Could only allowing positive feedback lead to fascism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 9:48 pm

I'm noticing a trend online, and this is mostly online due to technology but that doesn't imply it's not influenced people, whether politicians or the public.

Many sites... Twitter, Facebook (at least it included other reactions recently), Disqus... somehow only allow 'like', so people end up seeing 10 likes for a racist comment even if it could have had 20 dislikes (or did have in Disqus' case... they simply use it to re-arrange 'best' order priority, but not visibly)... this obviously can lead to bad outcomes. Twitter specifically has been used by a lot of politicians, but it's useless if all people see is "[random dictator] I have killed as many people as possible" - 2k likes... even if it's flooded by comments denouncing it, what anyone sees superficially without clicking on it and reading more is the first visceral reaction of people which could end up further diving everyone... this happens in every case to some degree, some celebrity even recommended something that made a lot of people sick... but all people see is thousands of likes...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 9:52 pm

Sounds like you're encountering quite a few idiots on the Internet.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2016, 10:21 pm

What does someone liking a comment on the internet have to do with actual politics though? I don't think the number of times somebody has liked something is going to have any bearing on swaying someone else's beliefs or opinions.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 3:45 am

If there was no way to comment your own opinion of what the person said directly below what they said, I could kind of see your point. But that is not the case. You can't press a dislike button, but you can write out why you disagree, which is way better anyway.

- Sherlock Holmes

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 7:13 am

People liking something you like, but you having no option to dislike is not a gateway to fascism.

If you want a good example of the problem you speak of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOV7_U3 ... ture=share
https://www.patreon.com/popdetective

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 7:44 am

Too much Internet...not enough Real Life.

It's true, though....allowing only positive feedback is fascistic. It can definitely lead to a Big Brother sort of situation, if not attended to properly.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 8:40 am

Without negative feedback loss of control occurs rapidly....

Bad becomes worse, very quickly.

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 12:17 am

The most useless tools on the Internet and made for people too dumb to type. These people know 2 things. How to click like or dislike and nothing else.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 3:27 am

Also, literally everyone that makes an "Adolf Hitler" or "Joseph Stalin" account on Facebook is a giant f*****g TROLL. Do you honestly think ANYBODY sees that and thinks, "Hey, Hitler's got a good point about those Jews. I think I'll become a Neo Nazi."

It's a JOKE. They're generally pretty stupid jokes to be fair, but that's all it is, and everybody knows it. 100% of the time, it's just some dumb 13-year-old boy that thinks he's really funny. Nobody takes that s**t seriously.

I think you're either spending way too much time on the internet, or not enough.

- Sherlock Holmes

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 11:29 am

On the Daily Mail "Someone please beat the holy sht out of this piglet"... was liked over 2000 times...

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 11:35 am

Mootoo wrote:
On the Daily Mail "Someone please beat the holy sht out of this piglet"... was liked over 2000 times...

What was the context?

- Sherlock Holmes

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 12:25 pm

Personally, I find that horrid and extreme whichever the context, but in this case it's referring to a child who was forced to become a suicide bomber but disarmed before that happened... in the West children are given quite a bit of leeway legally, even if the worst crimes were actually committed... but, hey, as long as we're referring to those who aren't ourselves it's not hypocritical at all...

...of course, considering it's a staggering two thousand people who apparently like "beating up piglets" I assume there's some here who'd defend the comment too... I seriously wonder if people simply have lost all imagination, though... because if only they could imagine their own child being abducted they'd surely never come to that conclusion... (I have no children nor do I have a soft spot for them nominally, but I could be bothered to listen to radio accounts of those who had already been abducted before... some people simply issue fatwas (I don't mean the religious ones, either) from their ivory tower...)

Not to mention whoever said that is the same Americans who destabilized Iraq in the first place... level of hypocrisy is unbelievable. But then, what's to expect when their nominee, king of deception, actually blames the Democrats when the Republicans invaded it...

...people are disgusting generally, but I wish the far-right and IS would just kill each other and all is ended...

ps. I just realized how reddit could have created some monolithic hiveminds that feed on positive feedback exclusively: https://www.reddit.com/r/help/comments/ ... time_limit