Page 72 of 108 [ 1723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 108  Next

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2018, 6:27 pm

MIT librarian: Tech workplaces plastered with Star Trek posters, other geeky stuff is non-inclusive to women

The top librarian at MIT recently argued that to make tech workplaces more inclusive and welcoming to women, ditch “Star Trek” posters and other geeky stuff cluttering office walls.

“There is research that shows that workplaces that are plastered with stereotypically ‘tech or nerd guy’ cultural images – think Star Trek – have negative impact on women’s likelihood of pursuing tech work and of staying in tech work in general or in that particular work environment,” said Chris Bourg, director of libraries at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

“Replace the Star Trek posters with travel posters, don’t name your projects or your printers or your domains after only male figures from Greek mythology, and just generally avoid geek references and inside nerd jokes,” Bourg added. “Those kinds of things reinforce the stereotypes about who does tech; and that stereotype is the male nerd stereotype.”

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/42382/

There Are Four Lights!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2018, 7:08 pm

Darmok wrote:
MIT librarian: Tech workplaces plastered with Star Trek posters, other geeky stuff is non-inclusive to women

The top librarian at MIT recently argued that to make tech workplaces more inclusive and welcoming to women, ditch “Star Trek” posters and other geeky stuff cluttering office walls.

“There is research that shows that workplaces that are plastered with stereotypically ‘tech or nerd guy’ cultural images – think Star Trek – have negative impact on women’s likelihood of pursuing tech work and of staying in tech work in general or in that particular work environment,” said Chris Bourg, director of libraries at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

“Replace the Star Trek posters with travel posters, don’t name your projects or your printers or your domains after only male figures from Greek mythology, and just generally avoid geek references and inside nerd jokes,” Bourg added. “Those kinds of things reinforce the stereotypes about who does tech; and that stereotype is the male nerd stereotype.”

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/42382/

This is beyond stupid. The first Star Trek had something very unusual for its time a black woman and Asian cast member. In the series, an "alien" was accepted as a full-fledged member of the crew.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2018, 9:25 pm

Yes, replace all that geeky stuff with bland trash that no one will have any connection with. :roll:

It's funny how the article says Star Trek conventions are 50/50 male and female. That's not a surprise. First I've ever heard of Star Trek being considered male.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2018, 9:33 pm

That being said though, there's a link to the study in the article, and the opening paragraph seems to claim it has a strong effect on women what the environment contains while it has no effect on men. I don't have time to read the study, it's 16 wordy pages, but I'd be interested to get some eyeballs on it, especially female ones, and see what you make of the study.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 11:29 am

Darmok wrote:
“There is research that shows that workplaces that are plastered with stereotypically ‘tech or nerd guy’ cultural images – think Star Trek – have negative impact on women’s likelihood of pursuing tech work

Just ditch all that stupid tech stuff, it makes women feel uncomfortable.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 12:59 pm

XenoMind wrote:
Darmok wrote:
“There is research that shows that workplaces that are plastered with stereotypically ‘tech or nerd guy’ cultural images – think Star Trek – have negative impact on women’s likelihood of pursuing tech work

Just ditch all that stupid tech stuff, it makes women feel uncomfortable.

Genius. Get women into tech by getting tech out of tech.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 6:38 am

So Star Trek posters are offensive now? That is highly illogical.

Really if any woman is scared away by some posters than she's doesn't have what it takes to be successful in a tech career or in any sort of career.

I thought feminism was about empowering women. Feminism actually seems to be making women weaker.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 4:29 pm

Um... as a woman who loves sci fi and fantasy, including Star Trek, what that MIT librarian said was incredibly sexist. I've been told my whole life that the things I love are "for boys", and here is someone saying it yet again and pretending they're doing women a favour. :roll:

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 9:28 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Um... as a woman who loves sci fi and fantasy, including Star Trek, what that MIT librarian said was incredibly sexist. I've been told my whole life that the things I love are "for boys", and here is someone saying it yet again and pretending they're doing women a favour. :roll:

Kudos from me. I'm happy to see that not everyone in this world is insane yet. :cheers:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 3:21 am

Bill Maher “New Rules” takes on SJW thinking
https://youtu.be/ugLbotr1RuQ

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 6:45 pm

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 7:21 pm

Because goofy matching prom outfits are totally the same as Ku Klux Klan lynch mobs.

There Are Four Lights!

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 5:48 am

I usually know what the "problem" is the SJWs have, but here I have no idea at all... :?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 2:15 am

Bill Maher’s “New Rules” on SJW objection to the new Amy Schumer movie

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 12:53 pm

And they're supposed to like Amy too. Nothing is ever good enough. She has become the latest segment of the snake eating itself to be devoured.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 4:07 pm

Vocal group reported to PC police for mariachi-themed flyer

-The University of Vermont’s Bias Response Team sent out a campus-wide alert after a student group featured mariachi musicians in a promotional flyer.
-The BRT argued that while “the image on the flyer may seem benign to some,” the officials “recognize the impact this incident may have had on some of our campus community, and in particular our Latinx members.”

The University of Vermont’s Bias Response Team sent out a campus-wide alert after a student group featured mariachi musicians in a promotional flyer.

In an email sent to the student body Friday, the Bias Response Team (BRT) formally condemned the “Top Cats” a capella group for posting an event flyer highlighting their Senior Show that “had the faces of three senior members superimposed on the bodies of what appears to be Mexican mariachi band members.”

"To some, the image on the flyer inadvertently supports racism and further perpetuates cultural appropriation, which dishonors the deep legacy and richness of Mexican culture."

“Since receiving a Bias, Discrimination, and Harassment Incident Report, the Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity (AAEO) and the Bias Response Team (BRT) have been reviewing the information provided, and have conducted outreach to gather more information about the nature of this incident and the impact on community members, especially those members who identify as Mexican and/or Latinx,” the email explained.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10864

There Are Four Lights!