Page 1 of 12 [ 177 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 11:06 pm

I always hear people say, like, "oooh, they cut the hands off thieves, that's so barbaric!"

Well, don't be a thief then. Problem solved.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 11:12 pm

And adulterous women can be stoned (not in the enjoyable way, either), gays thrown off rooftops, adherents to other faiths held in second class citizen status, etc.
While I have always said that fear of Shariah Law is a bogeyman inflamed by the the far right in America in order to wrangle the feeble minded, and will never, ever, come to America, the fact remains, yes, Shariah Law is pretty awful for those of us living in the liberal west.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 11:14 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
And adulterous women can be stoned (not in the enjoyable way, either), gays thrown off rooftops, adherents to other faiths held in second class citizen status, etc.

Well, I can certainly understand your objection.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 11:16 pm

No religious freedom. Don’t be a non-Muslim—problem solved.

No gender equality. Don’t be a woman—problem solved.

Really? :roll:

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 11:24 pm

Barchan wrote:
I always hear people say, like, "oooh, they cut the hands off thieves, that's so barbaric!"

I always hear people say, like, "oooh, they execute apostates, that's so barbaric!".

Well, don't change your religion, then. Problem solved.

I always hear people say, like, "oooh, they execute homosexuals, that's so barbaric!".

Well, don't be gay, then. Problem solved.

I always hear people say, like, "oooh, they punish (with whipping and/or stoning) rape victims for adultery, that's so barbaric!".

Well, don't get raped with less than 4 male witnesses present to testify on your behalf, then. Problem solved.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 11:30 pm

Barchan wrote:

it's hard to believe you're serious about that, but let's assume you are

it's clearly disproportionate. you could say "a crime is a crime. just don't do any crime". but then, among other things, that raises the question of where to draw the line. should mp3 piracy be punishable by having your ears cut off? this example alone already raises several other questions. mp3 piracy isn't exactly theft, it's copyright infringement instead. copyright law exists to protect the interests of large corporations against the interests of individuals. still, in some jurisdictions, copyright infringement can be a crime. the line gets blurred. also, it's not enforceable. that means many or most people will be doing it regardless of the punishment, and the punishment will be applied as a means to legitimize witch-hunting instead (which sounds just like iran to me)

that kind of law only makes sense in a small archaic society. which is where it comes from. it's an anachronism in today's world, and a formidable tool for abuse of power

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 11:37 pm

anagram wrote:
it's clearly disproportionate. you could say "a crime is a crime. just don't do any crime". but then, among other things, that raises the question of where to draw the line. should mp3 piracy be punishable by having your ears cut off?

Copyright infringement isn't a crime, since copyright is just a phony construct of a capitalist society.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 11:38 pm

Barchan wrote:
Copyright infringement isn't a crime, since copyright is just a phony construct of a capitalist society.

the judge says otherwise. you just lost your ears. deal with it :mrgreen:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

22 Jul 2016, 12:04 am

the whole you know apostates being killed is pretty bad

ugh condoning slavery?

beating women? stoning women? honor killings?

killing homosexuals?

killing blasphemers?

I believe they believe 'people of the book' are required to pay a tax called a jizya, convert, or be killed and polytheists I believe are only given the option of convert or die

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 12:30 am

Shariah Law is used to oppress.....

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 1:15 am

If you don't want to be profiled every time you travel, don't be a Muslim, problem solved... :roll:

Truly one of the more asinine things posted here in a while.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 4:47 am

Quote:

Ah, moderate Islam. You are such a blessing for western countries.

helloarchy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jul 2016, 5:19 am

I don't agree with a lot of Shariah law, but then it's not like America's legal system is perfect either.

"Oohh the cops shot and killed yet another black guy", well he shouldn't have been suspected of carrying then, problem solved.

The UK isn't much better either, but at least we have equality laws, no capital punishment, and our police don't kill anyone (except for incredibly rare and extreme circumstances).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 8:20 am

The police in the UK don't usually carry guns, right?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 8:22 am

Shariah Law might have been great for the 7th Century, when Islam was a steadying force within the unsteady Middle East.

Just like the Biblical Laws were wonderful for the era in which they were compiled.

Nowadays, though, it would be ridiculous if we followed both to the letter.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 8:32 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Shariah Law might have been great for the 7th Century, when Islam was a steadying force within the unsteady Middle East.

While I can understand the possible usefulness of harsh penalties for theft or adultery, I don't think killing gays or rape victims (without male witnesses) was ever "great". There's only so far you can take moral relativism.