Does Methylphenidate can help my in my Asperger?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 8:30 am

Ritalin messed me up and I have ADHD. It deals with your concentration issues by putting you into a pseudo flight or fight reflex. The problem is that tends to dull your emotions except fear and anger which just made my issues with emotional connection worse. It didn't help that the idiots that prescribed it to me prescribed far too much (50 mg three times daily) causing the problems to be exacerbated even more. Trust me, don't go on Ritalin or any other ADHD medication if you can help it.

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 9:19 am

Nist498 wrote:
Ritalin messed me up and I have ADHD. It deals with your concentration issues by putting you into a pseudo flight or fight reflex. The problem is that tends to dull your emotions except fear and anger which just made my issues with emotional connection worse. It didn't help that the idiots that prescribed it to me prescribed far too much (50 mg three times daily) causing the problems to be exacerbated even more. Trust me, don't go on Ritalin or any other ADHD medication if you can help it.

What may help, as a child I had found ADHD and I was very unruly child (for example, when I was 6 years old, I was traveling with my mother to Warsaw by train wanting to necessarily pull the handle of the emergency brake, wanting to see how it works :mrgreen: ), this changed when I was about 10 I became more calm, but I still have problems with concentration.
Then, as a 15 year old my previous psychiatrist who retired, diagnosed me, Asperger's Syndrome

I still have, I can not focus attention on what is important

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 11:58 am

Then very careful and take the time to research the medications the doctor prescribes you. You don't want them over prescribing or giving you something that has nasty side effects.

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 12:23 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
And what country you are, if I may ask? :)

mystery country 3000 :)

i'm pm'ing you the answer. i prefer to keep it in between the lines in the open forum

Nist498 wrote:
It didn't help that the idiots that prescribed it to me prescribed far too much (50 mg three times daily) causing the problems to be exacerbated even more.

8O that's insane! i didn't even know it was legal anywhere to prescribe that much ritalin

i normally take something like 30mg to 150mg a week. and i take week-long breaks sometimes to "detox" a little (especially because i need to take some xanax along with the ritalin. i try not to take it every day). on average i've probably been taking monthly what you were prescribed to take daily. this much ritalin already makes a huge difference to me, and i can't take more than this, no way

edit: your signature is very fitting here in this thread btw. this...thread. no pun intended, i swear! :lol:

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 5:15 pm

Nist498 wrote:
Then very careful and take the time to research the medications the doctor prescribes you. You don't want them over prescribing or giving you something that has nasty side effects.

I heard that this drug improves concentration?
I would like to be able to concentrate without breaking into thousands of thoughts.

Maybe i'm not hyperactive now (despite i was a lot hyperactive when i was kid :mrgreen: ) But i have problem with focusing.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 5:34 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
I heard that this drug improves concentration?
I would like to be able to concentrate without breaking into thousands of thoughts.

Maybe i'm not hyperactive now (despite i was a lot hyperactive when i was kid :mrgreen: ) But i have problem with focusing.

if i were you i wouldn't expect it to solve your daily problems though. stimulants may help you, but they will not cure you, not even if you take them regularly. they're short-acting drugs that you take for specific purposes and for particularly important occasions. it's a tool to help you accomplish tasks. like, taking it daily to focus on work or study. that's a valid use, as long as the side effects don't build up (which they tend to. so always take as little as you can). or taking a pill when you're going on a flight, if it will help you face all the hassle and keep you from getting in trouble

but if you're clumsy and forgetful and distractible overall, then no medication will change that. at least not without serious consequences that completely defeat the purpose. for all those little things in your daily life, you need to be creative and devise your own strategies instead. like, "if i'm prone to forgetting my wallet at home, i can put a bright-colored post-it note on the front door". if you count on medication to solve those kinds of things, you'll be in trouble. because it won't solve any of that, and on top of it you'll have new symptoms that you didn't have before

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 9:37 pm

I've been taking methylphenidate (Concerta 54) for my ADD, and it seemed to help with motivation problems. It's supposed to increase dopamine levels in the brain. I've been experiencing chest pain and fast heart rate over the past two years, and I finally figured out that methylphenidate is causing that. When I take it, my appetite is gone, my heart races, and I get occasional chest pain, but I feel energized. When I don't take it, my heart feels a lot better, but I also feel like napping all day. My energy will probably return to normal once I spend a few weeks off the medication. I don't want to depend on some drug for basic function all of my life.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2016, 9:41 pm

saxgeek wrote:
When I take it, my appetite is gone

that's a given, btw

@op: if you have trouble remembering to eat, that's something to take into account. you can end up losing a lot of weight without even noticing, and it can also be bad for you mental ability in general if you don't make it a point to stop and eat throughout the day

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 6:11 am

So without an official ADHD diagnosis I won't be prescribed ritalin or adderall by a GP in the UK?