram wrote:
they're political hipsters, essentially

Succinct and accurate.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2016, 4:11 am

L_Holmes wrote:
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

SJWs have the intention to do good, but that doesn't mean they actually do any good. In fact, I think they have caused, and will continue to cause, many problems that will hinder the progress of freedom and equality rather than further it. They are hurting the cause of social justice, and they cannot be ignored.

Here's an example of a bad idea that seems good: white privilege. The reason they use that idea is because they want to point out the problems in the black community that aren't as prevalent in the white community, like poverty, crime, unfair treatment from law enforcement etc. It seems good; it seems like it makes sense.

But when you examine it closely, you realize it has a problem: it implies that the problem is totally one of race, in a society where systemic racism is almost nonexistent. It focuses on the symptoms rather than the underlying causes. It focuses on a very oversimplified version of the problem, rather than addressing the complexities that need to be understood if progress is to be made. It encourages treating black people differently than white people in order to even out their privilege, rather than encouraging people to treat everyone fairly and with the same respect.

It's a way of viewing things that just perpetuates the problem, rather than focusing on solutions. You shouldn't treat people as if they have more or less of anything simply because of the way they look. You should treat them as individuals. But I've seen many people from the BLM movement encouraging this idea of white privilege. Just today I saw a bunch of them on TV talking about this. Many of them were saying that if you are white, you are in some way responsible for the way things are, and say that you therefore have more of an obligation than they do to do something about it. That is simply a racist idea.

But nobody speaks up, either because they blindly believe it or because they are afraid of being called a racist. So the problem continues.

And this idea of perpetuating the problem rather than focusing on solutions can be really be applied to the whole SJW movement. They focus so much attention on race, gender, sexuality etc., when the goal should be to forget about those things. By forget, I mean, to realize those things don't determine who you are as a person or what you are capable of, and so ultimately they don't matter. The goal should be to treat people as individuals, and not to determine things, like whether or not they are privileged, based on something as inconsequential and meaningless as the color of their skin.

I made this thread because some people here seem to think being opposed to SJWs means you're opposed to social justice, when it's quite the opposite. I'm opposed to them because I think they are now one of the biggest, if not the biggest obstacle to social justice. They are infecting and overrunning the social justice movement, and turning it into a victim cult that seeks to take rather than to give, to hurt rather than to help. So forgive me if I think they are a bigger obstruction to social justice than Neo Nazis or white supremacists, who almost nobody likes and who hold very little influence or power in this country, unlike SJWs, who grow in number and influence every day.

I'll reiterate what I said at the beginning of this post: just because a group of people thinks they are doing good does not mean they won't cause tons of harm. Christians and Muslims are a prime example of that. And plenty of SJWs are just as dogmatic about unfounded beliefs as religious people are. The difference is they come disguised as a movement for freedom and equality, and that makes them all the more dangerous.

Do you believe in male privilege and/or female privilege?

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2016, 7:53 am

The US has a history of racism towards black people and the effects are still lingering today.

It's the same way if you abuse a child when they are a kid they will grow up to be damaged. The effects linger. Intergenerational damage occurs. I think reparations are a positive and necessary action to try and counter negative historical actions although I understand the arguments against it.

When a drunk driver kills someone on the road they are expected to make reparations even if they are basically a good person. It's just a way of restoring balance.

I do think system racism exists today. It may not be legal but it still exists. Racism nowadays is very tricky and nebulous. It's very difficult to define. Nobody wants to be seen as a racist which makes it even worse because it's harder to spot. And sometime people spot imaginary things. Well, that's life.

Maybe we need a better way to speak about these things. "Racists" don't self-identify as such so the slur word doesn't effect them in a positive way. They just become offended, lol.

I know someone huge misogynist thinks he's the greatest guy ever. Do I call him a misogynist? No, because I just think it would make him angrier.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 8:36 pm

Canadian college SJWs are as totalitarian as US college SJWs:

There Are Four Lights!

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 9:04 pm

Darmok wrote:

lol, dumb trump supporter responds to dumb sjw. "trump doesn't hate immigrants". yes he does. "it's illegal immigrants". no it's not. it's a frickin hat with a frickin slogan! both the guy and the girl were clearly looking for opportunities for pointless arguments

it's impressive how everybody shamelessly loses sight of the point of everything "these days" (quotation marks because i guess it was never really any different. it just wasn't so plainly and aggressively visible on youtube and twitter for everybody to see)

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 9:22 pm

Darmok wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, she's getting rape and death threats since this went viral. Should be some consolation. :lol:

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 9:45 pm

a little bit of nietzsche:

the surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently

he who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you

it's very ironic that he came to be associated with nazism, which he was vehemently opposed to. ironic, but no anomaly. it's how totalitarians operate. misappropriation

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 9:57 pm

anagram wrote:
it's how totalitarians operate. misappropriation

This +10.

The people who loudly claim to be "liberal" tend to be the most anti-liberal. The people who loudly claim to be anti-racist tend to be the most racist. The people who loudly claim to be anti-sexist tend to be the most sexist. Etc. They appropriate a positive word (like "liberal") as a cover for doing and being the opposite.

There Are Four Lights!

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 2:57 am

wilburforce wrote:
If it makes you feel any better, she's getting rape and death threats since this went viral. Should be some consolation. :lol:

The threats are obviously unacceptable, but isn't this how the whole "call out" thing is supposed to work, with people facing consequences for their actions?

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 3:31 am

Dox47 wrote:
wilburforce wrote:

The threats are obviously unacceptable, but isn't this how the whole "call out" thing is supposed to work, with people facing consequences for their actions?

Rape threats should never be the consequence of anything. So no, that's not how it's supposed to work. People should be able to disagree with her and tell her that without also threatening to violently penetrate her against her will. Attack her ideas, not her psychological well-being. Threatening someone with rape because you disagree with their political stance is pretty low, and the only kind of statement it makes is that the originator is an uncivilised cretin.

It's unacceptable, yet that's how it's supposed to work according to you. You talk out of both sides of your mouth.

ETA: I know devil's advocate is sort of your bag, but suggesting receiving rape threats is just how facing consequences for your actions is supposed to work is just low. You can find better stances to argue from than that. Aim higher, dude.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 4:14 am

There are those that make unreasonable accusations of harassment after being harassing and aggressive themselves. Such as the Hugh Mungus joke woman. Talk about hysterical and neurotic.

These people can't wait for the opportunity to play the the victim.

They think they are entitled to thing they are not, such as knowing someone's name. Same rules don't apply to them.

The funny thing is they are often less clued up on what they are offended by than the person they accusing is. Like the woman who was offended by an Hawaiian Hula Bobble head. Despite thinking Hawai was a continent.

Threatening someone's livelihood over soemthign like that, when she had less cultural connection to it than he did.

The reality is there is a direct connection between her attitude an specific courses in universities. She is just parroting what she has been told without questioning it, becuase there is not counter narrative.

I am going to do a whole piece on how intersectionality has directly undermined and damaged various movements like the black civil rights movement, feminism, secularism, environmentalism, occupy wall street, etc. As well as a critique as to why it is not a good ideology to have and what the inherent flaws are.

Last edited by 0_equals_true on 18 Sep 2016, 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 4:16 am

Darmok wrote:
This +10.

The people who loudly claim to be "liberal" tend to be the most anti-liberal. The people who loudly claim to be anti-racist tend to be the most racist. The people who loudly claim to be anti-sexist tend to be the most sexist. Etc. They appropriate a positive word (like "liberal") as a cover for doing and being the opposite.

This is especially ironic since they use the use the term appropriation so much.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 8:28 pm

wilburforce wrote:
Rape threats should never be the consequence of anything. So no, that's not how it's supposed to work. People should be able to disagree with her and tell her that without also threatening to violently penetrate her against her will. Attack her ideas, not her psychological well-being. Threatening someone with rape because you disagree with their political stance is pretty low, and the only kind of statement it makes is that the originator is an uncivilised cretin.

It's unacceptable, yet that's how it's supposed to work according to you. You talk out of both sides of your mouth.

ETA: I know devil's advocate is sort of your bag, but suggesting receiving rape threats is just how facing consequences for your actions is supposed to work is just low. You can find better stances to argue from than that. Aim higher, dude.

Did you miss the part where I said "the threats are obviously unacceptable"? You know, the very first thing I said?

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 8:58 pm

Dox47 wrote:
wilburforce wrote:

Did you miss the part where I said "the threats are obviously unacceptable"? You know, the very first thing I said?

No, I obviously didn't. But just because you tacked that on to the front of your statement doesn't mean that you didn't then go on to say that this is how it's supposed to work, that people suffer consequences for their actions; which suggests that rape threats are in fact a legitimate consequence of saying something stupid. That is why I said you are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

You will often hear/see people say things like "I'm not racist, but..." and then go on to express a very racist opinion. Saying "I'm not racist" doesn't actually cancel out the racism in what follows, but somehow people think it does if they say that. This is an example of "talking out of both sides of one's mouth". You say rape threats are unacceptable, but then follow that with something about how people suffering consequences for their actions is how it's supposed to work, suggesting that they are in fact acceptable because "hey, consequences". You are contradicting yourself.

Like I said, I know you like to be contrarian and play devil's advocate--but surely there is another contrary tack you can take in this discussion that doesn't involve defending rape threats.