Is having lots of email accounts an autistic thing?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 8:23 am

My brother who is also autistic does.. I only have 4 that I use. Two different servers.

Lilblizzy
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Aug 2016, 4:42 pm

I have several email accounts as well. Each have a purpose and when I'm finished with some of them, I delete the account or forward them as needed.

I have different small business ventures, online selling, services, aliases, etc.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2016, 10:57 pm

I believe I have one with my ISP provider that I never use, except to occasionally look at my account there. I have an old Yahoo account that is now primarily used to receive newsletters. I have a GMX account that I wasn't able to log into for a long time. Because of the time that passed since I had last tried to get into it, I thought that they had terminated my account, but recently tried getting into it again, and was able to. I have decided to use that for business and entertainment contacts. I have an Outlook account that I got to replace the GMX account when it stopped working. I use that mostly for family contacts. I have a new Gmail account which I got, so I could sign up with Google Voice. This will be used for phone contacts. I was able to dumb my landline, and now just use my Tracfone and my Google Voice numbers. If I don't answer a call on my T-fone, my GV account will take the voice mail, and make a text transcript of it, and then send it back to my fone as a text message. It also provides an alternate fone number when I don't want to give out my T-fone number. I may have an email account with ProtoPage.com, as I have a home page there, and I think they may provide email accounts. Don't know, as I never bothered to check. I already have more than I need. Used to have an email account with my dial-up ISP, but then I switched to cable internet service, so I didn't need that other one. Had a Hotmail account for a little while many years ago, and had a MyWay.com email account and homepage a long time ago, but dropped both when they made changes I didn't like. My Outlook, Yahoo, and maybe the GMX account have alias email accounts, too, so it has gotten very complicated. I don't want any more email accounts. I have more than I need, as it is.

23andaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Aug 2016, 11:34 am

I have 10-15 different accounts. I use Thunderbird, which allows you to easily be logged into multiple accounts are once, but I only check 2-3 of them regularly. Each of these accounts is also further subdivided by mail filtering rules, mainly to try and control high volumes of spam and automated emails that I don't care about.

For me I think the most probable reason behind the numerous accounts is as a means of attempting to control anxiety. Through having multiple accounts I can control what emails I have to see by dedicating certain accounts to certain purposes. Often times if I have an important email that I respond to, and I don't want to see the important response sent back from that person, then this would be one specific example.

If there is a correlation between ASD and the number of email accounts then I would expect that that correlation could be perhaps explained through co-morbid conditions like anxiety or OCD. Also, surveying the autistic population only does not reveal the extent to which having many email accounts is present in the neurotypical population as well.

Axis I: 299.80 Asperger's Syndrome, 314.00 Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Predominantly Inattentive Type
Blog: http://www.23andaspie.com

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 3:18 pm

I only have like 6 e-mail accounts.

1. Main - where I have most things(gmail)
2. Important (interia.pl)
3. Work related (interia.pl)
4. Games (wp.pl)
5. Games - alts (wp.pl)
6. Replacement for stuff needing gmail I don't want to use main for (gmail).

I created more but I don't remember nor use/need them and most are probably closed now.

ThatsWhatSheSaid
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Aug 2016, 3:36 pm

I probably average 3-6 at any given time, with 1 "main" account. The others serve a specific purpose, or anonymize myself somehow.

The main gets rotated out every so often out of necessity, because I'll get on some kick that I decide is "main e-mail worthy" and sign up for DOZENS of things... and after a few "kicks" my e-mail is so cluttered it seems easier to just scrap the thing than going through all the Unsub processes.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 4:12 am

I hate to even think about how many email accounts that I have had that I forgot about. All the email is probably gone in them. I would probably have to reactivate them if I wanted to use them.

I doubt that has anything to do with autism though.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2016, 8:20 pm

I used to have 3 different YouTube accounts, and used each of them for posting videos/comments about a certain topic. One of them was for computer related stuff, another was for music related stuff, and another was for gaming. Now, I just have one, which I use for everything.

I often get tired of my username, and wish I could change it. I constantly change my IRC nickname to something that better fits my mood at the moment.

kavya
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Aug 2016, 5:03 am

yes i think so..but since i live with my family i spend considerable amount of time outside internet

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2016, 5:36 am

I've got several as well.
A main for ebay and other important things.
Business.
Then several throw always for people I don't know yet & anything that requires me to register - that way I don't have to deal with spam. (well I clean it once a month or so)

GreenAsparagus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Sep 2016, 10:32 am

I use an e-mail address I made specifically to sign up on this website :) I want to remain in control of who knows I'm autistic. I use a tool like keepass to keep track of all my accounts and e-mails etc.

This is because of the slim, but real chance that a hack takes place and a list of accounts and e-mail addresses may end up somewhere online.

But since I don't use this e-mail for anything else, no-one can figure out who I am and then deduce I must be autistic, because I have an account here. I know there are some NT people on here, but they're probably in the minority.

It's a bit like that Ashley Madison hack from a while back where people got outed as potential cheaters/adulterers because they used their personal e-mail addresses.

Graywulf
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Sep 2016, 8:41 am

I have a bunch of email accounts right now. Lord know how many i have created and abandoned over the years. I really want to condense it down to 3 - have one for personal one for internet stuff and 1 backup.

GreenAsparagus

25 Sep 2016, 2:46 pm

In light of the recent hack I've stopped using all my old yahoo mail addresses. I say recent, it happened in 2014, but yahoo pretended like it didn't happen until they couldn't get away with that anymore.

Dataunit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2017, 6:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
No correlation between the number of email accounts and autism.

You shouldn't really say something with such certainty unless you have scientific data to back it up. AFAIK, there haven't been any studies done on this hence me asking for anecdotes.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

lucas173451
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2017, 3:46 pm

I did this when I was 9. I only ever really used about three of them.

blackpaladin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2017, 3:50 pm

I dunno. I have tons, I've forgotten most of them. I just want to have That One Good Username ™ and I hate actually being discovarable online so instead I have looooaaads of aliases. Plus new special interest = take ALL the good usernames for said special interest (and then never use them ever again.. Heh.. Eh.. sorry people that wanted that username, oops.) I know I've got a new special interest (mine are usually tv shows) when I start breaking out all the new social media accounts and taking 3000 "which character are you" quizzes.