Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

11 Jul 2016, 11:43 pm

Does or has anyone played Skyrim? I've been thinking about buying it - maybe not right now but when the remaster comes out on PC. Looks like a good game that could keep me entertained for a while. Also the amount of mods for it out on the internet is just huge. I can import weapons from WoW and Warhammer 40000 into the game.

Thoughts? I don't want to waste money if I can avoid it.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 2:46 am

I have been wondering the same thing. My friend convinced me to look into it and he gave it a very optimistic endorsement, but most of the games I own are si-fi space games and I am not really interested in fantasy. Then again that friend is just as much of a science fiction nut as I am and it's an unusual genre for him too.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Abyssalrider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jul 2016, 9:00 am

For PC, yes. always worth getting, if nothing else for the sheer amount of mods it has. I run about 106 mods simultaneously when playing it (yes that's a lot, most add in items, a few add in buildings, cells, even different races such as playable children) I've spent so much time playing it i have nearly 20 characters over lvl 80, and a couple over level 200, but i still don't know where everything is off the top of my head.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 2:37 pm

yeah its awesome! i have the legendary edition on pc, its so good! hours and hours of content in it, try the civil war missions! you fight in huge battles with loads of people it feels glorious to fight for the empire this day! the main story lets you fight dragons, loads of interesting lore to, definitely get your monies worth from it

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 3:11 pm

I can only agree with the above poster... Skyrim is a truly magnificent gaming experience on the PC, especially if one uses mods that boost the graphical quality of characters, textures and environments...

Here are some actual in-game graphics with the use of specific mods...

Oh, and be sure to visit http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/ for a gadzillion different mods...

Including lightsabers, of course... 8)

vegam
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jul 2016, 9:31 pm

Skyrim is one of my favorite games ever purely for how well it does the open world thing. There are so many locations in the game world that exist purely to be explored -- there's no associated quest or no real "reason" for you to go there, but it's something interesting to discover while you're out exploring. You'll often find little "scenes" or something and wonder what the story is. Or maybe you'll find a journal or a note or something explaining what happened in that particular location. So far I have yet to really play another game that does that so well.

Plus, the leveling/combat system is quite fun, in my opinion. You really get to customize the exact sort of character you want to play as.

I wouldn't personally worry so much if you're not really into fantasy; I had never gotten into a fantasy game prior to playing Skyrim, and I still fully enjoyed it. The lore of the universe is fairly easy to understand and you don't have to really get "deep" into it to play the game.

And, yes, mods are incredible. So many creative and hardworking people out there constantly adding new elements to the game, new quests, new characters, etc. There are some mods I wouldn't even consider playing the game without.

Contact me at: [email protected]

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 8:08 am

Yes. But it probably does come down to preferences like every game does. I still play it on the 360 and have put many, many hours into multiple playstyled character saves, and am looking forward to the remastered version on One. There is so much to explore, with character freedom and many details.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 11:16 am

Its worth it. All Bethesda games are free roam, open world, do whatever you want games.

I know it's on steam so unless you want to pay full price, add it to your wishlist and wait. Or just buy it and enjoy the nature.

I used to mod a lot for Oblivion and Morrowind, not so much for Skyrim, i made a house outside Whiterun. Nothing special like i did for Oblivion like interior lightning that changed over the course of the day (dusk-dawn), Cloakhood that allowed you to sneak into the cities if you had a bounty on your head, break into buildings through windows and other cool scripting things.

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

14 Jul 2016, 4:58 am

When I'm next able to afford it, I'll probably buy it and all its associated DLC. Thanks for your opinions everyone.

The amount of mods are amazing. So many weapons, armour, spells...and more. Glad I've got the NBN connection now, because it'll probably get a lot of use downloading Skyrim mods. :D

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 8:52 am

"The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim + Add-Ons BUNDLE" is on sale right now on Steam for 12,19€ (39% discount buntle), which is cheaper than to buy the standalone game(!)

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2016, 2:17 am

If you own the Legendary version of Skyrim on Steam, you will receive the remastered edition which will have support for DX11 and there is a possibility that there will be support for 144hz G-Sync monitors but I can't say for certain since the Creation engine doesn't work well above 60 frames per second.

Here is a thread to get you started with the basics of Skyrim modding: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/wik ... ners_guide

Check out the beginner's guide to modding Skyrim by Gopher on YouTube, it is important to watch if you intend to install many scripting based mods.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 11:38 am

Incredible experience, I'm around twenty two hours in and not even a third through the main story there's that much to absorb and roleplay and explore! So many stunning locations to dip into repeatedly and the atmosphere is intoxicating.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 3:16 pm

oh yeah, just to mention, a friend of mine (okay not A friend of mine, my friend as i only have one) told me that if you own all the dlc on the pc version, that you get the re-mastered version for free, haha i already own all the dlc, so thats great!

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 4:14 pm

DancingCorpse wrote:
Incredible experience, I'm around twenty two hours in and not even a third through the main story there's that much to absorb and roleplay and explore! So many stunning locations to dip into repeatedly and the atmosphere is intoxicating.

Dont forget all the faction quests, exploration locations, ruins, special mobs, daedric temples, city quests, special items and more to find out. Some mods also add a few quests and new worldspaces to explore.

I have the Dragonborn and Heartfire DLCs, and i love being able to visit at least a part of Morrowind (The northern part, Solstheim). The Southern part around Ebonheart can be visited in Elderscrolls Online, the main continent Vvardenfell is basically a smoldering pile of ash and lava because of red mountain erupting.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 8:33 pm

Yep! I think I've probably discovered just under a third of the locations, I can take hours to explore a single cave complex! I messed up early on, apart from the infamous giant encounter (LOL I'll go put an axe in that big fellow's head-oops!) Within the first couple hours I attempted to go through Darkwater Pass to get over an infuriating section of river, I simply could not find an alternative route trying to get to Ivarstead, big mistake... I managed to come out unscathed with a nice falmer sword and shield though, that is one creepy ass place, I've yet to return.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 4:29 am

DancingCorpse wrote:
Yep! I think I've probably discovered just under a third of the locations, I can take hours to explore a single cave complex! I messed up early on, apart from the infamous giant encounter (LOL I'll go put an axe in that big fellow's head-oops!) Within the first couple hours I attempted to go through Darkwater Pass to get over an infuriating section of river, I simply could not find an alternative route trying to get to Ivarstead, big mistake... I managed to come out unscathed with a nice falmer sword and shield though, that is one creepy ass place, I've yet to return.

Been to Kagrenzel yet? It has some very deep gameplay (wink) :) Started the game just now and i rediscovered my lvl 59 standing in the hotsprings where i usually camp around to hunt for wildlife.