Is having lots of email accounts an autistic thing?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Dataunit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jul 2016, 11:46 am

I have over 25 email accounts, from over 10 different servers. Most people have only one or two different accounts but I like opening many to test which is the best server to use, and to use them for different purposes to prevent spam. I thought this was just a quirky thing I did, until I met another autistic person who has done the same. Does anyone else here have 10+ email accounts?

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 4:14 pm

I have like 200+ email accounts. I don't remember most of them.

I opened them to make 200+ facebook accounts over several years.

I wanted to have a "perfect account".

Dataunit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jul 2016, 5:05 pm

How would you define a perfect account? I'm afraid I don't follow.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 10:52 pm

Dataunit wrote:
How would you define a perfect account? I'm afraid I don't follow.

-One that does not show my age on the main page (took me a while to figure that one out).
-One in which I executed the hiding/privacy in the correct order, so the history was right.
-One in which I played the game I play to achieve the stats I wanted (took the most time).
-One which would take my phone number (most would say "used too much").
-One which would I was comfortable with the email letters/numbers of my email address (I wanted the shortest most reflective email signature).

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2016, 1:17 pm

I have created a dozen for single use reasons and then abandon ship.

I only use one main email and I highly recommend gmail, I have a hotmail but I don't care about it that much.

I use gmail for work, family, and mostly getting automated messages because I am not really that important and I enjoy getting those automated message too so who needs people?

Afam-dfw
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jul 2016, 3:22 pm

Dataunit wrote:
I have over 25 email accounts, from over 10 different servers. Most people have only one or two different accounts but I like opening many to test which is the best server to use, and to use them for different purposes to prevent spam. I thought this was just a quirky thing I did, until I met another autistic person who has done the same. Does anyone else here have 10+ email accounts?

Yep. I've never thought about it since I have a purpose for each email address. To help management, I do forward many of the addresses to a central collection account.

While others may find it odd, makes sense to me. I've come to accept that my way is not the right way; it just works for me.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2016, 4:02 pm

dcj123 wrote:

I only use one main email and I highly recommend gmail, I have a hotmail but I don't care about it that much.

I use gmail for work, family, and mostly getting automated messages because I am not really that important and I enjoy getting those automated message too so who needs people?

I have used Throwaway Email services for stuff like that.

Otherwise, I'm keeping 2 Gmail Accounts. 1 is my main account and the other is tied to a Virtual Machine for things I want to keep separate.

spotify95
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jul 2016, 5:36 pm

I've got about 5 or so Gmails, plus a Yahoo (that I don't use), a Hushmail (that I don't use and forgot the details to) and lots of other throwaway emails.

After a while of making new email addresses, I thought that any junk stuff can just go on a throwaway email address.

I haven't got 10+ email addresses though.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 4:31 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
dcj123 wrote:

I have used Throwaway Email services for stuff like that.

Otherwise, I'm keeping 2 Gmail Accounts. 1 is my main account and the other is tied to a Virtual Machine for things I want to keep separate.

Other then 10 minute mail, do you know of any good throwaway email?

You can shoot me a PM if you don't want to list them here, I don't know the legal side of such services so that might be safer.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 4:38 pm

At the last count I had 20 email accounts: 5 on my domain, plus assorted iCloud, Yahoo in various countries and BT accounts. Each one has a different purpose. Like the OP I enjoy testing different servers, as well as making up different names. I'm always looking for interesting or innovative email servers, so if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Sounds like it's an autistic thing ...

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2016, 2:16 pm

I have at least 30 email accounts, most of them Yahoo and Gmail. I only use and check four of them though. I have one for website communications (like, Facebook), one that I give stores when they need an email for coupons, one for school, and one for personal correspondence. I definitely love the making up different names part. I never would have guessed that this could be an Autistic thing, but perhaps.

chucmccain
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jul 2016, 5:46 pm

I have 10 myself. I like have different online shopping companies use a different email addresses. :P

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 2:47 am

I have 1.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 7:26 am

No correlation between the number of email accounts and autism.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2016, 12:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
No correlation between the number of email accounts and autism.

lol @ the wording of that, you make it sound very professional, like a doctor.

But I wonder, that might be true but what about people with OCD? And since OCD can exist along side autism, it could effect numbers. You have to factor in other problems someone with autism might have so just because one person is effected doesn't mean another person is effected in the same way. It could still equal a larger number of email accounts with people who have autism as an average with comorbid conditions.

I am not convinced basically, I need more numbers to play with before I agree.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2016, 8:18 pm

I thought I was the only one crazy, I have 5 emails accounts, I want to delete most of them, 5 too much for me to handle, I keep forgetting to delete them. Too bad I forgot my Hotmail password account.