Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 10:27 am

http://ca.askmen.com/dating/curtsmith/2 ... dvice.html
Buying a exotic sports car is likely to yield better results.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 12:18 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
Since you're seeking answers for a more natural, more into instinct-like kind of social functioning, I may or may not have a way.
Except it works for me so far and it's still incomplete.

Well, please keep me informed! I'm very interested.

@Johnnyh: I do have access to marijuana, it's legal where I am. I've noticed it doesn't seem to do much for me, though. I'm still experimenting with it. I've taken benzodiazepines before, but the effects of long-term use can be pretty scary so I'd have to give a great deal of thought to getting back on them.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 7:07 pm

AJisHere wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
Since you're seeking answers for a more natural, more into instinct-like kind of social functioning, I may or may not have a way.
Except it works for me so far and it's still incomplete.

Well, please keep me informed! I'm very interested.

The lesson plan involves pressing the right neurological buttons. This is something that oneself has to figure.

There are some accounts from the spectrum that they been 'NT' for a while. How I conclude it is that they tapped the right buttons... On accident.
Acting and scripting? They ARE using a different part of the brain that way. However, it's incorrect as it is manual as it makes interaction unnatural.

The TMS? It sounds like a direct-involuntary button pressing. The reason why it didn't work to many is that they're pressing it the wrong way. The story tells me that the right button is continually pressed and only lasted an hour.
Med assisted? It only makes the button tapping easier but only as briefly as how the med works. One knows the danger of being dependent on this.
The point is that the button for social intuition exists. ASD doesn't lack it, they just can't tap it right.

I just prefer slow but surely a long term way. :lol: I get to tap it right more often to the point that I no longer had any social exhaustion worse than any NT introvert. Better than the rare accident or not at all. The only true way I get to progress deeper than this is wisdom. But I'm only 21, and I just started at 17. You had longer experiences on human interaction.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 8:28 pm

I have had longer experiences, yes... but it's quite possible you've come up with ideas that I haven't, and I'm always happy to hear new ones. Any tool I can use to mitigate my autistic symptoms is wonderful to me.

Magi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2016, 9:05 pm

CBD oils even though they are highly overpriced.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2016, 10:02 pm

Magi wrote:
CBD oils even though they are highly overpriced.

I could try them, at least. I am doubtful the effects would be worth the expense but it might at least make me a little less anxious.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 3:05 am

AJisHere wrote:

BTDT wrote:
How about a relaxing hobby that lets you unwind? Any activity that untracks your mind from negative thought loops is likely to be immensely helpful.

I haven't found anything quite like that. I rarely have the time to. I think if I had a better social life it'd be easier; I could just go hang out with friends.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=324354&start=30
You might study Aspie1's posts. He wanted to do the same but his friends had other ideas on what they wanted to do with their lives.

" I figured we'd all go out together, to concerts, bars, dance clubs, and all have fun as a group. Fast-forward 6 months, and all I'm seeing are boring old farts talking about "love" and paying all-day visits to each other's families, abandoning perfectly masculine, couple-friendly activities we used to do all the time."

Last edited by BTDT on 26 Jul 2016, 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 3:07 am

I've seen some really interesting articles about microdosing psychedelics recently, I've got a source for them and the microgram scale to try it, so I'm going to try it out in the next few weeks, see if it works for me. The principle is to take them in doses low enough to trigger the mood elevation effect without actually causing a trip, supposed to be particularly effective on treatment resistant depression, which I most definitely have. Might not be practical if you're uncomfortable with actually illegal drugs, but I'm intrigued enough to give it a shot.

mik9
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 7:06 am

My feeling, truly, is that people with relatively mild autism, especially those aware of their "deficiencies," should use their cognition to improve their social presentation, rather than try this hormone, this substance, or that magnetic treatment.

There's a risk when you're taking hormones, vitamins, supplements, stuff like that. Your body might not mesh with the substance you're taking; it might backfire.

But making use of what you already possess, as a form of "scaffolding," I believe will go far towards alleviating the disadvantages of autism. There is no physical risk to this, unlike that found in using hormones, supplements, vitamins, and other treatments.

What I mean: Use the abilities that you already have to enhance those abilities. Make use of your knowledge of social subtleties, and implement that knowledge. "Practice," if you will.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 8:47 am

Seroquel and Gabapentin help me with specific symptoms of autism.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 8:50 am

BTDT wrote:
http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=324354&start=30
You might study Aspie1's posts. He wanted to do the same but his friends had other ideas on what they wanted to do with their lives.

" I figured we'd all go out together, to concerts, bars, dance clubs, and all have fun as a group. Fast-forward 6 months, and all I'm seeing are boring old farts talking about "love" and paying all-day visits to each other's families, abandoning perfectly masculine, couple-friendly activities we used to do all the time."

Ha! Yeah, that can happen.

Dox47 wrote:
I've seen some really interesting articles about microdosing psychedelics recently, I've got a source for them and the microgram scale to try it, so I'm going to try it out in the next few weeks, see if it works for me. The principle is to take them in doses low enough to trigger the mood elevation effect without actually causing a trip, supposed to be particularly effective on treatment resistant depression, which I most definitely have. Might not be practical if you're uncomfortable with actually illegal drugs, but I'm intrigued enough to give it a shot.

I'll add that to the list of possibilities.

@mik9: Thank you, that's very helpful information! Good to have some science behind what “treatments” might be BS.

kraftiekortie wrote:
My feeling, truly, is that people with relatively mild autism, especially those aware of their "deficiencies," should use their cognition to improve their social presentation, rather than try this hormone, this substance, or that magnetic treatment.

There's a risk when you're taking hormones, vitamins, supplements, stuff like that. Your body might not mesh with the substance you're taking; it might backfire.

But making use of what you already possess, as a form of "scaffolding," I believe will go far towards alleviating the disadvantages of autism. There is no physical risk to this, unlike that found in using hormones, supplements, vitamins, and other treatments.

What I mean: Use the abilities that you already have to enhance those abilities. Make use of your knowledge of social subtleties, and implement that knowledge. "Practice," if you will.

I don't think anything you say here is wrong. I've followed this advice for many years before even coming here. However, I seem to have hit a wall. I've improved a great deal from where I was, but have been unable to make any further progress on my own, and unable to find any help. So barring something else, I appear to be stuck.

I am open to anything that works, regardless of risk. If you can suggest some form of therapy or other help that is less likely to have unintended consequences, I'm all ears. But I can't do this on my own. I can't just “use my talents” anymore because I've reached the limit of what they're able to do and yet I'm still not where I need to be.

I'm still curious what you meant earlier about a “field”, too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 9:11 am

A "field":

Medicine, nursing, advertising, architecture, software development, hardware repair.

Sometimes, one hits a "wall." A certain amount of stagnation is inevitable; one cannot always progress all the time. Hitting a "plateau" might be a way to rest. It's frustrating hitting the "plateau," and feeling stagnant.

But stagnation is inevitable. Eventually, people usually progress from stagnation.

What I'm saying: maybe the "wall" is temporary. Maybe you can even breach it without effort.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 9:19 am

Maybe the problem isn't the lack of social skills, but the fact that people like to associate with people of similar interests--more than the mutual desire to hang out and socialize. You may be stuck because you don't have enough time to develop any hobbies or interests--even the most socially skilled people have difficulty socializing with people they have nothing in common with. Or, even if they could, why would they want to?

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 3:27 pm

For f-'s sake! There is no such thing as an autistic gate. It is 100% complete non-sense debunked bull hockey. Its not an opinion. They have done studies. There is no such thing.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 7:54 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
A "field":

Medicine, nursing, advertising, architecture, software development, hardware repair.

Sometimes, one hits a "wall." A certain amount of stagnation is inevitable; one cannot always progress all the time. Hitting a "plateau" might be a way to rest. It's frustrating hitting the "plateau," and feeling stagnant.

But stagnation is inevitable. Eventually, people usually progress from stagnation.

What I'm saying: maybe the "wall" is temporary. Maybe you can even breach it without effort.

I understand what you're saying. I appreciate your concern, and the sentiment you have here.

I've spend enough time stagnating, though. I really cannot do it anymore, I refuse to do it anymore and I will not adopt a “wait and see” mentality about my situation. Consider that I may have actually reached the limit of what I can do on my own, and that I may need help to progress further. I am looking for that help and am willing to take risks in search of it. If you believe some of the options I am exploring are unwise or unhealthy, I welcome any alternatives you can propose but I reject “hang in there” as an answer.

In short, my current status quo can't hold up any longer.

As regards my field; I'm a grocery store clerk. It's not a job I want to be doing for all that long, it's probably not very good for me (even if I'm good at my job), but it keeps a roof over my head. I don't have a lot of options left for now and I don't even know what I'd study if I went back to school. The things I am passionate about are things autism makes me ill-suited for. The things I find interesting, I don't find important. I don't have a special interest and really, really don't want one... but I do have deeply held morals and values that are not satisfied by the life I am living and that conflict with what autism seems to incline me to do.

I really hope this doesn't come off as dismissive or as too confrontational. :oops: I really am glad you're trying to help, but I want to get these points across. They are very important to me.

BTDT wrote:
Maybe the problem isn't the lack of social skills, but the fact that people like to associate with people of similar interests--more than the mutual desire to hang out and socialize. You may be stuck because you don't have enough time to develop any hobbies or interests--even the most socially skilled people have difficulty socializing with people they have nothing in common with. Or, even if they could, why would they want to?

I didn't say that I don't have interests, I said that I don't really have any that serve to make me feel better about myself or help me to relax. Even when I'm with people of similar interests I feel like there's this huge, oppressive barrier that isn't supposed to be there. A lot of times, being around people with similar interests just reminds me of what's missing.