Sandy boy with autism shatters stereotypes, takes World Titl

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 7:48 am

Fox13Now.com wrote:
Sandy boy with autism shatters stereotypes, takes World Title in Taekwondo competition

SALT LAKE CITY -- A boy from Sandy accomplished a dream and shattered stereotypes when he became a world champion martial artist with a developmental disability.

Ethan Fineshriber was diagnosed with autism at age 3.

A couple years later, his mother, Mara, decided he needed more exercise and to interact with others, giving Ethan a choice between soccer, t-ball or karate.

Uninterested in the first two options, Mara loaded Ethan in the car, and took him to the nearest local ATA Taekwondo School. Reluctant at first, Ethan eventually fell in love with the sport....

http://fox13now.com/2016/07/11/sandy-bo ... mpetition/

Wow! I studied Taekwondo at about his age, but he is fantastically better than I ever was.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 4:15 pm

Congratulations Ethan Fineshriber

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 10:22 pm

Awesome! :D

I did Taekwondo when I was younger. I got up to second degree black belt, but didn't pursue it after that.