Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 9:09 am

Qualified to teach since around a decade and a half ago. Nearly three decades in martial arts altogether.

W91T wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:
Yes. I am even qualified/certified to teach the martial arts all the way to entry Olympics-levels.

Cool, how long have you been doing this?

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2017, 1:32 pm

questor wrote:
With two bad knees, a bad back, and other health issues, I am not able to do martial arts as others do. I do, however, get around with 2 steel offset handle quad canes. I took the time to study up on using canes in martial arts, but those weren't quad canes, so the methods used with regular canes won't work with quad canes, which are heavy at the bottom end. In my study of the situation, I did see some alternate maneuvers that would work with quad canes, so I looked into the parts of the body that I should aim for if I am attacked. This was very helpful. I also make a habit of doing some practice defense moves with my canes. Being steel, they weigh almost 5 pounds each, so this is helpful. I deliberately bought steel ones instead of aluminum versions, as I am very overweight, & felt the steel ones would be better able to handle my weight. I have lost about 50 pounds since then, but am still very overweight. I will continue doing what has helped me to lose the weight, so I will hopefully keep losing it. Although they are heavy, I actually like my steel canes, as I am able to handle the weight of them. Also, it's like lifting hand weights every time I take a step with them, so it's good exercise for me.

Because of my weight and bad knees, there is no way I can run away from an attacker. I considered a hand weapon, but can't manage one while using the canes, and no mugger will stand politely by while I get one out of my tote bag or holster, so I decided not to burden myself with the extra weight, and instead chose to look into using my canes for self-defense, as they are always with me. I am pleased with what I have worked out. I just hope I never have to use them in a real-life situation.

Just remember, don't mess with the two cane ninja! :D :ninja:

Haha, that sounds cool.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 7:30 pm

I used to... Japanese Ju Jitsu... not the ground grappling stuff, nope... upright combat style. It was fun for awhile there.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2017, 4:11 am

Yes. Did Bujinkan a while ago. It did wonders for my body/motoric skills and awareness of my surroundings.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

01 Apr 2017, 5:46 pm

dossa wrote:
I used to... Japanese Ju Jitsu... not the ground grappling stuff, nope... upright combat style. It was fun for awhile there.

I want to learn combat style too!

Ichinin wrote:
Yes. Did Bujinkan a while ago. It did wonders for my body/motoric skills and awareness of my surroundings.

I've actually never heard about it before, how is it?

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2017, 6:17 pm

W91T wrote:
Ichinin wrote:

Short answer: It's fun.

Its a couple of martial arts schools put together to one martial art, it's a bit like Aikido, Jiu-jutsu and Judo with lots of techniques that are considered no-no in other martial arts, that is why there are no competitions which deter some people who want to measure themselves against others, but others who just want to learn defence or practice Budo love it.

You can read about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bujinkan

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

01 Apr 2017, 7:56 pm

Ichinin wrote:
W91T wrote:
Ichinin wrote:

Short answer: It's fun.

Its a couple of martial arts schools put together to one martial art, it's a bit like Aikido, Jiu-jutsu and Judo with lots of techniques that are considered no-no in other martial arts, that is why there are no competitions which deter some people who want to measure themselves against others, but others who just want to learn defence or practice Budo love it.

You can read about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bujinkan

Oh, that seems interestning. I'm able to see some judo traits. The movements are really swift too.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 5:38 pm

As of right now I'm about 8 1/2 years into a mixed kali, panantukan, wing chun, and kuntao system with some ground jiu-jitsu elements but more focus on defense against jiu jitsu and grappling w. ground-educated striking rather than extensive implementation of grappling.

It seems like the plateaus are like layers of shale and every five or six months I notice improvements. Admittedly though in my first five years I was three days per week or more. When I hit black belt I got busy with other things and it's been down to one or two days per week - I guess mostly to keep the motivational pilot flame lit but also due to other things just taking that time.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

22 Apr 2017, 4:49 am

amykitten wrote:
Why are you interested in if people do a martial arts?

When I posted this I had just began practicing judo

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
As of right now I'm about 8 1/2 years into a mixed kali, panantukan, wing chun, and kuntao system with some ground jiu-jitsu elements but more focus on defense against jiu jitsu and grappling w. ground-educated striking rather than extensive implementation of grappling.

It seems like the plateaus are like layers of shale and every five or six months I notice improvements. Admittedly though in my first five years I was three days per week or more. When I hit black belt I got busy with other things and it's been down to one or two days per week - I guess mostly to keep the motivational pilot flame lit but also due to other things just taking that time.

Too bad that you're too busy, good that you're still practicing it though

munenmusou
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Apr 2017, 2:23 pm

I recently started Kendo at our local dojo. There is a big Japanese community in my area and most of the families participate. It's particularly good for me since everything is very structured and there is a right and a wrong way to do every action.

Most of the 'do' 道 (meaning 'the way of') martial arts are very formalized vs the 'jyutsu' 術 training that is more focused on practical applications. Finding a training space and teachers that fit with your personality is key.

Another interesting martial art is Kyuudou (弓道 the way of the bow) but I don't know of any place to get serious training in my area.

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

26 Apr 2017, 2:21 pm

munenmusou wrote:
I recently started Kendo at our local dojo. There is a big Japanese community in my area and most of the families participate. It's particularly good for me since everything is very structured and there is a right and a wrong way to do every action.

Most of the 'do' 道 (meaning 'the way of') martial arts are very formalized vs the 'jyutsu' 術 training that is more focused on practical applications. Finding a training space and teachers that fit with your personality is key.

Another interesting martial art is Kyuudou (弓道 the way of the bow) but I don't know of any place to get serious training in my area.

That's good, not too long ago I learned that some people actually have different ways in how they do certain martial arts, which I think is confusing. It seems better to just have a right or a wrong way to do it

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 May 2017, 2:16 am

I took karate in elementary school because I was getting beat-up alot. I s#cked at it thou cuz of dyspraxia & I was struggling with school & homework cuz of my dyslexia & other issues so I was pretty stressed out with everything. I quit after I got the 2nd stripe of my blue belt. I don't remember anything I learned.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2017, 5:54 am

nick007 wrote:
I took karate in elementary school because I was getting beat-up alot. I s#cked at it thou cuz of dyspraxia & I was struggling with school & homework cuz of my dyslexia & other issues so I was pretty stressed out with everything. I quit after I got the 2nd stripe of my blue belt. I don't remember anything I learned.

That's too bad, but the blue belt is not bad

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 10:06 am

questor wrote:
With two bad knees, a bad back, and other health issues, I am not able to do martial arts as others do. I do, however, get around with 2 steel offset handle quad canes. I took the time to study up on using canes in martial arts, but those weren't quad canes, so the methods used with regular canes won't work with quad canes, which are heavy at the bottom end. In my study of the situation, I did see some alternate maneuvers that would work with quad canes, so I looked into the parts of the body that I should aim for if I am attacked. This was very helpful. I also make a habit of doing some practice defense moves with my canes. Being steel, they weigh almost 5 pounds each, so this is helpful. I deliberately bought steel ones instead of aluminum versions, as I am very overweight, & felt the steel ones would be better able to handle my weight. I have lost about 50 pounds since then, but am still very overweight. I will continue doing what has helped me to lose the weight, so I will hopefully keep losing it. Although they are heavy, I actually like my steel canes, as I am able to handle the weight of them. Also, it's like lifting hand weights every time I take a step with them, so it's good exercise for me.

Because of my weight and bad knees, there is no way I can run away from an attacker. I considered a hand weapon, but can't manage one while using the canes, and no mugger will stand politely by while I get one out of my tote bag or holster, so I decided not to burden myself with the extra weight, and instead chose to look into using my canes for self-defense, as they are always with me. I am pleased with what I have worked out. I just hope I never have to use them in a real-life situation.

Wow, that's fantastic. Have you thought of setting up a school for people in a similar situation? I think it would really take off, especially with the older crowd who daily feel threatened in their own homes and aren't very mobile. :)

I used to do Krav Maga (the Israeli groin-kicking martial art). I really miss it. :ninja:

W91T
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2017, 2:03 pm

Alita wrote:
questor wrote:

Wow, that's fantastic. Have you thought of setting up a school for people in a similar situation? I think it would really take off, especially with the older crowd who daily feel threatened in their own homes and aren't very mobile. :)

I used to do Krav Maga (the Israeli groin-kicking martial art). I really miss it. :ninja:

Cool, I remember I wanted to practice it too, but I couldn't find a place nearby

Alita
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2017, 12:18 am

W91T wrote:
Alita wrote:
questor wrote:

Cool, I remember I wanted to practice it too, but I couldn't find a place nearby

It's not very widespread. That's why I stopped.