Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 11:49 am

Was the person in advertising?

This url shows the intended content --
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInDH2FeXaM

I do love interesting animals, some kinds of people, whimsical expressions, but, rationally, I know they serve no useful purpose.

The autistic person can perform many jobs, but the Onion is like a pet rock.

I enjoyed it. I did actually laugh, although I know I wasn't supposed to.

But, who needs who, more.

comicalArchitect
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2016, 9:03 pm

I agree with OP. This video makes a joke out of autism, which I don't think neurotypicals have the right to do.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 9:19 pm

comicalArchitect wrote:
I agree with OP. This video makes a joke out of autism, which I don't think neurotypicals have the right to do.

Does that mean we don't have a right to make jokes about neurotypicals?

comicalArchitect
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2016, 9:24 pm

No, because we're an oppressed group. Neurotypicals aren't. It's like how a lot of people (myself included) consider jokes at white people's expense to be fine, while jokes about other races aren't.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 9:31 pm

comicalArchitect wrote:
No, because we're an oppressed group. Neurotypicals aren't. It's like how a lot of people (myself included) consider jokes at white people's expense to be fine, while jokes about other races aren't.

It is incredibly depressing to see a 16-year-old completely and totally brainwashed by Cultural Marxism.

The fight to recover freedom in this country is going to be very long and very hard.

There Are Four Lights!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 9:55 pm

comicalArchitect wrote:

Disadvantaged I think is more correct. Also, I think that portraying autism humorously might make more people aware of our condition and encourage them to look more into it...also maybe not see it as such a dark terrible thing. If someone made a meanhearted joke about me because I am white I'd certainly be offended I wouldn't think it's ok just because I'm not another race. However if it was in good humour then I'd probably find it funny.

comicalArchitect
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2016, 9:57 pm

Darmok wrote:
comicalArchitect wrote:

It is incredibly depressing to see a 16-year-old completely and totally brainwashed by Cultural Marxism.

The fight to recover freedom in this country is going to be very long and very hard.

Could you please explain what you mean by calling my post "culturally Marxist"? I'm familiar with the concept (though I don't tend to believe it really exists), but I don't see how it applies to this situation.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 7:08 pm

Um, not my type of humour. Can someone please explain why it is bad to not find this funny!?

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 7:31 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
Um, not my type of humour. Can someone please explain why it is bad to not find this funny!?

nothing bad with that, as far as i can see

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 10:33 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:

Nothing wrong with not being into that sort of humor.

Something wrong, IMO, with getting offended by it when The Onion exists to mock everyone and everything. It's not personal or mean-spirited.

I don't want to be cruelly mocked and belittled (I've experienced it often enough to know the difference), but nor do I want to be some fragile sacred cow that must be tiptoed around lest someone hurt my pwecious feewings.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 10:38 pm

comicalArchitect wrote:

Ah, yes, how well I remember being sixteen... Laugh a little. You'll be better off for it. And racism, by definition, is saying that the color of someone's skin entitles them to better/condemns them to worse treatment. No matter who is on the winning (or losing) end, it's wrong. You can't change history, and all trying to make up for it will do is cause it to repeat itself.

But you'll have to realize that on your own. I did. Enjoy the power and the certitude of youth while you can.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 10:49 pm

comicalArchitect wrote:

when you say that, it sounds almost like you're quoting some kind of scripture. i'm honestly curious. where do you kids these days learn that kind of nonsense that you repeat with such conviction?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 12:24 am

Eh, I've seen that headline before. It's The Onion, their sense of humor offends some people. I myself find it to be hilarious. Plus, the way I see things, it could just as easily be riffing on autistic stereotypes; they could be commenting on the absurd idea that we're all obsessed with trains, which of course we're not. Stereotypes tend to be absurd, and The Onion makes light of this.

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jul 2016, 7:11 am

AspE wrote:
It's funny because autistic people like trains.

Oddly enough, I never got into trains.

The Onion's skit had me giggling.

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 5:21 am

Marxism-Leninism = communism.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 6:00 am

That was funny. I actually laughed out loud, which I rarely do anymore. That guy really nailed it. Frankly, it makes me happy to see them put effort into creating this "autistic reporter" character. The juxtiposition of his concern for the train and everyone 's dismay at the death is hilarious.