Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 12:18 am

W91T wrote:
Alita wrote:
questor wrote:
With two bad knees, a bad back, and other health issues, I am not able to do martial arts as others do. I do, however, get around with 2 steel offset handle quad canes. I took the time to study up on using canes in martial arts, but those weren't quad canes, so the methods used with regular canes won't work with quad canes, which are heavy at the bottom end. In my study of the situation, I did see some alternate maneuvers that would work with quad canes, so I looked into the parts of the body that I should aim for if I am attacked. This was very helpful. I also make a habit of doing some practice defense moves with my canes. Being steel, they weigh almost 5 pounds each, so this is helpful. I deliberately bought steel ones instead of aluminum versions, as I am very overweight, & felt the steel ones would be better able to handle my weight. I have lost about 50 pounds since then, but am still very overweight. I will continue doing what has helped me to lose the weight, so I will hopefully keep losing it. Although they are heavy, I actually like my steel canes, as I am able to handle the weight of them. Also, it's like lifting hand weights every time I take a step with them, so it's good exercise for me.

Because of my weight and bad knees, there is no way I can run away from an attacker. I considered a hand weapon, but can't manage one while using the canes, and no mugger will stand politely by while I get one out of my tote bag or holster, so I decided not to burden myself with the extra weight, and instead chose to look into using my canes for self-defense, as they are always with me. I am pleased with what I have worked out. I just hope I never have to use them in a real-life situation.

Just remember, don't mess with the two cane ninja! :D :ninja:

Wow, that's fantastic. Have you thought of setting up a school for people in a similar situation? I think it would really take off, especially with the older crowd who daily feel threatened in their own homes and aren't very mobile. :)

I used to do Krav Maga (the Israeli groin-kicking martial art). I really miss it. :ninja:

Cool, I remember I wanted to practice it too, but I couldn't find a place nearby

It's not very widespread. That's why I stopped.

fakkau89
Raven
Raven

21 May 2017, 7:32 am

I used to do Tae Kwon Do as a kid, I think the highest level I got was either yellow tip or yellow full.

I used to be good at sparing.

I might get back into Tae Kwon do soon, or the other option is Muay Thai (Thailand Boxing aka The art of the 8 limbs)
which I really enjoyed and seems quite full on for self defense, yeah I might do that instead of TKD.

Have yet to spar with MT but during training it is not compulsory, it is opt in.

actually mt might be good with strengthening my knees, cool cool cool.

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 2:24 pm

fakkau89 wrote:
I used to do Tae Kwon Do as a kid, I think the highest level I got was either yellow tip or yellow full.

I might get back into Tae Kwon do soon, or the other option is Muay Thai (Thailand Boxing aka The art of the 8 limbs)
which I really enjoyed and seems quite full on for self defense, yeah I might do that instead of TKD.

Have yet to spar with MT but during training it is not compulsory, it is opt in.

MT has a lot of leg work, as I understand it. If you're wanting to strengthen your knees, that would be the way to go.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

27 May 2017, 8:59 am

fakkau89 wrote:

I think it's cool how Muay Thai strengthens your knees, something that can be very damaging, even without training

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 10:03 pm

My college just added a martial arts club that I joined so I could get some exercise and have fun with it. It’s student-led, and they’re teaching Muay Thai. My only martial arts experience was a little bit of taekwondo in fourth or fifth grade, so I’m not nearly as experienced as most of the others there. Still, I’ve learned a lot, even though I’ve only been to two meetings so far.

ABZ
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Nov 2017, 5:06 pm

Done some basic Krav Maga training. May be useful if I'm eve attacked , mugged etc.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 11:35 am

Off and on since I was four. Tae Kwon do for about seven years. Very little bit of karate. Muay Thai and wing Chun for six months to a year. Nine or ten years of Tai chi chuan and gongfu now.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 11:49 am

Taekwondo when I was 13-14 years of age. I believe it is one of the reasons I stopped my Selective Mutism.

I wish I could still do what I learned then. But, at 56 years of age, it is largely relegated to my memory.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Pericles
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2018, 6:45 pm

I do chigung and yoga - find both make me happy, more calm & less withdrawn.